Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Seriously undervalued is our Brad. Which is great for us. In his current form and that of last season he could stand up to the likes of Begovic and Mignolet, who are both very good keepers too, very well.

His biggest sticking point for me is his distribution, the team will often have it in a great attacking area, pass it around all the way back to the defence keeping possession well (this is where we need a great AM who has that bit of magic*) and then the defence knocks it about a bit, cant push it forwards, panics and gives it to Guzan who then lumps it forwards and we lose possession. It happens a lot and it's been happening for a while now. It's not particularly Guzans fault but his kicking isn't great so it makes it worse.

But anyway, back to Guzan, seriously undervalued. The more under valued players we get the better. Lowton and Westwood the others.  

*At the minute if we dont break on the counter, we pass it round like described above and try and work it to Lowton making a late run and rely on him to create the killer ball. It's great that he can do it, but when he cant find it we have absolutely nothing in terms of creativity. An effective, creative AM would probably alleviate this entire issue for me

• Like 1

My guess is that Luna expected Guzan come for it, then Guzan saw what Luna expected meaning he was a bit slow out. So just my opinion without being there but was probably Luna's error. Doesn't need much communication if Guzan shouts KEEPERS (or similar) its his, if he doesn't deal with it yourself.

I adore Guzan, he's an absolutely brilliant player and I'm so glad we have him. I can literally only remember one howler he has ever made in the time I've been watching him, and it didn't lead to a goal. Thankfully nobody seems to be trying to buy him, because I think we'd REALLY miss him if he went.

He used to make quite a few howlers. His weak point used to be crosses and set pieces. We conceded many goals in cup games, years ago, due to that weakness in his game. Luckily, he's worked and worked on that, and now seems a much better keeper because of it!

I love him. He seems to really like the club too. I hope he's our GK well into his 30s.

What a keeper, imagine him behind the 09/10 defence, we'd have conceded 5 goals that season.

Loved his celebrations at the end aswell, proper villa keeper.

Probably my one criticism of him is he's a better slow off his line at anticipating danger. Not at crosses but today in the first half Luna was desperate for him to come out and claim the ball with Walcott behind him, Brad belately did but lost it and we managed to scramble it away so would like his position to be on the 6 yard box rather than routed on the goalline especially as I imagine when Okore is eventually in the team we'll continue playing a high line.

That was Luna's fault, not Guzan's. Can't fault Brad on that one, not when it was Walcott chasing Luna, given his speed. The issue was that Brad was likely unsure if he'd get there before Walcott or not, and was relying on Luna to put it out of play

Remember to Luna doesn't speak English yet. Can probably put that incident down to a communication failure.

I doubt it.

In that situation Guzan would be shouting two things

either "KEEPER'S" or "AWAY" (or something similar). And probably the first thing a keeper would tell his defence are those two things. So Spanish or no Spanish, Luna should be aware (and Guzan should have made it him aware) of what Guzan would shout in that situation.

I'm not saying it was Guzan's fault. Quite the opposite, as a fellow keeper I sympathise with him. In those situations a lot of times you (the keeper) would shout "AWAY", and the defender decides otherwise and you end up getting stick for it even though you'd already made your decision. Ok that decision may have been wrong in a perfect world, but if Luna smacks it out of play straight away then nobody would have noticed.

Anyway, it's a minor point

I adore Guzan, he's an absolutely brilliant player and I'm so glad we have him. I can literally only remember one howler he has ever made in the time I've been watching him, and it didn't lead to a goal. Thankfully nobody seems to be trying to buy him, because I think we'd REALLY miss him if he went.

He used to make quite a few howlers. 

I'm not sure he did. I just think that one game against blackburn tainted his reputation amongst us. I was at fault for thinking the same thing.

What a keeper, imagine him behind the 09/10 defence, we'd have conceded 5 goals that season.

Loved his celebrations at the end aswell, proper villa keeper.

Probably my one criticism of him is he's a better slow off his line at anticipating danger. Not at crosses but today in the first half Luna was desperate for him to come out and claim the ball with Walcott behind him, Brad belately did but lost it and we managed to scramble it away so would like his position to be on the 6 yard box rather than routed on the goalline especially as I imagine when Okore is eventually in the team we'll continue playing a high line.

That was Luna's fault, not Guzan's. Can't fault Brad on that one, not when it was Walcott chasing Luna, given his speed. The issue was that Brad was likely unsure if he'd get there before Walcott or not, and was relying on Luna to put it out of play

Remember to Luna doesn't speak English yet. Can probably put that incident down to a communication failure.

I doubt it.

In that situation Guzan would be shouting two things

either "KEEPER'S" or "AWAY" (or something similar). And probably the first thing a keeper would tell his defence are those two things. So Spanish or no Spanish, Luna should be aware (and Guzan should have made it him aware) of what Guzan would shout in that situation.

I'm not saying it was Guzan's fault. Quite the opposite, as a fellow keeper I sympathise with him. In those situations a lot of times you (the keeper) would shout "AWAY", and the defender decides otherwise and you end up getting stick for it even though you'd already made your decision. Ok that decision may have been wrong in a perfect world, but if Luna smacks it out of play straight away then nobody would have noticed.

Anyway, it's a minor point

I think Guzan was at fault, I was sitting just behind the goal and don't speak a word of spanish and knew full well that luna wanted Brad to come and take it, he hesitated for a few seconds and then what happened happened.

It doesn't matter what Luna wants Guzan to do to be quite honest.

Guzan's made his decision. Do what he wants and argue after it. If defenders start second guessing goalkeepers to do what they think is right then you're asking for trouble.

Most likely they're both at fault. Guzan should have come for it originally, Luna should have cleared when (if) he got a shout to. Debate it afterwards, deal with it first. If Guzan's made his decision to not come for it then it has to be dealt with.

• 3 weeks later...
Â