Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Amazing "on-the-line" keeper, but does he command the defence like a great GK should...what do you at lower Holte or North stand think?

He's the best keeper we've had at coming out and dealing with crosses for a long time.

• Like 2

Amazing "on-the-line" keeper, but does he command the defence like a great GK should...what do you at lower Holte or North stand think?

he's a lot better off the line than anyone we've had for a long, long time

That is great, I was after how he is commanding the defence...I only see one game a season live(that varies) so I can never make an opinion about this, if he is like Schmeichel or not :)

That is great, I was after how he is commanding the defence...I only see one game a season live(that varies) so I can never make an opinion about this, if he is like Schmeichel or not :)

he's a lot more vocal than given and friedel imo

Yeah you can't really hear him normally but at the Shamrock game you could hear him shouting throughout the game, in Spanish to Luna too!

Love The Goose

Ok, come to think about their almost mistake today...they need to decide on a language...

He had a very good game indeed today. I think he's growing in stature as well, and really bollocked the defence for the Arsenal opener.

Yes, I noticed he was very vocal, he could be the key to tightening the back line up.

Yeah you can't really hear him normally but at the Shamrock game you could hear him shouting throughout the game, in Spanish to Luna too!

Love The Goose

Ok, come to think about their almost mistake today...they need to decide on a language...

Haha true!

What a keeper, imagine him behind the 09/10 defence, we'd have conceded 5 goals that season.

Loved his celebrations at the end aswell, proper villa keeper.

Probably my one criticism of him is he's a better slow off his line at anticipating danger. Not at crosses but today in the first half Luna was desperate for him to come out and claim the ball with Walcott behind him, Brad belately did but lost it and we managed to scramble it away so would like his position to be on the 6 yard box rather than routed on the goalline especially as I imagine when Okore is eventually in the team we'll continue playing a high line.

What a keeper, imagine him behind the 09/10 defence, we'd have conceded 5 goals that season.

Probably my one criticism of him is he's a better slow off his line at anticipating danger. Not at crosses but today in the first half Luna was desperate for him to come out and claim the ball with Walcott behind him, Brad belately did but lost it and we managed to scramble it away so would like his position to be on the 6 yard box rather than routed on the goalline especially as I imagine when Okore is eventually in the team we'll continue playing a high line.

Tbf, Luna should have put it out as when Guzan hesitated, but maybe thats down to first game rustiness or nerves.

That was Luna's fault, not Guzan's. Can't fault Brad on that one, not when it was Walcott chasing Luna, given his speed. The issue was that Brad was likely unsure if he'd get there before Walcott or not, and was relying on Luna to put it out of play

The various dialects of Spanish though are not totally immediately mutually intelligible in speech*. Mexican Spanish is a bit faster-paced than the dialects in Spain, has some pronunciation differences, and conjugates the second person singular a bit differently. Brad presumably learned Mexican Spanish, given his background.

It's quite conceivable that Luna still has to think a little bit to understand what Brad is saying, even if Brad's saying it in Spanish.

*: they're certainly less so than the varieties of English... and most of the time I can't understand a word Paul Lambert says...

Guzan = awesome keeper!

He's always there when needed. He catches the ball more than any keeper I can remember. He's brave as anything and he has sharp reactions - that save from Cazorla where he pushed it onto the bar was world class.

I hope The Goose stays at Villa for the rest of his career as he makes me feel like we're in safe hands.

Edited by villarocker

I adore Guzan, he's an absolutely brilliant player and I'm so glad we have him. I can literally only remember one howler he has ever made in the time I've been watching him, and it didn't lead to a goal. Thankfully nobody seems to be trying to buy him, because I think we'd REALLY miss him if he went.

Â