What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Not sure why I didn't give it a proper go when it first came out but this made the perfect accompaniment to a late night/early morning long drive home:

cc8f41107bd9a799b1640a0e1bea2856_zps26b5

I watched Jon Hopkins do his live thing on a live radio broadcast last week, absolutely spellbinding. There aren't many purely electronic acts that can pull of that level of manipulation and live instrumentation without Ableton doing the whole thing on a sequencer

• Like 1

yeah, we've all got that!

I had a little look around a 'new' record shop yesterday. It's actually a little new and second hand record shop from my local town that has moved to bigger premises, they've now got 2 floors on one of the main Cardiff shopping streets across the road from the Castle.

It was 'interesting'. On the second hand stuff, I'd have presumed they'd have a bit of a quality vetting procedure or at least some sort of coding to let you know if something was in a good condition or not. It's actually very much buyer beware. Nearly bought a couple of things only to slip them out for a quick look and discover they've previously been used as a dog frisbee or hockey puk or something. Anyway, at least I know to check.

But what's interesting here, is that Kelly's in Cardiff market has increased its racking. Vibe has opened a new 2 storey shop, Catapult have moved to a unit twice the size of their original home and Spillers have just moved to a unit more than twice the size of their previous unit.  All within a 5 minute walk, a sort of vinyl triangle with four corners.

But HMV has an absolutely prime spot, sells mostly Breaking Bad mugs, speakers and headphones you can't try out and a whole floor of horror dvd's, is shrinking.

Bugger, just got back from a weekend in Merthyr, wish I'd read this before I went. I'd certainly have told the missus to go to Blaenavon chasing her family history on her own!

• Like 1

Rediscovered Celebration Rock by Japandroids over the weekend. Such an epic album. Hopefully get some new material soon...

Is that the first or second album?

I loved the first, weren't keen on the second. 

However they did a fantastic B-side of Nick Cave's "Jack the Ripper" which was awesome!

Speaking of Nick....

Every time I think I've ran out of his albums to get into, his older work starts to make more sense. Loving this album. So dark and awesome!!!

Tenderprey.jpg

"Your Funeral, My Trial" or "From Her To Eternity" will be next!

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

This Is The Modern World

My least favourite album of theirs.

shock-face.jpg

Let's not permanently fall out over this, I'll just blank you for a few days and then at a time of MY choosing, we'll pretend it never happened. But it's their second best album, after In The City. It has a sweary f word on both sides! This was a big deal for me back in the day.

The list for me, goes something like:

In The City

This Is The Modern World

The Gift / All Mod Cons / Sound Affects / Setting Sons

with probably Setting Sons as the least fave, least played

• Like 1

Not saying I don't like it, just that I prefer the others! I just think it's got a bit of a "difficult second album" feel to it.

My order would be:

All Mod Cons

In The City

Setting Sons

Sound Affects

The Gift

This Is The Modern World

Take into account, I wasn't born / old enough to appreciate them, when they were released. So maybe I come at them slightly differently to someone who was "in their prime", when they first got released. I did go through a massive Weller phase in my teens though, and love all of these.

Edited by dAVe80

Not saying I don't like it, just that I prefer the others! I just think it's got a bit of a "difficult second album" feel to it.

My order would be:

All Mod Cons

In The City

Setting Sons

Sound Affects

The Gift

This Is The Modern World

Take into account, I wasn't born / old enough to appreciate them, when they were released. So maybe I come at them slightly differently to someone who was "in their prime", when they first got released. I did go through a massive Weller phase in my teens though, and love all of these.

Yeah, I can see that.

For me, it was the first one I bought (about a year after it had come out from memory) and I loved the rawness of it. The rest of my family were all listening to stuff that could be appreciated on a decent system, those Queen albums day at the races or whatever, Genesis, Tubular Bells, Rainbow ffs. Clever noodly shit about wizards and champagne.

I rock up with an lp of two guitars a drum and a shouty man murdering a version of Midnight Hour in 2 minutes flat and get banished to play it in my room!

Happy days.

• Like 2

Not really an album (here is as good as anywhere to put it), but Just got around to listening to Stewart Lee, standing in for Stuart Maconie on the 6 Music's Freak Zone. Second song in, he plays Guided By Voices. I knew he wouldn't let me down!

• Like 1

This Is The Modern World

My least favourite album of theirs.

Me too. For me The Jam had three truly great albums (All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Effects) two mediocre ones (In the City, The Gift) and the musically dull News of the World.

• Like 1

I'm clearly missing out on Setting Sons, I've had this conversation elsewhere and it's highly regarded and I've just googlied it and it's described as being one of their finest, bringing them critical acclaim. But I'm still right!

I think I liked the immediacy of the first two albums, there was a story about In The City being 35 minutes long and having taken 40 minutes to record, or something like that. Once you get to All Mod Cons, wonderful as it is, it's clearly being thought through and produced. All good though.

I've got an old box of albums out on rotation at the moment and it's got The Creation, The Chords, The Jam etc. Blondie (plastic letters) in there. So it's all a bit up and at 'em. To counter this, I've been belting out 'Best of the Stylistics' too, for much of the day.

You Make Me Feel Brand New

Betcha By Golly Wow

You Are Everything

Karaoke classics

Â