What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Like others here I have listening to some Neil Young

After the Goldrush and Harvest are certainly some of my all time favourite albums but I have struggled to get into his other stuff.

Just been listening to Comes a Time, not bad title track reminds me a bit of Fisherman’s Blues 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Like others here I have listening to some Neil Young

After the Goldrush and Harvest are certainly some of my all time favourite albums but I have struggled to get into his other stuff.

Just been listening to Comes a Time, not bad title track reminds me a bit of Fisherman’s Blues 

Try Harvest Moon. A personal favourite of mine but if you like Harvest and Gold Rush, you may get on with that

Edit: Also a good primer is the 2 cd / 3 lp Decade compilation which will lead you into a lot of other albums

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Try Harvest Moon. A personal favourite of mine but if you like Harvest and Gold Rush, you may get on with that

Edit: Also a good primer is the 2 cd / 3 lp Decade compilation which will lead you into a lot of other albums

I find Harvest Moon a bit bland, but I concur on 'Decade'. If you only have one Neil Young record, that one does the business. 

• Like 1

I don't think I own a single thing of Neil Youngs, despite liking him. Maybe a CSNY seven inch, at a push, but definitely no albums. 

Yes. I own the Woodstock 7". 

Edited by Seat68

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I had none until this week. Heard Cortez The Killer on Iggy Pop and it appealed to my ‘not perfect’ sensibilities. It sounded real, not produced to fake perfection.

So I asked my local Neil Young obsessive record shop owner what they had in stock and the two I got were picked out for me. I don’t normally ‘do’ live albums, I think Rust might be the third one I own, but I rolled with it, and it’s excellent.

Neil Young stopped doing overdubs decades back, that's why even his studio work sounds live.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Neil Young stopped doing overdubs decades back, that's why even his studio work sounds live.

This is the info I need.

’Live’ without that nuisance background crowd ‘roar’. Something where you can distinctly hear individual instruments and glitches, that’s what I’m after.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

This is the info I need.

’Live’ without that nuisance background crowd ‘roar’. Something where you can distinctly hear individual instruments and glitches, that’s what I’m after.

In that case you should stack up on his back catalogue. I think I've got about 35 of his albums on vinyl. Best thing about Neil is he changes genre by album so you don't know what to expect. Personally I love his rock/grunge stuff.

• Like 4

On 14/11/2021 at 14:29, bickster said:

And another "yadda HMV Yadda" - £15

One sold on Discogs this week for over £20, median price is £18.70, only one has ever sold lower than that price

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

R-4426315-1429341315-8712.jpeg.jpg

I bought a vinyl copy of that when the only other option was casette tape.

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I bought a vinyl copy of that when the only other option was casette tape.

Me too, it went west somewhere along the line but this was one of the albums I didn't have on CD. Still have the Once in a Lifetime 7" though

Bought ages ago, for amusement more than anything. I paid no more than 50p in a charity shop. IIRC I bought it as a test record for a new amplifier

There were plenty of cheap samplers released for buttons in the late 60's to encourage people to upgrade to the exciting world of.... stereo. This is for the  Columbia Label and specifically its EMI Studio 2 Imprint

This is was Radio 2 used to sound like in the evenings in the early 70s

The Stripper - David Rose and his Orchestra, Stranger on the SHore by Acker Bilk, hell there's even a Manuel and his Music of the Mountains track on here (A Man and a Woman), this is the sort of shit my dad would have bought

R-1803149-1378032545-2208.jpeg.jpg

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bought ages ago, for amusement more than anything. I paid no more than 50p in a charity shop. IIRC I bought it as a test record for a new amplifier

There were plenty of cheap samplers released for buttons in the late 60's to encourage people to upgrade to the exciting world of.... stereo. This is for the  Columbia Label and specifically its EMI Studio 2 Imprint

This is was Radio 2 used to sound like in the evenings in the early 70s

The Stripper - David Rose and his Orchestra, Stranger on the SHore by Acker Bilk, hell there's even a Manuel and his Music of the Mountains track on here (A Man and a Woman), this is the sort of shit my dad would have bought

R-1803149-1378032545-2208.jpeg.jpg

The smart money is on @Xann owning this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The smart money is on @Xann owning this. 

Nah, he went straight for the full albums :mrgreen:

I swear this is the music I used to have to endure on a Sunday night drive returning from South Wales to Birmingham. I know it all note for note

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

How about this one @Xann from the same label (30p in Oxfam)

:) Heh, no. Got Tausky doing opera overtures.

It's the ones where they tried to make groovy, futuristic, exotic or otherwise quirky tunes that are most interesting.

This is reality but better, your favourite tunes with reverb, delays and compression.

Would like this one.

Everyone should own this one :)

Unstable pitch and massive reverb combine in this to recreate the ambience of waiting for the curtain to open in a 70s cinema, whilst just coming up on acid :blink:

Edited by Xann
  • Haha 1

Mind Over Mirrors - Bellowing Sun (2018)

Essentailly an art peice commissioned by The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago to accompany an art instalation of the same name (I think). Experimental electronics with elements of drone, psychedelia and ethereal vocals. It's really quite trippy. Features members of Tortoise, Iron and Wine and others.

R-11819948-1522941182-8040.jpeg.jpg

Full album on Youtube

Â