Stephen Warnock

KSV

Couldn't possibly be any worse than the current LB! Tricky decision whether or not to experiment against Man City though.

Judging by the last 2 times Warnock has played against Man City, I'd rather we experiment against them than almost guarantee a walk over if Warnock plays against them :) .

Houllier was right about Warnock

Gérard Houllier may have been wrong about many things in his short-lived spell at Villa but he appears he was right about one: Stephen Warnock is a liability. After heading into his own goal under absolutely no pressure during Aston Villa's 2-2 draw with QPR, against Newcastle the left-back needed to start trying to salvage a reputation that has descended into farce in the past 18 months. It is hard to imagine that some people once considered Warnock to be the best English left-back after Ashley Cole (Leighton Baines probably was not among these, mind).

Misplaced passes, a tendency to dawdle in possession and overly aggressive tackles to atone for his mistakes (viz the lunge that ended Ryan Taylor's game prior to Demba Ba's opener) have become the defender's stock in trade these days. He may have played no part in England's diabolical World Cup 2010 campaign but he, more than any other player in the 23-man squad, appears to have brought its stench home with him. He made Gabriel Obertan look like a world-beater at times on Sunday – a staggering feat. And he looked panicked in possession. At 30 years of age, and with hundreds of Premier League games behind him, he should at least look assured on the ball. He does not. Alex McLeish needs to make a populist decision or two to win over disgruntled Villa fans. Dropping Warnock would be a start.

Agree, this is the nail on the head. I have been saying this for months. The bloke is a total complete and utter liability. I am baffled that this guy gets paid 25k or so per week.

He is nowhere near good enough. How oh how oh how oh how does he keep getting picked? How can Eck not see that Warnock is complete garbage.

I'm in total despair. In my eyes this is the worst Villa player I have ever, ever seen. This is not an overreaction, this is genuinely how I feel after much consideration. Previously it was Carlton Cole who was garbage when he was here on loan but that's another debate altogether.

I would stick Guzan and LB before I pick Warnock. I've had enough of him. Can't take any more! GET RID NOW!

Overreaction much? He was pretty good under MON wasn't he. As was Collins, and of course Dunne.

Warnock was good for his first few months at the club, but come around February of MON's final year, he started his fall from grace. Not sure Dunne and Collins ever recovered fully from that 7-1 vs Chelsea. Not been at their best since really, well not compared to their consistency for a lot of their first season.

Houllier was right about Warnock

Gérard Houllier may have been wrong about many things in his short-lived spell at Villa but he appears he was right about one: Stephen Warnock is a liability. After heading into his own goal under absolutely no pressure during Aston Villa's 2-2 draw with QPR, against Newcastle the left-back needed to start trying to salvage a reputation that has descended into farce in the past 18 months. It is hard to imagine that some people once considered Warnock to be the best English left-back after Ashley Cole (Leighton Baines probably was not among these, mind).

Misplaced passes, a tendency to dawdle in possession and overly aggressive tackles to atone for his mistakes (viz the lunge that ended Ryan Taylor's game prior to Demba Ba's opener) have become the defender's stock in trade these days. He may have played no part in England's diabolical World Cup 2010 campaign but he, more than any other player in the 23-man squad, appears to have brought its stench home with him. He made Gabriel Obertan look like a world-beater at times on Sunday – a staggering feat. And he looked panicked in possession. At 30 years of age, and with hundreds of Premier League games behind him, he should at least look assured on the ball. He does not. Alex McLeish needs to make a populist decision or two to win over disgruntled Villa fans. Dropping Warnock would be a start.

Agree, this is the nail on the head. I have been saying this for months. The bloke is a total complete and utter liability. I am baffled that this guy gets paid 25k or so per week.

He is nowhere near good enough. How oh how oh how oh how does he keep getting picked? How can Eck not see that Warnock is complete garbage.

I'm in total despair. In my eyes this is the worst Villa player I have ever, ever seen. This is not an overreaction, this is genuinely how I feel after much consideration. Previously it was Carlton Cole who was garbage when he was here on loan but that's another debate altogether.

I would stick Guzan and LB before I pick Warnock. I've had enough of him. Can't take any more! GET RID NOW!

Overreaction much? He was pretty good under MON wasn't he. As was Collins, and of course Dunne.

Warnock was good for his first few months at the club, but come around February of MON's final year, he started his fall from grace. Not sure Dunne and Collins ever recovered fully from that 7-1 vs Chelsea. Not been at their best since really, well not compared to their consistency for a lot of their first season.

Exactly. "Worst Villa player?" Short memories it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Neville made a great point (on the 26th on MNF) about Warnock against Chelsea (though it could be said about the rest of his games) and basically laughed at the fact he is "left back"..

He highlighted his positioning for the goal and basically said "Stephen Warnock.. you call yourself a left back?" oh and guess where he was? in midfield strolling around.

It's about time one of these pundits picked up on him.. hopefully a few more follow including MOTD at some point.

He was shite on Saturday again, fair enough it was against Walcott but he breezed past Warnock so easily so often. Amazing to think just two years ago he was considered "England quality."

Looked at the sunday paper ratings and he actually got the best mark of all our defence. Got a 7 in one while Hutton who I thought was o.k got a 5.

I've tried to defend him but he really is a poor player nowadays so get rid if we can. Hopefully big Sam will want him again.

He is a decent fullback when he focuses on defending rather than attacking. Warnock's problems on defense stem from him trying to do too much with the ball or trying to get forward too often. Whenever Warnock stays back and defends he actually is a half decent fullback. Same goes for Hutton. They can't just blindly run forward. They have to choose the right times to get forward rather than doing it sporadically.

Its a easy link i now, but according to todays sun, MON is ready to pay £2.5m for warnock.

Im sorry folks, can't do links from my phone.

I **** hate Phil Dowd.

If it wasnt for his mistake in the cup final the club could of been so different today.

My vote for worst individual performance goes to Warnock against Swansea at home. Anyone agree. He was horrendous that day.

I **** hate Phil Dowd.

If it wasnt for his mistake in the cup final the club could have been so different today.

My vote for worst individual performance goes to Warnock against Swansea at home. Anyone agree. He was horrendous that day.

Disagree. He was awful for the first half, his performance second half was much better.

I **** hate Phil Dowd.

If it wasnt for his mistake in the cup final the club could have been so different today.

Disagree. He was awful for the first half, his performance second half was much better.

So what was the worst?

Â