What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Rush_Counterparts.jpg

Rush - Counterparts

Bonus: the inner liner note artwork (rearranged for a desktop wallpaper)

cpparts.jpg

(some of the sight gags are lifted from Pink Floyd's A Nice Pair compilation)

... Words & Music, Gin & Vermouth, Rhythm & Blues, Socks & Shoes, Rock & Roll, Song & Dance, Smoke & Mirrors, Shuck & Jive, Hot & Bothered, Sugar & Spice, Cock & Bull, Beck & Call, Bump & Grind, Wine & Dine, Rise & Shine, Slap & Tickle, Stand & Deliver, Lift & Separate, Ribbed & Lubricated, In & Out, Fore & Aft, Give & Take, Long & Hard, Over & Over, Kiss & Tell, Alive & Well, Stop & Go, High & Low, Yes & No, Touch & Go, Fast & Slow, Body & Soul, Flesh & Blood, One & All, Pride & Joy, Peace & Love, Time & Again, Over & Over, AMEN

Animate (Jungian archetypes)

Stick It Out

Cut to the Chase (a lot of Schopenhauer in the verses, though the will is viewed from a slightly different perspective... this also probably holds the distinction for being the best rock song ever written that was inspired by schistosomiasis)

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon (Pye Dubois' "A Lake Between Sun and Moon" is the basis)

Alien Shore

The Speed of Love

Double Agent

Leave That Thing Alone

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

• 2 weeks later...

29xx0tx.jpg

E mily - 'E mily'

Made in Paris by a then 16 year old New York folk singer called E mily Bindiger, backed by local progressive rockers Dynastie Crisis.

It's quite an odd, haunting and folksy album, with some great hooks too.

29xx0tx.jpg

E mily - 'E mily'

Made in Paris by a then 16 year old New York folk singer called E mily Bindiger, backed by local progressive rockers Dynastie Crisis.

It's quite an odd, haunting and folksy album, with some great hooks too.

Still appreciate you recommending that gem to me Dave. Cracking album, and her voice is sublime.

hookerheat.jpg

A collaboration between John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat. And pretty sweet it is too.

Still have that on vinyl, from back in the day. Let that boy boogie-woogie. It's in him. Gotta come out.

Great album.

• 3 weeks later...
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Easily the best album in the Zeppelin catalog.

Controversial. Rather like considering Godfather III as the best of the trilogy.

ITTOD does have its moments though, I must admit.

Every other Zeppelin album has at least one clunker on it (e.g. Black Dog, Rock and Roll, and Misty Mountain Hop from the untitled album (and I'm not exceptionally fond of The Battle of Evermore, Stairway, or Going to California, either)... Four Sticks and When the Levee Breaks are two of the greatest songs EVAR and enough to salvage a mediocre album).

Every other Zeppelin album has at least one clunker on it (e.g. Black Dog, Rock and Roll, and Misty Mountain Hop from the untitled album (and I'm not exceptionally fond of The Battle of Evermore, Stairway, or Going to California, either)... Four Sticks and When the Levee Breaks are two of the greatest songs EVAR and enough to salvage a mediocre album).
My view upside down, right there. I consider Side One (Dog/R&R/Evermore/Stairway) as possibly the greatest single side of an LP ever.

Side Two (Hop/Sticks/California/Levee) I always found to be a complete anticlimax - stodgy and unmemorable.

Just goes to show... summat.

However, me, right now, this:

Grateful-Dead-Grayfolded-Part-2-52023.jpg

I know this breaks topic convention by being too mainstream, but this hasn't strayed far away from my car stereo since it was first released. Fast becoming my favourite album of all time. It's just absolutely brilliant.

arctic-monkeys-suck-it-and-see.jpg

Â