Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I think he's missed too much football at such a crucial age. I'm amazed he didn't go out on loan this season too. Sadly I think he'll be released in the summer.

I really hope not. He's barely had a chance to prove himself. Lambert played him in pre-season and he scored a quality free kick, maybe he'll get a 1-year extension to show what he can do, injury free, next year.

Still think it'd be worth giving say a 2 year deal and seeing how he can progress, would be pretty stupid to release him as he's returning to fitness and shaking the rustiness/lack of confidence that comes with a long injury lay off. It took delph ages but we've got a decent player on our hands now.

Obviously doesnt mean gary will be exactly the same but deserves the chance.

If tonev, grant holt, sylla and KEA get to play for the first team why the **** are we not going to give GG a chance to live up to his potential?

because he's had a series of serious injury problems. read his tweet up the page about playing for U21s: "Good to get 90 minutes today first one for a while! Disappointed with the result but another step back to full fitness"

do you really want us to rush him into first team action before he is fully fit? wouldn't be fair on the player & it would risk another injury setback.

I hope he gets given as much chance as possible to make it here, but the fact is he's hardly been fit since Lambert took over.

Has hardly been given a chance to prove himself in the first team. There is talent there. We shouldn't let him go on a free in the summer. Would even sign him on a new 2 year contract and send him straight out on loan if not going to be able to prove himself in our first team.

Edited by VillaRoy

Lambert admits he needs to see the youngster steer clear of the treatment table and force his way into senior contention before fresh terms can be considered.

He said in the Birmingham Mail: "He's trained the last few weeks now and he was on the bench at Liverpool.

"He's doing all right. It's hard for him to get in the side at the minute and he knows that himself, but he needs games that's for sure.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9150149/premier-league-gary-gardner-playing-for-aston-villa-future

would have thought the issue is not about him being expensive at this stage, but more of a case of being over 21 and therefore taking one of the 25 squad places... with a full squad, for everyone to come in, one has to go out, and i'm guessing GG is the number 25 or thereabouts in our squad in lambert's opinion at the moment...

i hope the lad gets another year - he's a good fella and certainly wants to be there... not sure about his ability at this moment, as haven't seen him play for a couple of years...  

Â