Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Needs to hit the weight room and work on his physicality. At least Westwood puts himself about. Gary gave away so many passes last night that I lost count. I hope Jedinak can shout some sense into Westy and Gary because they're waaaay too lax.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No chance will hughes was outstanding gardner was so average next to him. Hughes looks like a real cm, think he would be a perfect addition to our midfield!

Stats don't always win you an argument, but lets see who got MOTM on this well know site https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084904/Live Considering he is getting to know his team, and Will Hughes played with his team last year, not bad. 4 games in, I'm not ready to write him off yet.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

that shot though was something else I might even call it Tonev like :P

I think if he played a bit further forward he could do damage with his shooting ability

I agree, until they pushed Hughes forward he was pants. I think he needs to get on free-kicks and corners also, and get McCormack in the box.

I don't think he was as bad as people are saying. He did ok and was part of a team that kept Derby away from getting clear chances, and if he had scored from that shot people would have been singing his praises.

I don't know who said it, but if its the freekick "dead center", that im thinking of, it was Westwood who gave it away.

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'd rather see him work on his speed!

Gardner-and-Grealish-gards22.jpg

lol @ Grealish. 

I think Gardner was better than most are saying.. reason being defensively he was superb.. but that always goes unnoticed. Statistically backs that up. Going forward.. offered very little.. but that wasnt his job that day.. he and Westwood were sitting midfielders.. we have 4 others who did nothing too. His shot was great and he has that in him.. he can be a match winner with that shot as he proved in the past. Thought he was poor in previous games but hes getting better. His passing needs work. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KSV said:

lol @ Grealish. 

I think Gardner was better than most are saying.. reason being defensively he was superb.. but that always goes unnoticed. Statistically backs that up. Going forward.. offered very little.. but that wasnt his job that day.. he and Westwood were sitting midfielders.. we have 4 others who did nothing too. His shot was great and he has that in him.. he can be a match winner with that shot as he proved in the past. Thought he was poor in previous games but hes getting better. His passing needs work. 

Exactly...

He seems to have becoming something of a whipping boy, he really isn't as bad as some make out.

Ultimately though he by the end of the window going to be behind Jadinek, Tishbola, Westwood plus I think we'll see another arrive yet. So realistically he is our 5th choice central midfielder, given we are sadly currently a Championship club I think that is better than should really be expected.

• Like 3

He just got the basics wrong imo. 

There have been multiple occasions over the past few games when we've been in a position to counter attack, and so many of his passes have been so over-hit. If he could iron out his passing a bit, he'd be fine.  

I keep hoping for him to come good but I felt he was carried again against Derby. He had a few nice plays and a great shot but his basics are just lacking. I really worried when seeing him line up against Derby and tbf to him he was ok but after the games i've seen him play this season he just doesn't cut it for me. 

Â