Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I don't get it BJC10, why so incensed? Isn't this what you say about Makoun as well? Call a spade a spade dude. Personally I'd prefer a midfield partnership of Makoun-Delph, than Stan and Delph. Stan really slows the team down imo, especially when we try to break on the counter. Someone like Makoun wouldn't hesitate to spray out a quick outlet pass, but Stan...well let's just say hesitate is a massive understatement.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it BJC10, why so incensed? Isn't this what you say about Makoun as well? Call a spade a spade dude. Personally I'd prefer a midfield partnership of Makoun-Delph, than Stan and Delph. Stan really slows the team down imo, especially when we try to break on the counter. Someone like Makoun wouldn't hesitate to spray out a quick outlet pass, but Stan...well let's just say hesitate is a massive understatement.

You mean like the quick "sprayed" pass he gave to Bent on Saturday to set up Gabby's goal? Way too much hesitation with that one. Or maybe you mean the quick snap shot he had that lead to Bent's goal on Saturday. Yes I agree Petrov slows us down way too much. Especially after 60 minutes when he's clearly so knackered he... No that can't be right can it!

Sometimes safety first is best, sometimes you have the movement ahead of you to allow the quick pass. Sometimes the manager dictates the way you play.

You mean like the quick "sprayed" pass he gave to Bent on Saturday to set up Gabby's goal? Way too much hesitation with that one. Or maybe you mean the quick snap shot he had that lead to Bent's goal on Saturday. Yes I agree Petrov slows us down way too much. Especially after 60 minutes when he's clearly so knackered he... No that can't be right can it!

Sometimes safety first is best, sometimes you have the movement ahead of you to allow the quick pass. Sometimes the manager dictates the way you play.

I'm not saying Petrov is constantly hesitant, I agree he does have his moments. But generally speaking, he is slow...and holds the team back going forward more often than not.

Petrov isnt the player he was at Celtic and isnt the best in the permiership but he is OUR best midfelder bar none. Not going to create a lot but des everything else to keep the team ticking along. Would like to see him replaced next year but it will take a good player to replace him.

Or maybe you mean the quick snap shot he had that lead to Bent's goal on Saturday.

You are really clutching at straws if you are using that hopeless shot to support your argument for Stan. A bit like the pass to Walker last year on the half way line that played him into trouble until he beat a man and scored a screamer where the Petrov advocates were claiming an assist!

Personally, I do not necessarily have a problem with his slow/hesitant distribution, although I would prefer a more progressive player. My biggest argument against Stan is the lack of movement - both defensively where he fails to track runners/players ghosting into space behind him and his inability to pass and move.

I will say that there is no obvious replacement for him in the squad at the minute, although if I were Big Eck I would have sought hard to buy a replacement for him in this window if he could have been off loaded. I would like to see a three with Makoun and Delph at the base given a shot.

im not sure those are the best examples to give to prove petrov is quick at getting rid of the ball. he had and took an absolute age to pick that pass, no one was closing him down. he did thread it nicely past the first defender though.

and a quick snapshot for bents goal? again he had so much time, no blackburn player bothered to get anywhere near him. probably because they knew he would do a rubbish scuffed shot as he usually does. fortunately for us blackburns defender messed it up and we had bent who is immense at seizing on little errors like that. any competent defender there would have either let it go harmlessly wide or block it properly. holding that up as excellent work on the ball is crazy, imo. as barry'sboots said its like saying he got a good assist to walkers goal.

that said i do like stan. i think he is an excellent captain (all the younger players say how great he is with them) and i think he has good technical ability. he keeps things ticking over in the middle of the park and he reads the game well. he is good on the ball and i think has the capabilities in him to move the ball quickly and accurately, and to play good creative passes. my issue is that he doesnt do it nearly enough. too many times he does take too long, does slow it down too much and takes the safe option when a little more invention is required. he also does sometimes struggle in the later stages of games in terms of fitness. however hes still one of the first names on the teamsheet for me, though we really need to be looking at a replacement who can take his place soon.

I'm a massive fan of Stan, although I can see that he's not quite the player he was 2 years ago. But he has a better football brain than the rest of our midfielders put together, and far more experience than most of our team have. And we haven't had a player who gives the ball away less than Petrov since Sid's time. This is such an un-English trait, but so bloody important. Still one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

You are really clutching at straws if you are using that hopeless shot to support your argument for Stan. A bit like the pass to Walker last year on the half way line that played him into trouble until he beat a man and scored a screamer where the Petrov advocates were claiming an assist!

There was nothing to claim, it was given as an assist because it was the last pass before Walker scored, just like Bent's back pass to gabby against blackburn was also an assist.

The reason it came up was because people were complaining that petrov didn't pass it out wide but by not doing that we scored albeit because of great individual work from Walker.

You are really clutching at straws

Like claiming petrov was poor and the weak link the season both the fans and players voted him the best player that season? :lol:

Your ability to discuss and debate continues to astound. :shock:

I wasn't impressed with Petrov that season and clearly many were - doesn't make me wrong, just puts me in the minority on a subjective matter. I have set out my reasons why I see it that way. Maybe you should try the same?? Being in the majority doesn't make you automatically right - see Hitler and WWII if you need a reference point.

But you keep living in the past and repeating the same two lines.

Being in the majority doesn't make you automatically right - see Hitler and WWII if you need a reference point.

Bit off topic, I guess, but I don't think Hitler was ever in the majority?

Germany, Italy, Japan (+ for a while Russia and in an offhand sort of way Spain) vs the rest of the world.

Pretty decisively a minority, I'd say! :winkold:

Being in the majority doesn't make you automatically right - see Hitler and WWII if you need a reference point.

Germany, Italy, Japan (+ for a while Russia and in an offhand sort of way Spain) vs the rest of the world.

He was in Germany.

He was in Germany.

I assume that means you believe he was in the majority in Germany. Actually he wasn't, of course, but I don't think a topic on Petrov and Mortimer's rather media-hungry views on him can really carry the discussion this would need.

Also, you mentioned

Hitler and WWII

WWII happened in the world.

You are really clutching at straws

Like claiming petrov was poor and the weak link the season both the fans and players voted him the best player that season? :lol:

Your ability to discuss and debate continues to astound. :shock:

I wasn't impressed with Petrov that season and clearly many were - doesn't make me wrong, just puts me in the minority on a subjective matter. I have set out my reasons why I see it that way. Maybe you should try the same?? Being in the majority doesn't make you automatically right - see Hitler and WWII if you need a reference point.

But you keep living in the past and repeating the same two lines.

God, you're bringing Hitler into it now?!?!

As repeating the same thing... in the 2 1/2 years you've been on VT you've been banging the same anti-Petrov drum the entire time. It's as if it's your raison d'etre! There are as yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon jungle who know that you don't rate Petrov.

There are as yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon jungle who know that you don't rate Petrov.

Then my work is done. :winkold:

I think the same tribe probably knows that you rate Petrov very highly BUT at least they know why I don't rate him!

Â