What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

@rjw63didn't have you down as a Stan Ridgeway fan

Maybe it was that song about Camel Farts or something?

Ridgeway had left the band by the time this came out.

Only purchased it for a very good cover of "Do It Again"...there's a cracking video on Youtube, Brian Wilson is in it and it's well weird.

• Haha 1

I.R.S.

There's a label blast from the past.

I used to like a band called The Truth (they were a re hash of Nine Below Zero), all there stuff was on IRS, but their live sets were the best, their recordings were over produced mulch.

I'll tell you another label that's quality: Gordy

That Undisputed Truth album slipped out of my hands and did a supersonic glide to the wall, took a chunk out of the plaster like a Jack Torrance axe attack, loud enough for my wife to turn up to see what I was doing.

Record is absolutely unmarked and unaffected. 

• Like 1

Second hand record dealers, what do they know, if you find the right one.. next to nothing outside their own little field of expertise.

Bought this in Abergavenny about a year ago for £10, The Sleeve has an edge tear but is otherwise good, I'd rate the vinyl itself as VG+ (especially now it's been cleaned properly.) It plays fine with just the very odd pop between tracks

When I was buying it,  the shop owner struck up a conversation about them. "Oh I have one of theirs in my personal collection, I've got the one that was on Linn, it's a great album..."  then goes to waffle on about Linn and their audio equipment, literally gushing, you could tell he only had Hats because it was on Linn and that was the reason he liked it.

I handed my money over and then dropped into the conversation that this first album is also on Linn. The jaw drop was a classic and there was nothing he could do about it, money paid and it was in my hands... haha I could sell this for about £25 even with the slight tear in the sleeve (not that I intend to)

Mr Bland introduced me to the Blue Nile and I've always been grateful

The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops

R-266925-1319729641.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

V - Various Artists (A Virgin Records Sampler from 1975) bought for the princly sum of a tenner today in a second-hand record shop

R-1593038-1353595306-5632.jpeg.jpg

It has some interesting stuff on it, Kevin Coyne, Beefheart, Tangerine Dream, Steve Hillage, Ivor Cutler... on the downside, there's Mike Oldfield

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

V - Various Artists (A Virgin Records Sampler from 1975) bought for the princly sum of a tenner today in a second-hand record shop

R-1593038-1353595306-5632.jpeg.jpg

It has some interesting stuff on it, Kevin Coyne, Beefheart, Tangerine Dream, Steve Hillage, Ivor Cutler... on the downside, there's Mike Oldfield

A tenner? Robbed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

A tenner? Robbed!

Yeah could have got it for £7 on Discogs! (plus P&P)

It was a purely spur of the moment thing, I went there to purchase a rare Adrian Sherwood remix (Which turns out to be rather dull, oh well)

Right now some Puerto Rican electro post punk garage..

Prettiest Eyes - Vol 3 (there are two previous albums neither is called Volume) on Castleface

A little bit of Snapped Ankles, some Suicide, a hint of Warm Drag and possibly a smidge of Damaged Bug

Moon Duo - Stars are Light. Limited Edition Red Vinyl. Blue cover variant (there appear to be a number of different colours)

The reason I went record shopping yesterday and it doesn’t disappoint. Ripley Johnson mixed by Sonic Boom (of Spacemen 3)

More of the same but excellently done.

EB5AC536-C1D7-4547-A466-F9766A98CBE4.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah, I’ve got a nagging feeling I missed out on a goodie there.

They can still get me the standard version, so it can go on my ever longer and longer list of this to catch up with later.

We’re into the time period now where I can buy stuff and give it to my missus so she can hand them out later to relatives that say they don’t know what to get me for Christmas!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Not so listened to but have just watched Sturgill Simpson’s Sound & Fury on Netflix

It’s a full anime accompaniment to his latest album and it was pretty awesome! 

Some great tracks too - will be on my wish list! 

He basically has been saying for the past year this album isn't for me so I won't seek any tracks out. If I manage to hear something and it's not such a leap from the last album then maybe it will go on my buy list. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

He basically has been saying for the past year this album isn't for me so I won't seek any tracks out. If I manage to hear something and it's not such a leap from the last album then maybe it will go on my buy list. 

Just from the anime there’s four or five tracks I really like. Admittedly there’s a few sojourns into ‘country disco’ but it’s all good (and worked very well with the animation) !

• Like 1

Â