What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Recent, but very retro.

Only two Opeth albums don't have the **** silly growling vocals, and they are the two I own - Heritage and Damnation.

Did you give the Storm Corrosion LP a go, mate? Michael Akerfeldt's collaboration with Steven Wilson, it's worth a listen.

Did you give the Storm Corrosion LP a go, mate? Michael Akerfeldt's collaboration with Steven Wilson, it's worth a listen.

Oh yes, I have that, it's fantastic. SW says he considers Storm Corrosion, Heritage and his solo album Grace for Drowning to form a "loose trilogy", and I can see what he means.

2012 was the year I belatedly discovered SW/Porcupine Tree, and I have become a BIG fan (not so keen on Blackfield or NoMan so far, but give it time).

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I have that, it's fantastic. SW says he considers Storm Corrosion, Heritage and his solo album Grace for Drowning to form a "loose trilogy", and I can see what he means.

2012 was the year I belatedly discovered SW/Porcupine Tree, and I have become a BIG fan (not so keen on Blackfield or NoMan so far, but give it time).

I only got into PT because they were one of my youngest son's fave bands and I'm so glad I did. Saw them live a couple of years back ( The Incident tour) and they were fantastic. Wilson is a genius IMO. I do actually like NoMan, I find it very relaxing tho I can see why people would find it boring and Blackfield are a bit hit and miss really, with some decent moments such as "Waving". Steven's solo stuff is utterley brilliant, Grace For Drowning is one of my favourite albums of the last few years.

Got one CD by Porcupine Tree, the Voyage 34 ep, they gave it to me in 1992.

It was on Delerium Records, run by a nice guy called Richard Allen.

Richard, a massive fan of generally weird music, had a mail order shop which evolved into the Freak Emporium.

It was the best place to pick up generally weird music anywhere, but it died in 2007 - an early casualty of the tax evading massive.

Richard was incensed enough not to let the matter lie. He got together with other UK internet sellers and lobbied parliament to close the Channel Islands VAT dodge.

He was successful too, more power to him.

• Like 1

I loved The Freak Emporium. Didn't they used to have the full text of Vernon Joynson's "Tapestry of Delights" book online? Despite some errors, it's still the best reference work for "my" era of music (British wing, anyway).

Voyage 34 is good, but not my favourite PT by any means.

I loved The Freak Emporium. Didn't they used to have the full text of Vernon Joynson's "Tapestry of Delights"

Probably, good book, he released updates/corrections too.

'Galactic Ramble' is another goodie, the author - Richard Morton Jack - recently started a lavish mag called 'Flashback' which is probably right up your alley.

Edited by Xann

Probably, good book, he released updates/corrections too.

'Galactic Ramble' is another goodie, the author - Richard Morton Jack - recently started a lavish mag called 'Flashback' which is probably right up your alley.

I keep meaning to buy Galactic Ramble, but it's too **** expensive.

Don't buy music books as a rule, but a cheap GR would be appreciated here too.

Bought the addendum for 'Tapestry', it wasn't cheap and the seller had advertised it as the full tome.

Would have returned it, but the vendor was Oxfam Books and it didn't sit easy asking for the money back.

Five years down the line it's going for 3 times what I paid for it. :huh:

You know I've STILL not heard either of the Shadow and Cut Chemist Product Placement mixes. I must be insane.

Currently floatin my boat, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust.

These guys sound proper space rock/acid garage retro. Can't believe they're playing down the road in The Garage in Highbury & Islington in March and the fecking gig has sold out already.

Â