What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Mind over Mirrors: Bellowing Sun

Todays speculative purchase

With his evolving project Mind Over Mirrors, Chicago-based musician and composer Jaime Fennelly premieres Bellowing Sun, a work that creates an aural prism through the layering of acoustic and electronic instruments. A departure from Fennelly’s solo practice as a harmoniumist and synthesist, Bellowing Sun also includes vocalist and percussionist Janet Beveridge Bean, violinist Jim Becker, and percussionist Jon Mueller—four musicians who share an interest in the intersections of the American vernacular and contemporary avant-garde.

Bellowing Sun is performed with the audience encircling the musicians underneath a large kinetic sculpture. The visual centerpiece, designed in collaboration with Timothy Breen, Eliot Irwin, and Keith Parham, was hand-built in the shape of a great lighted drum. A rotating cylindrical textile adorned with patterns, abstract figures, and dyed gradients creates an ever-changing kaleidoscope of organic shapes and color that simultaneously form celestial bodies and microscopic life forms. The radiant audiovisual environment results in a space, not unlike a Quaker meeting room, for people to withdraw from daily life and consider questions of the human spirit link

B121AF6F-DC81-43D5-8BE8-0C3DA5D10186.jpeg

Verdict after side A - quite like it, it's quite trippy in its own way

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Mind over Mirrors: Bellowing Sun

Todays speculative purchase

Verdict after side A - quite like it, it's quite trippy in its own way

Dude, it’s being played at the wrong speed! Sounds like it’s on 45 when it should be on 33

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Now this.

XXX-398425.jpg

I may have said this before but it astounds me that this band are considered throwaway, a superb album.

And, in the admittedly bad genre of rock movies, "Slade in Flame" is surprisingly good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

And, in the admittedly bad genre of rock movies, "Slade in Flame" is surprisingly good. 

Agree with that. Its of its time but still pretty good, doesnt gloss anything over.

Edited by Seat68

27580301148_e712627eb3.jpg41408763602_29719a40cc.jpg

First time I've ever got this particular guy in the record shop to talk! He was absolutely gushing about this album and his written me a couple of other things to get once I've listened to this.

I told him I was buying it without knowing anything on there but that I'd heard something I liked but I couldn't remember (posted somewhere on here actually) by Gene Clark so I was buying it as a punt.

He then gave me a quick biog of Gene Clark and his musical family tree. Never seen him so animated.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

27580301148_e712627eb3.jpg41408763602_29719a40cc.jpg

First time I've ever got this particular guy in the record shop to talk! He was absolutely gushing about this album and his written me a couple of other things to get once I've listened to this.

I told him I was buying it without knowing anything on there but that I'd heard something I liked but I couldn't remember (posted somewhere on here actually) by Gene Clark so I was buying it as a punt.

He then gave me a quick biog of Gene Clark and his musical family tree. Never seen him so animated.

It was probably me that posted the Gene Clark. That's a pretty damn good compilation, all stuff I've been into for years - although much of it is not remotely 'country'. If any tracks particularly take your fancy, I can point you in the direction of further listening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bickster said:

I have never understood what people see in the Grateful Dead.

tbh you have to see them live. On record, I like their proggy jamming era, the lightweight country stuff not so much. 

Â