Brad Guzan

R.Bear

He's a good keeper -- solid mid-table, unlike the rest of our Championship squad. Bad day at the office.

He really isn't. Shite goalkeeper, I'm better with the ball at my feet

Edited by Arj Guy

He's a good keeper -- solid mid-table, unlike the rest of our Championship squad. Bad day at the office.

I agree with you in terms of ability.

But it's undeniable that mistakes have crept into his game.

If he keeps the mistakes up then it's no use being a good keeper because he'll cost us points.

He is a good goalkeeper. But it's futile if you cost goals with howlers.

In no conceivable way is he a mid-table Premier League goalkeeper. Apart from Bournemouth, he wouldn't start for a single other Premier League team. If you mean he's a mid-table Championship goalkeeper, then you're getting closer to the truth. 

It's not really that valid. People have been observing we need a better keeper for months now. We don't have to have a Rolodex of every keeper playing in Europe to make that point. The point was being made during the transfer window as well, when we actually had the opportunity to buy a replacement. 

This.

It's the same as the 'who else will take the job/who could definitely do any better' mantra that was used as a last resort argument in favour of retaining Lambert. Ultimately we can only pass comment on the performances of the player in question and whether we feel they are to an acceptable standard. We are not in control of - nor do we have foresight into - what the club will or will not do when it comes to addressing this. However in this case, there are hundreds of keepers out there. With a bit of well conducted scouting, I see no reason to presume that the club are not in a position to find at least one who will be an improvement on Guzan.

Yes. At the end of the day, we're in a position to pay higher wages to a starting goalkeeper than all bar 25 or 30 other clubs in the world. Goalkeepers don't get to move very often either, so it's not like outfield players who get snapped up instantly. We could easily find someone better than Guzan. 

The problem is dropping him last year but not securing a replacement in the summer, we've ended up with the worst case scenario, a keeper who is under pressure, out of form and clearly not really wanted by the manager.  He was one of our best players for too long to become a Championship-level keeper.  I still think there is a more than good enough keeper in there, perhaps a new manager would help him too.

Edited by sharkyvilla

In no conceivable way is he a mid-table Premier League goalkeeper. Apart from Bournemouth, he wouldn't start for a single other Premier League team. If you mean he's a mid-table Championship goalkeeper, then you're getting closer to the truth. 

You can't be serious. He has a respectable save percentage and has faced more shots on goal than the vast majority of his PL peers. Granted, he's had a few howlers.

I'm deadly serious. Name a goalkeeper in the Premier League, who starts every week, who is worse than Guzan. You just might get away with Boruc/Federici at Bournemouth. There isn't a single other starting goalkeeper he's better than. 

I'm deadly serious. Name a goalkeeper in the Premier League, who starts every week, who is worse than Guzan. You just might get away with Boruc/Federici at Bournemouth. There isn't a single other starting goalkeeper he's better than. 

I think John Ruddy at Norwich is a lot worse. That one Palace had lets in some pretty easy goals aswell.

I think John Ruddy at Norwich is a lot worse. That one Palace had lets in some pretty easy goals aswell.

Palace have Hennessey, who's definitely a better keeper. I agree Ruddy is a bit pants. I still don't think he's actually any worse than Guzan though. 

Â