Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Had an interesting conversation with the people around me yesterday about Guzan. I love Guzan, 2 of us think he's a real quality keeper for the premier league but at the same think he is a bit over rated. We gave an example as Marshall from Cardiff, always seems to pull off worldies, looks a bit better IMO. I know Guzan is part of our spine, and is an older head, but I don't think he's been as consistent as he was last season. I just think sometimes it 'seems' a bit easy to score past Guzan when you compare to other keepers. Still, happy with him and is definitely a leader in our dressing room.

Marshall reminds me of Paul Robinson. Great shot stopper and looks quality on MOTD.

But look closer. Marshall is such a flapper. He'd get pelters from us if he was our keeper. Pulls of some great saves but there's more to a keeper's game than that.

He's also quite good at making routine saves look incredible, which is what Robinson used to do as well. Ball straight at him, anothing keeper might catch it, but Robinson would palm it over the bar, flicking his legs behind him and rolling a thousand times as he hit the ground, cure oooohs and aaaahs from the crowd, followed by me going "he could have flipping caught that!"

Lloris is playing behind a shit defence at the moment in fairness to him. their offside trap yesterday was absolute garbage and 2 goals from defensive errors

as for Guzan I wouldn't swap him for another keeper in the league and Im not afraid to admit that

Rating Guzan highly is perfectly alright, but saying he is miles better than the first choice keepers at Arsenal and Liverpool is bizarre. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, which is obviously what you are going to get on a forum, but let's not carry away and accept all opinions as of equal value. Ronaldo is miles better than Agbonlahor, Hummels is miles better than Baker, Guzan is pretty close to the guys mentioned above. Am I talking Guzan down? Hells no, I am only speaking positive about him. If he in fact is miles ahead, then we will have bidding war in the summer - and I suspect we will not. I want us to keep him for the rest of his career, because he is solid and consistent, the two most important assets in the game for a goalkeeper. Also, he is one of our best players. However, every team in the bottom 10 would say their GK is top 3 in the league, from Marshall to Vorm and Foster. None of us would swap Guzan for theirs and none of them would do the same for Guzan. The true verdict probably lies somewhere in between?

Rating Guzan highly is perfectly alright, but saying he is miles better than the first choice keepers at Arsenal and Liverpool is bizarre. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, which is obviously what you are going to get on a forum, but let's not carry away and accept all opinions as of equal value. Ronaldo is miles better than Agbonlahor, Hummels is miles better than Baker, Guzan is pretty close to the guys mentioned above. Am I talking Guzan down? Hells no, I am only speaking positive about him. If he in fact is miles ahead, then we will have bidding war in the summer - and I suspect we will not. I want us to keep him for the rest of his career, because he is solid and consistent, the two most important assets in the game for a goalkeeper. Also, he is one of our best players. However, every team in the bottom 10 would say their GK is top 3 in the league, from Marshall to Vorm and Foster. None of us would swap Guzan for theirs and none of them would do the same for Guzan. The true verdict probably lies somewhere in between?

I've already said "miles better" was an exagerration so why are you still arguing the point?

Guzan IS better than MIgnolet and Szczesny though. I'll not back down on that statement.

Lloris is playing behind a shit defence at the moment in fairness to him. their offside trap yesterday was absolute garbage and 2 goals from defensive errors

as for Guzan I wouldn't swap him for another keeper in the league and Im not afraid to admit that

Each to their own. For me, that's like saying you wouldn't swap Benteke with Suarez or Vlaar for Kompany. If you're saying it because you are found of him as a true Villan and so on fine, but I just want us to have the best available squad. Guzan is a fine goalkeeper, but if the market agreed with your sentiments he would play for a better club than Aston Villa. Especially if he's "miles better" than Szszesny and Mignolet! Is he even the first pick for USA?

Especially if he's "miles better" than Szszesny and Mignolet! Is he even the first pick for USA?

I've already said "miles better" was an exagerration so why are you still arguing the point?

This is how I'd rate PL goal keepers

1. Lloris

2. De Gea

3. Cech

4. Hart

5. Guzan

6. Howard

7. Begovic

8. Mignolet

9. Krul

10. Szczesny

11.Vorm

12. Bored now

I'm not saying that's an exact list, but that's where I'd rate Guzan for sure. I do really think he's that good.

Szczęsny 10th? He has played very well this season bar a couple of games.

Seems harsh. But would I have him ahead of any of the top 9 in my list? I don't think I would.

Like I said, it's not an exact list. One or two places here or there. So maybe you could put szczesny 8th instead.

But I definitely wouldn't have him ahead of the top 7 there

Mignolet is no different than Given. a great shotstopper but a cross into the box and he is all over the place. Szczesny is a potential great keeper but he is young and has rash errors in him Villa, Bayern, Chelsea for example

interesting that we conceded 42 goals while Liverpool have conceded 38 and compare the quality of defenders its quite impressive

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Exactly. Szczesny is competent, of course. But I don't think he's spectacular and he's not terribly reliable.

How many howlers has Guzan made this season? Proper mistakes?
Harsh sending off against Liverpool? That's about it from my memory.

Guzan isn't good enough at distribution or sweeping or general having the ball at his feet to be up there with the best in the league.

But he's good enough at everything else to put him just below those top 4 keepers, imo. 

Exactly. Szczesny is competent, of course. But I don't think he's spectacular and he's not terribly reliable.

How many howlers has Guzan made this season? Proper mistakes?

Harsh sending off against Liverpool? That's about it from my memory.

Guzan isn't good enough at distribution or sweeping or general having the ball at his feet to be up there with the best in the league.

But he's good enough at everything else to put him just below those top 4 keepers, imo. 

But then it could be said how many times has Guzan given us a performance where you would say Guzan won us that one.

Arsenal and Norwich early in the season, I can't think of any since. In general, it has been a pretty average season for Guzan and I intend no criticism by that. He has been solid enough but not spectacular by any means.

Â