Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

Well the current word appears to be that van Gaal is going to come in as a director of football or something and, apparently, Rodgers coming in to be head coach.

If that happens, van Gaal will either not be at the club or will be manager inside... lets be optimistic, 18 months. Probably more like less than a year. Van Gaal is notoriously a complete word removed and impossible to work with, he pisses off everyone he works with.

Surprised Rogers is going there to be honest, he was doing great things at Swansea and surviving 'second season syndrome' would have opened up the Premiership's eyes to him being a genuinely good manager. Now he's going to a poisoned chalice of a job, he'll finish outside the top 4 (and rightly so with that squad, even with decent investment) and then forever be seen as 'that manager who had the one good season in the PL'.

Oh, and he'll never be able to work with Van Gaal. The guy is apparently impossible to work with.

To be honest I'm still not quite convinced that Rodgers will take it. If he does... well, I suppose you have to say he's got some balls.

The van Gaal aspect is apparently more or less a given now however it seems. Even 5Lives reporter earlier one was saying it's seeming to be a near inevitability. It just seems like a terrible idea. Undoubtedly the man knows how to make a side successful. He also will turn everyone inside a mile of him against him in the process - he's just a clearing in the woods. This is a man who, when his players questioned if he had the balls to do something (I forget the exact details), he dropped his trousers and pointed out just what balls he had to ease their doubts.

I don't think anyone could work under him for any length of time.

Gylfi hasn't actually signed for Swansea yet so if the Rodgers thing goes through, I'd expect him to move to Liverpool instead.

Gylfi hasn't actually signed for Swansea yet so if the Rodgers thing goes through, I'd expect him to move to Liverpool instead.

Yep same here, sadly. I personally would love to see both Gylfi and Rodgers arrive at VP but clearly it's not going to happen.

Personally I think Rodgers is the best young manager out there, Liverpool will have made a very good choice if they appoint him.

Think Rodgers is flash in the pan. Look at the mess he left at Reading
Reading is the one blot on his CV. Most managers in time will have one blot; where things just don't work out despite the manager not because of him. He left Watford in good shape and has taken Martinez's work at Swansea to a different level altogether. I don't think Rodgers is a flash in the pan.

There's really very little point in Liverpool appointing Rodgers in the hope that they will turn into some kind of elite football team over night.

Swansea have instilled this footballing philosphy that runs right through the club, which has been there since Martinez managed them. The managers are picked because they fit in with the style of football desired by the club (Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers), not because the club expect them to 'bring' a certain footballing style to Swansea.

Liverpool will need to do much more than steal Swansea's manager if they want to play football like them.

Agree with Trent, Rodgers is the best out of that category and I can see him becoming a really good manager for Liverpool. They will need to give him time though.

Time ?!

If Liverpool don"t anything for 3 seasons they think its a failure and look for another manager.

Pat Murphy on 5Live reckons Rodgers to Liverpool is only a matter of compensation agreements from being confirmed, and also suggests that there'll be no DOF role above him.

So looks like Swansea will be wanting a new manager. I hear theres a Scot recently available...

Not that I begrudge Rodgers the move or anything, because I think it makes total sense, but he has shown how quickly managers turn. He ruled himself out of the Liverpool job at a time when they weren't in for him. So he was showing loyalty at no risk to his career at that point. Then as soon as they show interest, he takes the job. Which wouldn't be so bad had he not said what he said a week ago. Funny old game. This all assumes he has taken it of course :)