What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

35hmk92.jpg

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - 'Zero Time'

ixb41w.jpg

T.O.N.T.O. - The Original New Timbral Orchestra - Still the largest polyphonic multitimbral synth in the world.

It's British, but the Yanks loved it: Quincy Jones, Bobby Womack, Stephen Stills, Joan Baez and Stevie Wonder in particular, all used it.

It now resides at Devo's HQ.

is probably my fave track.

Criminally underrated from probably the best of the American "grunge" bands.

Standard late-middle-period for the band: half the tracks are firmly rooted in the standard 90s American rock oeuvre (The Doors + Zeppelin + (The Ramones or Sex Pistols), STP add a bit of classic-period Aerosmith to the mix), the other half are more Beatles+Doors+Byrds.

Mentioned it in another thread, but I guess it belongs here...

As part of my raping of the HMV closing down sale, I bought The Pixies' "Doolittle". Never heard it before, but I know it has a very good reputation - overwhelmingly 5-star reviews on Amazon.

So I know I'm out of step, but I just think it's a steaming pile of crap. I thought the idea of people who couldn't sing or play their instruments went out in the 70s with the likes of Eater and Slaughter and the Dogs, etc.

It's not helped by a mix that actually emphasises the most plodding bass playing I have ever heard (possibly apart from that cack-handed bloke in New Order). I'll probably save the jewel case as a spare and chuck the disc in the bin. Robbed.

Piss-poor effort - what DO people see in it? Genuine question.

• Like 1

'Doolittle' is a wonderful album, easily one of my favourites. Everyone has their 'Pixies' moment, when they first hear them. Mine was when a lovely lady told me to listen to 'Monkey Gone To Heaven', when I was a half-cut teen intent on getting my grubby hands under her jumper. I remember listening to it and going 'What the **** is this?', and yet I liked it, the quiet-loud dynamic, the rumbling bass line and chaotic vocals struck me as oddly new, and a few days later I bought 'Doolittle' and adored it. Like many bands, it all depends on the context of when and where you first hear them.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I won't hate on the Pixies too much, because I quite like a bit of Cage the Elephant and The Cure, who adopt a fairly comparable stance towards vocals. But I agree with Mike on this one. Terrible stuff.

I won't hate on the Pixies too much, because I quite like a bit of Cage the Elephant and The Cure, who adopt a fairly comparable stance towards vocals. But I agree with Mike on this one. Terrible stuff.

Never heard (of) Cage the Elephant, but I can understand why people like The Cure. I'm not a fan myself, but I can see there's something there. But The Pixies (that album, anyway), hell no.

Prefer the 'Surfer Rosa' + 'Come On Pilgrim' cd to 'Doolittle'.

You remember the 80s right? Well these were different from that, it gave us hope.

Seen them a few times and they were remarkably faithful to their album sound, which you may not like, but certainly impressed me.

As part of my raping of the HMV closing down sale, I bought The Pixies' "Doolittle". Never heard it before, but I know it has a very good reputation - overwhelmingly 5-star reviews on Amazon.

So I know I'm out of step, but I just think it's a steaming pile of crap. I thought the idea of people who couldn't sing or play their instruments went out in the 70s with the likes of Eater and Slaughter and the Dogs, etc.

It's not helped by a mix that actually emphasises the most plodding bass playing I have ever heard (possibly apart from that cack-handed bloke in New Order). I'll probably save the jewel case as a spare and chuck the disc in the bin. Robbed.

That's music mate, Beauty is the ears of the beholder. I must admit that I love Pixies and I'd defend Black Francis/Frank Black as a tortured genius. But I can also see why people don't like them. I actually prefer Surfer Rosa as an album, bit Doolittle does feature my fave Pixies toon, Monkey Gone to Heaven.

Anyway, been giving Saturday Night Wrist by Deftones a bash today, awesome stuff.

I got it on Nick Rogers' recommendation (remember him?) about 5 years ago.

I also thought it was cack.

Current turntable disc:

U86FVfb.jpg

Edited by rjw63

Â