What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

In a record shop you have the advantage of having a lot to choose from (and a shit hot sound system). I bought the Pinnock Messiah about 20 years ago, I play it once a year - in the car - and to these ears it sounds fine. But then you know my notorious lo-fi attitudes, and I'm not particularly a baroque geek anyway. It works for me.

It's not high geekery really, it's just following the instructions properly.

You really wouldn't want one of these...

bi0292.jpg

To play a part written for this.

Telecaster.jpg

That's quite a mild example tbh.

I'll send you something, doing the 2012 comp anyway.

:)

Back on topic...

2vv7yhy.jpg

Spanish soundtrack composer Alfonso Santisteban.

It's way more than that though.

Their instruments are nearer the mark but still a fair bit off, particularly the brass. Playing the Baroque trumpet is hard, there were just two holes: one you blow in, one the sound comes out of. Hybrids were used with the notes drilled in.

Pinnock and his players didn't really get how this stuff should be played either. It's still true for most Brit ensembles today, sadly.

Your soloists should be flash, your stereo bass players free to swing and improvise and your singers capable of ornamentation.

Baroque music has much in common with jazz.

If it tickles your fancy try YouTubing Jordi Savall, Fabio Biondi or Diego Fasolis sometime.

I'll send you a CD of the guy that was playing with the Frog.

But there's another thing. Generally, the first version I hear of any classical piece is the one I get used to and like the best. Like my favourite Brandenburg Concertos are by Adrian Boult. Not remotely "authentic", but my introduction to the piece, so remain favourites.

Same with Beethoven 9 - first heard in the 1976 Von Karajan version. Still like it the best.

I don't have the time, money or interest to spend on multiple versions of classical stuff, TBH.

My music spend is probably peaking right now, on the basis that I won't have the cash when I retire. I'm more about having a core collection, with simply "an" example of each piece. I very, very rarely actively dislike a particular version of anything. And classical has to share time and money with pop and jazz.

One notable exception was the Naxos version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue by the Slovak Philharmonic. It actually sounded more like Bratislava than New York. Truly horrible. Replaced it with the Andre Previn one, which is fine.

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

altj.jpg

Really getting into this one now, is quite poetic in places and makes for very easy listening.

Just started listening to this at the start of the week, it really is terrific. Reminds me a bit of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Â