Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

Wow so because i don't rate Herd i must be trolling, do you honestly think he is a good footballer? I'm sick of people applauding that kind of football, as long as he tackles hard and runs around a lot you're happy with that are you? He can't even play an accurate short pass, having players like him in the team means the football will always be ugly.

Wow so because i don't rate Herd i must be trolling, do you honestly think he is a good footballer? I'm sick of people applauding that kind of football, as long as he tackles hard and runs around a lot you're happy with that are you? He can't even play an accurate short pass, having players like him in the team means the football will always be ugly.

Well I wouldn't go quite as far as that but I don't really rate him either. I think if we had any other half decent defensive central midfielder he wouldn't be in the team. he's done OK at times but his first touch, control and vision when running with the ball are just not up to premiership standard. He's still young though (although maybe old enough to be able to trap a ball).

However you wont get many people wanting to listen to that opinion on here so you'll just get slated if you carry on with it.

I would however keep him as cover at right back or even turn him into a right back. He did very well there and the position suits his game better with his energy and tackling coming more to the fore. Teach him how to cross and he'd be a decent prospect there.

If he was truly awful then he wouldn't even be in the team. I can understand not rating him, but truly awful is going a bit too far.

I actually think his passing is ok to be fair. Anyway, his main job in midfield is to protect the back 4, which he's not done a bad job of so far.

Wow so because i don't rate Herd i must be trolling

No; the fact that you're trolling means you're trolling. If you'd just said "I don't rate Herd, for me his passing is way below standard", that would be "not rating" him. What you actually said was at best hyperbole for a cheap laugh, at worst a complete load of balderdash and poppycock.

Trolling, either way though.

I like Herd a lot. Energy, pace, power, good in the air. Admittedly his ball playing needs to improve but we need to get another CM close to him - Bannan or Delph for me - and find someone who can link the two sitters with Bent - Ireland or GG BUT NOT the Powerhouse!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I saw he was starting I was disappointed as I didn't think GG had let anyone down with his couple of starts.

However I thought Herd was very good in 1st half so glad to be proved wrong.

He tired in 2nd half and seemed to lose the game mentally along with the rest of them

I've no problem with Herd starting as I like him and I don't think he lets anyone down. Trouble is I feel the same about Bannan and Gardner. Thankfully it's not my job to choose. But with Petrov in the side, I think maybe Stan should be doing the Herd role with someone like BB or GG further forward. So it's not a criticism so much as it's a tactical necessity.

What I really like about Herd is he seems genuinely suited to that role. A few times I saw him hunting people down and winning the ball which did remind me of the Mascherano's, Makele's and Keane's who just love to tackle.

My worry over him is whether his possession is good enough at top level. As I've said before I think against the top sides this weakness has been exposed before.

However that can definitely improve as it will hopefully with all our kids as they get more experience.

Whether or not Gardner has talent, Herd has done miles more when given a chance to claim the shirt. Gardner will get his chance but it wont be at the expense of Herd i'm sure.

Long term. we're probably looking at a Herd, Gardner, Bannan, Albrighton midfield. They all compliment each other and know each others games inside out (far more than they know other senior pro's games of course). You've got the graft/energy of Herd in the defensive role. You've got Gardner's attacking threat and goal scoring ability. You've got Bannan's quick brain and set piece delivery, and you've got marc's crossing and tireless work ethic (and a few goals too). And as already said, the one main ingredient is they all know each other inside out. A unit working as a collective is far better than having four individuals playing their own game.

When they've all developed a bit more and gained experience it could work a treat. There's only one way we'll ever find out

Morley - Albrighton

Bremner - Herd

Mortimer - Gardner

Cowans - Bannan

I felt Herd was really good against Blackburn in the the first half, but faded in the second due to fatigue. He hunted the ball down well, and his distribution was decent. His positioning was good and he played whole heartedly.

It was really encouraging to see, I think he's a good option for us at the moment and if we keep playing him he could develop into quite a good player.

Â