Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I thought Gardner looked a bit nervous today.

We did play Man city so it's understandable. He had nothing to do with the ball because no one looked like they wanted the ball. I want to see Gardner start when Ireland is also starting.

He was poor really but then you look at any players today from midfield/strikers and they were poor. Gary Gardner from what I've seen in small glimses and read is a midfielder who is going to get the ball, move it on and then get himself into the box and into positions to affect the game. Every time we had the ball, he seemed limited and cautious, I'll put it down to tactics in the way we approached the game, he had no lisence to play to his strengths. We rarely got the ball and when we would, he'd be put under pressure very quickly giving him few options and with our movement, he could do very little but pass the ball backwards and sideways. He is clearly a good footballer though but if we are going to play him then you have to least youngsters do what they are best that and he wasn't given that role today.

Havn`t seen him play that deep before , also no aggression, I think he was playing to orders, he`s a much better player than

that, don`t remember him giving the ball away though. Agood debut but not as good as G Barrys debut.

Was Barrys debut against a really shite Cov team when we won 2-0 away?

Home to Arsenal. Played in a back 5 - had a fantastic game.

Yes, from one game.

It was tough for him but I actually found myself thinking a couple of times, "Your brother would be doing better here."

His first home game start, he's been asked to play deep as part of the manager's tactical approach, he's up against one of the best midfields in Europe. And he's nineteen years old.

The kid did well and he will prove to be a top, top player.

Tough game, some decent passes but De Jong and Barry knocked him off the bit a bit easily at times.

He'll learn. Is he allowed to start in a winnable home game (if there is such a thing anymore) at home to Fulham or Bolton? If so we'll see more quality especially if Ireland is on the pitch aswell.

Havn`t seen him play that deep before , also no aggression, I think he was playing to orders, he`s a much better player than

that, don`t remember him giving the ball away though. Agood debut but not as good as G Barrys debut.

Was Barrys debut against a really shite Cov team when we won 2-0 away?

Home to Arsenal. Played in a back 5 - had a fantastic game.

...in a much better Villa side than this current one. I think that Villa side had won about eight or nine on the bounce.

Yes, from one game.

It was tough for him but I actually found myself thinking a couple of times, "Your brother would be doing better here."

I think that's a little harsh. Craig would have suited this 'style of play' better, which is probably why McLeish bought him for sha. Gary is at his best going forward, I think, which he was explicitly told not to do today.

Thought he didn't do his best, but part of that comes from trying too hard I think.

The kid's only 19 going up against one of the top midfields with a CM partner that's short on steam and legs. There's only so much ground he has to cover AND impact the game as a playmaker.

It was heartening, at least, that when he got the ball he turned forward and tried to beat a man instead of taking the easy pass backwards. Hopefully his confidence going forward isn't shattered by the utterly negative tactics now employed at VP.

It must be a huge reality check fit a kid in his second start to be playing against the likes of Silva and Aguero dancing around you like they have the ball on a string. If he has a bit of character about him he'll see that as a challenge to show how hard he needs to work to get to the top. Not a great game but a fantastic learning experience.

Should'nt have started imo. Yes he is the brightest prospect at the club, but to give him his full home debut against the league leaders, who we were never going to match in the middle of the park was a little stupid imo.

Good learning experience i suppose.

Im still in no doubt what-so-ever he will become a top Prem player.

He spent most the day watching the ball launched over his head to Heskey on the right wing, and then watched as Man City won said ball and began another attack. he played some composed passes and controlled the ball well in the most, but my excitement at seeing what he could do was destroyed by the tactics (discussed in many places!)

Â