Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Guzan isn't the best in the league, that's for sure. He's a good keeper and one we're lucky to have.

Some are saying he's not had as good a season this year but i think that our defence, alhtough inconsistent and wobbly at times, has imporved on last season so he hasn't had to be called upon as much. you then tend only to notice the goals, many of which he can do ntohgin about. Look at Stooke yesterday. 3 shots in the first half and three goals. The first one from odemwingie was the one he had the best chance of saving. sometimes they go in and soemtimes they don't. The other two he had no chance on earth. It was all from poor defending not goalkeeping. the last goal again he had no chance and it came from Gabby(i think) losing the ball in the middle third of the pitch leaving us open to then counter.

I think we need a strong defensive midfielder who can break up play to sit alongside Delph (box to Box) and Westwood (who keeps things ticking over doing the simple stuff). Add in an attacking midfielder and let's seehow Okore gets on after his injury.

Whilst i don't think he's the most defensive minded i think someone like Moussa Dembele would be great for us. So composed on the ball. That said i think he's well out of our range.

• Like 1

I think Guzan is one of the best, I watch a whole lot of matches from different teams this season and Guzan is up there with the best for me. One thing that cannot be understated is that most of the keepers in premier league is top quality, a lot of good goalkeepers currently in my opinion. From what I have seen this season, I think Lloris has actually been a worse keeper, but that is my opinion. Marshall has also been excellent this season. Krul probably has had the best performance this year, I think it was against spurs(?) Just an excellent match, you can`t do it better than that.

I love Brad here, one of the most important Villa players we have at the moment and I really hope it will be for some time too come. And in some ways, this is his second season in top flight where he is a starter. Every keeper is prone to mistakes and they will happen, no matter what.

Look at this from Cech, who I feel is the best one in the league

Around the 2:50 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51Oe35zgfs

He is also a leader and has a great attitude, which is important to overall morale, just ask fut players. !!

Maybe I am just wearing some villa glasses but Guzan deserves more credit than he is given, at least by others.

I do however want some competition for places, not sure if Steer can really step up yet but it`s always good to have someone on their toes.

I'd agree with the standard of keeper in the prem being high. It really is at the moment.

That list I posted earlier, I got down to 11 and hadn't included people like Ruddy, Marshall, Boruc, Adrian, Foster, Manoni and Stekelenberg. None of whom are bad at all.

He's miles better than Szczesny and Mignolet.

I think Mignolet will be Liverpool number 1 for a while though. he's decent enough and they spent big money on him (for a young keeper)

Arsenal are probably most likely out of the big teams. But I don't think it's anything we need to worry about in the immediate future.

Now this is the kind of thing that annoys me with forums such as this one, the ever-present overrating of certain individuals. In no way is Guzan miles better than Szczesny or Mignolet. Not a single fan from their teams would take Guzan over them, and no single pundit in the world would say anything close to what you are saying. They are all good goalkeepers, all of them being best at stopping shots, and I would even say Mignolet is above the other two when it comes to that department. None of them are particularly great at distribution, which is very important in my opinion, so that's why none of them are mentioned among the elite goalkeepers in the world or the Premier League for that matter. The level of the goalkeepers in the Premier League is very high in general, switching Guzan with Marhall, Vorm, Boruc, Ruddy, Howard, Krul, Begovic or Stekelenburg wouldn't change anything for us I think - but if De Gea, Cech or Lloris was swapped with someone else they would feel it instantly. Being a goalkeeper for a top team is immensely different from standing in goal for a team that often loses, gets many shots on goal and often ship in two at the back during a weekend. How many times don't we see a player like Guzan or Marshall get MoTM even though the team lost 3-0? If Hart or De Gea ship in one decent shot and they lose, they always get the blame or big tabloids thrown at them. Every time Guzan makes a mistake, nothing is written - but when Joe Hart loses a soft goal it's a huge problem. It's easier to look great for Aston Villa or Norwich, compared to Man City and Liverpool.

Guzan is safe, he is dependable, he is consistent - just like 10-12 other goalkeepers are in the Premier League. He is, however, not even close to being one of the best. Ask anyone supporting a team in the bottom 10 and they'll most likely tell you that their goalkeeper is top 3 in the league.

I sort of agree with that but i really don't see it with Mingolet, he is out of place at a top club imo. Certainly Brad is one of the best in the league at coming for high balls and crosses, Mingolet is an amateur at this.

Schzeny has had a better season at Arsenal but is still prone to rushing out of his goal at times too much, I actually think Fabanksi is the better all round keeper at the club.

I would've said Lloris was the best in the league but I agree he hasn't been the same since the head injury and he's got very lucky at times playing sweeper-keeper, Reina was far and away the best playing that role at Liverpool.

I'd probably say the best in the league currently is Dea Gea who's pulling off magnificent saves behind an awful Man. United back 4 and is excellent on crosses now compared to when he first came into the league.

I think Mignolet will be Liverpool number 1 for a while though. he's decent enough and they spent big money on him (for a young keeper)

Arsenal are probably most likely out of the big teams. But I don't think it's anything we need to worry about in the immediate future.

Now this is the kind of thing that annoys me with forums such as this one, the ever-present overrating of certain individuals. In no way is Guzan miles better than Szczesny or Mignolet. Not a single fan from their teams would take Guzan over them, and no single pundit in the world would say anything close to what you are saying. They are all good goalkeepers, all of them being best at stopping shots, and I would even say Mignolet is above the other two when it comes to that department. None of them are particularly great at distribution, which is very important in my opinion, so that's why none of them are mentioned among the elite goalkeepers in the world or the Premier League for that matter. The level of the goalkeepers in the Premier League is very high in general, switching Guzan with Marhall, Vorm, Boruc, Ruddy, Howard, Krul, Begovic or Stekelenburg wouldn't change anything for us I think - but if De Gea, Cech or Lloris was swapped with someone else they would feel it instantly. Being a goalkeeper for a top team is immensely different from standing in goal for a team that often loses, gets many shots on goal and often ship in two at the back during a weekend. How many times don't we see a player like Guzan or Marshall get MoTM even though the team lost 3-0? If Hart or De Gea ship in one decent shot and they lose, they always get the blame or big tabloids thrown at them. Every time Guzan makes a mistake, nothing is written - but when Joe Hart loses a soft goal it's a huge problem. It's easier to look great for Aston Villa or Norwich, compared to Man City and Liverpool.

Guzan is safe, he is dependable, he is consistent - just like 10-12 other goalkeepers are in the Premier League. He is, however, not even close to being one of the best. Ask anyone supporting a team in the bottom 10 and they'll most likely tell you that their goalkeeper is top 3 in the league.

I sort of agree with that but i really don't see it with Mingolet, he is out of place at a top club imo. Certainly Brad is one of the best in the league at coming for high balls and crosses, Mingolet is an amateur at this.

Schzeny has had a better season at Arsenal but is still prone to rushing out of his goal at times too much, I actually think Fabanksi is the better all round keeper at the club.

I would've said Lloris was the best in the league but I agree he hasn't been the same since the head injury and he's got very lucky at times playing sweeper-keeper, Reina was far and away the best playing that role at Liverpool.

I'd probably say the best in the league currently is Dea Gea who's pulling off magnificent saves behind an awful Man. United back 4 and is excellent on crosses now compared to when he first came into the league.

If Covak wasn't bad enough... 

57320139579da85533680af5ec9c180f73e11564

Begovic is someone who wouldn't look out of place at a top club imo, Liverpool really should've signed him ahead of Mingolet and Man. City probably would if Mancini had stayed.

Excellent at crosses and shot stopping and think he'd have the temperment to be at a top club. In fairness there are a lot of good keepers in the prem, I made the thread on OT a few months back and it's difficult to actually place keepers in order as there's not a lot between them. I actually think for example Ruddy is the worst in the league but sure others would disagree.

For me Guzan's problem and the reason why teams in the top 6 won't be in are he's too slow off his line to anticipate danger, imagine him playing for Spurs! There was even an incident on sunday when the ball was running towards the penalty area, Ron was waiting Guzan to come but by the time he started to come out of his goal the Stoke player had nearly nipped in but luckily fouled Vlaar in the process.

I think that's the weakeness of his game and has caused a few defensive problems. For example if he'd been quicker to anticipate danger he'd have got to the ball before Suarez and no penalty would've occrued. Also the Sidwell goal at Fulham can be another example.

Still love Brad though.

If Covak wasn't bad enough... 

57320139579da85533680af5ec9c180f73e11564

Ha I can never get the Arsenal keeper's surname right which is not great considering I'm half Polish!

You missed out the typo on "Dea Gea" aswell....;)

For me Guzan's problem and the reason why teams in the top 6 won't be in are he's too slow off his line to anticipate danger, imagine him playing for Spurs! There was even an incident on sunday when the ball was running towards the penalty area, Ron was waiting Guzan to come but by the time he started to come out of his goal the Stoke player had nearly nipped in but luckily fouled Vlaar in the process.

That's Vlaar's fault though.

If Guzan hasn't called for it then Vlaar should deal with it, not wait for his keeper to come when he hasn't had a shout.

Fair enough if you think Guzan SHOULD have come out and claimed it. But the mix up was Vlaar's fault (assuming Guzan didn't shout for it and then not come for it, which I can't imagine)

The thing is, the number of shots on goal has been dramatically reduced this year. Often, the goals Guzan gives up are 1v1's where the advantage goes to the attacker.

I still think that Guzan gives up a soft one especially if it's low, but he makes up for it by being dominating in the air (I think hes top in the league at claims) and making routine saves and covering up the ball. When's the last time Guzan spilled it?

Edited by Kwan

To be honest, I don't remember many gaffs from Guzan in terms of flapping in shots a la Hart season or cock-ups like Lloris is prone to do with his feet. The last true mistake I remember was against Fulham a few weeks ago when he went after player/ball when Sidwell was already covered by Bacuna (I think). Had he stood still, like he obviously should have done, it would never been a goal. But hey, stuff like that happens. 

To be honest, I don't remember many gaffs from Guzan in terms of flapping in shots a la Hart season or cock-ups like Lloris is prone to do with his feet. The last true mistake I remember was against Fulham a few weeks ago when he went after player/ball when Sidwell was already covered by Bacuna (I think). Had he stood still, like he obviously should have done, it would never been a goal. But hey, stuff like that happens. 

Even that is harsh criticism in my opinion.

He parried a shot in the Newcastle home game that Gouffran tapped in so that was an error.

But yeah his handling is generally very good from long range shots (watch one go through his fingers on Saturday now I've said that!)

in fairness from what I remember and probably wrong wasn't it a really good save that fell to Gouffran, was bad defending from what I recall. even then that was 4th game of season so incredible consistency since then

He parried a shot in the Newcastle home game that Gouffran tapped in so that was an error.

But yeah his handling is generally very good from long range shots (watch one go through his fingers on Saturday now I've said that!)

in fairness from what I remember and probably wrong wasn't it a really good save that fell to Gouffran, was bad defending from what I recall. even then that was 4th game of season so incredible consistency since then

I wouldn't blame that Newcastle one on him, that was Lowton ball watching.

Even that is harsh criticism in my opinion.

I'd disagree that it is. Ultimately when any player is shooting from a very acute angle, the one thing the keeper should do is simply stay on his feet, make himself as big as possible which effectively then means that it requires something special to score from such a scenario. Going to ground as Guzan did was inexcusable.

Still though, every keeper is entitled to such a error once in a while just as all players are. It's just the sad reality that goalkeeping errors are a lot more noticable as they nearly always result in a goal for the opposition.

Â