Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Have to say, lovely ball from Clark to set up Stan today - if that was a ManUre/Citeh/Arsenal move MOTD would be a spunkathon!

Wasn't a counter attacking goal neither... we completely outpassed Chelsea leading up to the 2nd goal and not for the 1st time in the game either.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of get the feeling these great recent performances are his way of sticking two fingers up to the club board as I think it was Fuse a few weeks back who said Stan was informed the club wouldn't take up the one year option in his contract and he would be free to leave in the summer.

He doesn't have a one year option. He signed a 4 year contract in 2009 and that contract still has 18 months left to run.

He continues to perform as he has this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for another year on top of the 18 months remaining on his contract.

One things for sure he will be hard to replace as a player and a leader.

Only saw the 2nd half today, thought his positional play was good, he always plays better when he has more men around him but I stick with saying he's not the great player that people seem to think he is when he's in a 2 man CM. He looks a much better player when he gets in more advanced positions, definitely not a good holding CM at the PL level.

Dont think anyone is saying he is a great player, but a bloody good player and clubman for the team. Was not too chuffed to see him made captain, but has proved me totally wrong. Having the likes of Herd and especially Clark alongside him is giving him the chance to go forward more. Best player this season for me as well

Only saw the 2nd half today, thought his positional play was good, he always plays better when he has more men around him but I stick with saying he's not the great player that people seem to think he is when he's in a 2 man CM. He looks a much better player when he gets in more advanced positions, definitely not a good holding CM at the PL level.

Dont think anyone is saying he is a great player, but a bloody good player and clubman for the team. Was not too chuffed to see him made captain, but has proved me totally wrong. Having the likes of Herd and especially Clark alongside him is giving him the chance to go forward more. Best player this season for me as well

But my problem is many people on here do actually think he's a fantastic player, as in he's better than Modric, Parker, Mascherano, Barry etc, I could name more. I've always thought he's just too slow and not quite at the pace of the English game for the most part, although he has had some very good games and played well the 2nd year he was here.

I'd put Given, Gabby and possibly Dunne ahead of Petrov for player of the year, the rest of them apart from Herd have looked ordinary.

I think he's better than Barry.

I think he can sometimes be better in a backs to the wall kind of way but overall Barry sees things quicker, is a better passer, has better control, is a better tackler and can play in more positions than Petrov. Plus he's a better captain innit.

An outstanding Club man. Deserves his captaincy for his leadership by example and commitment to the cause. This is his sixth season at Aston Villa, no one should doubt the part he has played over these years. A roller coaster period for the Club and sometimes a roller coaster for Stan.

Our most consistent player this season. sometimes lacks the legs these days but never the desire or the effort!

One thing I noticed yesterday was the way he was marshalling the troops, calling people for loose defensive work and geeing up the midfield.

People often criticise him for not being a strong enough Captain but he certainly seemed to be doing his job yesterday, as well as scoring an excellent goal.

And four goals in the first half of the season in the context of some of our performances is an important and telling contribution. Just checked Wikipedia and two or three seasons in Scotland he averaged a goal every three matches. So he does have this finishing ability in his locker.

Yes I know he has been used more as DM since joining Villa and clearly doesn't have the legs these days to be the true 'box to box' midfielder he clearly once was; but I loved it when he pushed up in the last ten minutes or so and although Clark's pass was so simple, he did take that goal, our key winning goal, so well!

Â