What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

11 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

agreed, a lot of Ozzy's solo stuff was a wee bit to...I don't know...Americanized maybe...a little too 80's hair metal...some cracking stuff don't get me wrong I like a lot of his stuff but I struggle to get onto a real 'Ozzy kick' there is something about this album that always makes me return to it though, its probably just that it was a fun time in my life when I was listening to it

He played the perfect role in the 80s as the crazy man of rock n roll and every album in that era showcased that. Sometimes it worked and at times it was a bit laughable, but he was huge in the states. Was rumours in the mid 80s of a sabbath reunion after live aid, but it never materialised. Would of been interesting to hear how it would if sounded, but all of them were still struggling with substances, so it probably was best left.

516QvDFRYxL._SY450_.jpg

always remember when we were all on the vodka and I put Overnight Bag on, my mate who had been playing guitar for about 12 months listened to it and said 'I could play that' we all said bollocks could ya, I played it again and he listened to it, then afterwards he plugged his left handed cheap ass fender in and played it pretty much note for note, that was when we realized how good he was at the guitar.

ends up every one of his family can play, his dad can play guitar solos on the harmonica and his party trick is playing the slide guitar with a bottle of vodka

again happy times man

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Quite. See, occasionally - maybe once a year - I can listen to a bit of BLM. Ronald Binge, Eric Coates, Ketelby, etc. Specifically because I can just about remember the pre-Beatles 1950s, and my (very elderly) parents would play that stuff on the BBC Light Programme (precursor to Radio 2). So it's a nostalgia thing. But by the time the Geoff Loves and Mantovanis hit their stride, I'd learned to despise it. That iteration would still make me grab for the 'off' switch. I'd make an exception for a few radio and TV theme tunes, as they trigger happier memories. But generally, it's dire. 

I would dispute that Easy is generally more dire than Country. Yet somehow there's still amazing tracks in both genres.

Mantovani's 'Charmaine' is deeply lysergic. Studio2Stereo records do sound great. Ray McVay, Johnny Scott and Stu Phillips arranged brilliantly and made nice records. 101 Strings actually made 'Astro Sounds'.

not really listening to this, it's actually 'in storage' now, up the garage

16963475297_46b66d97cc_n.jpg

it's a duffer

whereas, as you say, the Ray McVay is great listening

so yeah, middle of the road, it's a dangerous place to be

• Like 1

I have been in the habit of buying a lot of really cheap CD's from music magpie, because I like country music there tends to be a lot, at around a pound a pop. Not listening to any at the moment but merely a recommendation.

13 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

41X+qHm5x6L._SY450_.jpg

Its strange how certain things stick with you when it comes to music, I remember listening to this constantly on the bus going to work, at the time I was reading a book called The Others by James Herbert, every morning I'd either listen to this album or radio 1

I know it was 2002 because whenever I put the radio on all that would be played was Cry me a River by Justin Timberlake and all the things she said by them Russian lesbian twins.

I was absolutely arsing this album at that point for some reason, and now I can't listen to it without thinking of Russian lesbian twins (not bad) and hunchbacks getting skull **** by mutant dogs with 12 inch dicks (that was out of the book)

same thing with Velvet Revolver, if I'm ever feeling nostalgic and put that on it always takes me back to when I was reading IT by Stephen King, Drive by Truckers album The Dirty South always takes me back to The Gunslinger by King as well.

Silly how little insignificant things stick with you isn't it

Sadly they weren't really lezzers, it was a sales ploy by their manager.

They certainly weren't twins either ;)

tatu-2003-650-430.jpg

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have been in the habit of buying a lot of really cheap CD's from music magpie, because I like country music there tends to be a lot, at around a pound a pop. Not listening to any at the moment but merely a recommendation.

Generally I try to buy from Discogs, but recently have found that automated pricing software employed by some of the larger vendors on Amazon tries to match or beat other sellers. That includes Music Magpie and private individuals.

Picked up a few titles new for less than £3, all brand new, that's been price matched against less than perfect second hand gear.

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sturgeon's Law applies, of course - 95% of every genre is crap. It's finding that 5% that's the trick. 

Opera is even more extreme than Easy.

Bad opera is excruciating, average opera is camp nonsense, but the best performances of the best arias are spellbinding.

• Like 1

4f26ad8e027a6c50fe03e5f48da7c519.600x600

Trivium The Sin And The Sentence

Trivium return with their 8th album of their 18 year career. Trivium have been annoyingly inconsistent over the years so I didn't know what to expect, but this album is quite possibly their best since 2008's release 'Shogun'.

This album is a mix of everything Trivium have experimented with over the years. The band stated that they wanted to "make an album heavier than most melodic rock bands, but more melodic than most metal bands" and I think they succeeded here. There is still the trademark heaviness to this record that sums up much of their careers, but it's the clean vocals that take center stage here while the harsh vocals offer the right amount of contrast to not leave the record feeling one note. This is also an album where the other band members have been allowed to shine which is a nice change of pace from their 2015 release 'Silence In The Snow'. The most notable addition is the recruitment of up and coming drummer Alex Bent who may have just cemented himself as one of the best drummers in metal today, his work on this album is phenomenal and it really adds an energy that was much needed. 'The Sin And The Sentence' is a great foundation for this band to grow and push on as they approach their 20th anniversary.

Quite possibly one of the best metal albums of the year, very impressed. 

A special shout out to Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard. At lunchtime I was listening to the album Noeth Ac Anoeth on some big ol's speakers in a confined space, and it was very good.

But that was then and this is now. Does this count as MOR? I don't know, but I love it.

37766859616_b4a4209cfd.jpg

23962558558_9496789611_n.jpg

I was listening in the car earlier too. But the car has decided to only play albums in track alphabetical order rather than the proper running order.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A special shout out to Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard. At lunchtime I was listening to the album Noeth Ac Anoeth on some big ol's speakers in a confined space, and it was very good.

But that was then and this is now. Does this count as MOR? I don't know, but I love it.

37766859616_b4a4209cfd.jpg

23962558558_9496789611_n.jpg

I was listening in the car earlier too. But the car has decided to only play albums in track alphabetical order rather than the proper running order.

That's odd. I was in the car the other day, playing stuff from my phone in shuffle mode, and it suddenly switched to alphabetical. Never done it before. 

Â