Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I never realized hart made that many errors. I always thought it was just a few but wow those were some dreadful mistakes. 

Granted, Zlatan's wonder goal at 1:50 or so for Sweden isn't really on Hart. That was pure magic.

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

Like him or loathe him, he's the best we've got.

Bunn and Steer are dreadful. 

Bunn hasn't put a foot wrong and has better distribution than Guzan. When he played for Norwich in the PL he did very well and they were gutted he left. I wouldn't swap Guzan for the next 2 as too much pressure but next mistake he's got to give Bunn a chance. 

I also think Bunn looks OK from what I have seen.  I remember he was quite impressive in some pre-season games.  I know he cocked up against Notts County but all our keepers do that!   Be interested to know why people think Bunn is dreadful - is it something he has bunn? 

Bunn hasn't put a foot wrong and has better distribution than Guzan. When he played for Norwich in the PL he did very well and they were gutted he left. I wouldn't swap Guzan for the next 2 as too much pressure but next mistake he's got to give Bunn a chance. 

Bunn was bang average during pre-season and i'm pretty sure that if Guzan had given away that penalty against Notts County it would have been called a massive, horrendous mistake.

Bunn is fine. I think he's a good back up and have said ever since we signed him.

But if Guzan had put in the performance that Bunn did vs Notts County then this thread would have exploded.

Is it not right though that context has some part in the reaction of fans though?

A new player making an error in an early appearance is at that stage an isolated incident, which may or may not go on to be repeated.

An error from a established player who has made a number of errors is not viewed in isolation and the reaction is different.

Irrespective of your view on Guzan and without getting into an debate on the number or frequency of errors, surely you can accept that the two things are different and its understandable that they are treated/reacted to differently.

• Like 2

Bunn is fine. I think he's a good back up and have said ever since we signed him.

But if Guzan had put in the performance that Bunn did vs Notts County then this thread would have exploded.

Is it not right though that context has some part in the reaction of fans though?

A new player making an error in an early appearance is at that stage an isolated incident, which may or may not go on to be repeated.

An error from a established player who has made a number of errors is not viewed in isolation and the reaction is different.

Irrespective of your view on Guzan and without getting into an debate on the number or frequency of errors, surely you can accept that the two things are different and its understandable that they are treated/reacted to differently.

I agree completely.

My post was in response to the statement that Bunn hadn't put a foot wrong. Which just isn't true. No context is needed for that statement to be untrue.

I completely understand the point about context. For example, Guzan is under fire from fans so everything he does is criticised. We've seen that context in this thread for months.

Edited by Stevo985

The worrying thing about the mistake last week was that it was from coming for a cross, something that I think most of us would agree is one of Brad's 'strong' points.

As a goalkeeper myself, it just looks to me like his confidence is shot. His distribution has always been average at best, but when you see Brad making mistakes in areas he normally excels in then you get the impression that something is up.

Yep, I'd say that's something he's usually good at. Looked to me as if he thought he was getting there ahead of Dyer comfortably and was going to take it into his chest, and realised at the last second he wasn't going to make it so tried to punch it, but much too low down to make it work.

It was a poor mistake.

But, it's his first big error of the season, hopefully he won't commit many (or any) more.
He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would have a crisis of confidence. If it is that then we're in trouble as they're very hard for a goalkeeper to recover from.

He came flying out for the penalty v Notts. Conceding three in that game dosen't suggest he's got premier league clean sheets in him.

Guzan is still the most capable of getting us to only concede 1s or even keep clean sheets so still in for me.

I think above all a new first team keeper will be coming in January.

He came flying out for the penalty v Notts. Conceding three in that game dosen't suggest he's got premier league clean sheets in him.

Guzan is still the most capable of getting us to only concede 1s or even keep clean sheets so still in for me.

I think above all a new first team keeper will be coming in January.

January? Don't see it. Who is going to be selling a quality keeper during the middle of the season?

Summer seems more likely.

He had a good game today.

As far as I could see he had two bad kicks. One which was a bit of a hospital pass to his wrong foot that he booted into touch. And one near the end which he probably rushed and went straight down the middle.

Not that the rest of his kicking was amazing, just didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, two or three really good saves today.

Â