What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Amplifier - The Octopus

2443711697-1.jpg

2 hours long, definitely something different!

Musically they span the gamut from follky acoustic moments through heavy metal and into deep Prog without ever getting too far up themselves. They even manage to use a William Blake text (The Sick Rose) without coming off as pretentious – not an easy trick.

Review

I wanted to like it, but it was just too long. I might have to revisit bits of it again, which could change my mind somewhat, but I couldn't listen to the whole thing all the way through. It's not that I'm unaccustomed to long pieces of music either, Boris' Flood and Sleep's Dopesmoker are 2 of my favourites and clock in around the hour mark. But TWO hours ugh jeez

Amplifier - The Octopus

2443711697-1.jpg

2 hours long, definitely something different!

Musically they span the gamut from follky acoustic moments through heavy metal and into deep Prog without ever getting too far up themselves. They even manage to use a William Blake text (The Sick Rose) without coming off as pretentious – not an easy trick.

Review

I wanted to like it, but it was just too long. I might have to revisit bits of it again, which could change my mind somewhat, but I couldn't listen to the whole thing all the way through. It's not that I'm unaccustomed to long pieces of music either, Boris' Flood and Sleep's Dopesmoker are 2 of my favourites and clock in around the hour mark. But TWO hours ugh jeez

Yeah I have had it on at work today and had it on on the drive to and from Pembroke at the weekend, for me there were enough little hooks spread through it to make me go back and listen to it more. A lot of stuff to get through with it though!

I'm listening to the September Cover Disc from Word Magazine, I'm rather struck by the similarity in vocal delivery of Dexter Dury to that of his late father Ian. Different style of music completely, though it could quite easily be argued that its kind of Dury for the new millenium. Might have to investigate the album from that track

51M30ztN%2BcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock And Roll

A band I got into through VT would you believe. Was introduced by John Cresswell and have been enjoying for some years now.

• 2 weeks later...
Â