Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Can't afford to have him and Westwood in the same midfield together

This. For me he looks an upgrade on Westwood when we play 3 in the middle (which we do need to do) but definitely need to play instead of him,  not as well as him. 

Hopefully after January we don't have to see either as regular starters. 

Great header though and better celebration,  didn't look like much of a nose then did he! 

• Like 1

According to Whoscored our midfield 3 had a passing accuracy of:

Gardner: 37%

Jedinak 37.5%

Westwood 56.5%

Now that is just abysmal. I just can't fathom how bad that is.

A large part of that comes down to either tactics, or lack there of, since our go to game yesterday was to punt it in panic towards an isolated and out muscled Kodija.

Nice goal thou, great for him to score in THAT game, delighted for him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

wont see a better header this season if honest, goals wise he could be our Lampard and with Jedinak and Tshibola he could be very effective

I think this is the important bit. He's not going to be the engine in the midfield. He needs to be able to drift about. Both he and Jedi benefit from someone more dynamic alongside them.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 17:51, sne said:

According to Whoscored our midfield 3 had a passing accuracy of:

Gardner: 37%

Jedinak 37.5%

Westwood 56.5%

Now that is just abysmal. I just can't fathom how bad that is.

A large part of that comes down to either tactics, or lack there of, since our go to game yesterday was to punt it in panic towards an isolated and out muscled Kodija.

Nice goal thou, great for him to score in THAT game, delighted for him.

Yes but I bet the  Leicester midfield passing accuracy last season wasn't that great either. I hate that stat because theres too many variables to consider with it.  

35 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but I bet the  Leicester midfield passing accuracy last season wasn't that great either. I hate that stat because there's too many variables to consider with it.  

True.

But in this particular game it was obvious that our players main objective when on the ball was to get rid of it as soon as possible any way they could. A lot of the time by hoofing it aimlessly hoping to hit it somewhere on the opposing half where an isolated  Kodija might be. The low % was not because they tried and failed making ambitious through balls or played at a high tempo.

That was not how Leicester used their limited possession, they had very clear passing outlets to either Mahrez or long towards Vardy.

Edited by sne

9 minutes ago, sne said:

True.

But in this particular game it was obvious that our players main objective when on the ball was to get rid of it as soon as possible any way they could. A lot of the time by hoofing it aimlessly hoping to hit it somewhere on the opposing half where an isolated  Kodija might be. The low & was not because they tried and failed making ambitious through balls or played at a high tempo.

That was not how Leicester used their limited possession, they had very clear passing outlets to either Mahrez or long towards Vardy.

I thought Gardner was the worst offender that game, he didn't even try to pass it. Every time he got the ball, he booted it, whereas Jedinak tried to pass it a couple of times. I think it was a specific tactic from Bruce (though he's prone to booting it for no reason under normal circumstances too)

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I thought Gardner was the worst offender that game, he didn't even try to pass it. Every time he got the ball, he booted it, whereas Jedinak tried to pass it a couple of times. I think it was a specific tactic from Bruce (though he's prone to booting it for no reason under normal circumstances too)

Yeah that's how I saw it too, and as you say it was probably partly down to tactics from Bruce. 

Play it safe, don't lose the ball in key areas...

• Like 1

I thought vs Blackburn was his best performance in a Villa shirt to date. Though personally I don't think he has been half as bad as some would present. Looking back I thought he was decent against Derby and has turned a corner of sorts under Bruce. 

I find it a bit ridiculous, but unsurprising, that having made his first few starts for the club in over 4 years people were willing to write him off so quickly. He has performed adequately at this level for both Brighton and Forest over a number of years. Perhaps based on that people expected more, or expected him to hit the ground running, but it's not always that simple. Maybe he found the weight of expectation when finally being a regular for his boyhood club weighing him down at first, or maybe he just starts the season a little slower than others. Maybe there were fitness questions, man management issues. Who really knows, but I am fairly confident that he is 'adequate' and with Jedinak he forms the basis of a decent spine at this level. 

They need a third with more ability, that could be Tishbola or Bacuna with Westwood as the 5th choice, through till January at least. Whatever happens though, I'm pleased for Gary. He is a Villa fan and he has been through the mill, at the grand old age of 24 he is finally getting his shot here. If we hadn't gotten ourselves relegated it may never have come, but it's here now and it's up to him to grab it with both hands. We should support him in that, not deride him for having a shakey beginning.

One thing according to the stats that we are not seeing yet is his aerial ability. Combined with Jedinak, Baker, potentially Tishbola and Chester who has a magnificent leap we have the makings of an aerially dominant side. 

• Like 2

I like him as an individual but he needs to improve if we are realistic about getting out of this league.
I don't think he is a bad player but he doesn't do enough for me at the moment. A slightly better option than Westwood.

Our midfield still badly let's us down in comparison to our strike force and our improving defence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I like him as an individual but he needs to improve if we are realistic about getting out of this league.
I don't think he is a bad player but he doesn't do enough for me at the moment. A slightly better option than Westwood.

Our midfield still badly let's us down in comparison to our strike force and our improving defence. 

It depends what we are asking him to do. If Jedinak defends, Gardner carries out the nuisance role and A.N. Other is the creative force then I don't see much of a problem with him playing a major part, assuming his recent form continues. Are Bacuna and Tishbola good enough to play the more advanced role? Maybe, maybe not. Certainly an area we can improve in that is unquestionable. It's a squad game though and Gardner as a part of that squad is fine with me, as he is. 

What you've said there, and this isn't necessarily a dig at you, reinforces my opinion that people were expecting too much of him. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It depends what we are asking him to do. If Jedinak defends, Gardner carries out the nuisance role and A.N. Other is the creative force then I don't see much of a problem with him playing a major part, assuming his recent form continues. Are Bacuna and Tishbola good enough to play the more advanced role? Maybe, maybe not. Certainly an area we can improve in that is unquestionable. It's a squad game though and Gardner as a part of that squad is fine with me, as he is. 

What you've said there, and this isn't necessarily a dig at you, reinforces my opinion that people were expecting too much of him. 

Oh, I was absolutely expecting too much of him! I'll put my hands up on that one.

Listen, I don't think he is a bad player and I like his passion but something isn't right in our midfield, is it him? Jedinak? I don't know. 
We simply don't dominate games enough in the middle of the park and I think Gardner is one of the reasons we don't. That said, I do think he is improving and I really want him to be great for us because he obviously loves the villa. (See celebration against Blues).

UTV

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Oh, I was absolutely expecting too much of him! I'll put my hands up on that one.

Listen, I don't think he is a bad player and I like his passion but something isn't right in our midfield, is it him? Jedinak? I don't know. 
We simply don't dominate games enough in the middle of the park and I think Gardner is one of the reasons we don't. That said, I do think he is improving and I really want him to be great for us because he obviously loves the villa. (See celebration against Blues).

UTV

I agree with the general point. I'm not sure if dominating the middle of the park is a Bruce tactic, he's always played a more direct, wide style of football. However I absolutely agree that at the moment we are lacking a touch of final third quality in there. I thought Tishbola would provide that but he is absent at the moment, for reasons that are unclear to me. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree with the general point. I'm not sure if dominating the middle of the park is a Bruce tactic, he's always played a more direct, wide style of football. However I absolutely agree that at the moment we are lacking a touch of final third quality in there. I thought Tishbola would provide that but he is absent at the moment, for reasons that are unclear to me. 

i dont think Brucie rates him particularly highly. Tishbola one week looks excellent the next looks like poor, very inconsistent from him. Hopefully he bounces back like Gardner has while being out of the side

Â