• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Still have a sneaky feeling Ancelotti will be appointed before the end of the week regardless of the apparent year break he is supposed to be taking..

I have to say I agree with you there, maybe CA was trying to take the spotlight of him so he could finalise a deal with Villa, I mean there was a lot of speculation over the weekend and the DM seemed certain he was coming, there was also the planned meet at Villa Park to try and entice the board to get him. Now he says this on the day this is supposed to happen is a little wierd, I think he was covering his tracks until RL is in the country and they can negotiate properly, I think they are stuck in talks and each holding out for a better deal!

Probably totally wrong but thats my take on things!

Although I still want to believe, realistically I don't think Ancelotti's coming.

I seem to remember someone posted something on twitter(?) that Villa had spoken to Carlo and gave him 48hrs to decide whether he wanted the job or not. Then Monday arrives and he's decided to take a year sabbatical, and so we have our answer. It's just to much of a coincidence.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rijkaard has done nothing to even be considered for the job of our ladies team, let alone being the main man of our great club. Rijkaard was a great player of this I have no doubt, however this doesn't make him a good manager. Far too often in todays games former greats get jobs at big clubs on name alone. Moyes was my first vote aswell as my second and will be my third as well as my fouth.........

I know this forum is all about feelings and opinions, but please people - lets forget Ancelotti. It aint happening

And You know!!!!!!!

Course i dont know 100% for certain but he's as good as ruled himself out

If we listen to media 1) We would not be debating this.

2) We would be down the pub

3) We woulld be searching for the chap who eats all the balti pies before half time.

I think people are clutching straws with Ancelotti. More chance Wolly coming in...
You're probably right, but I think people are clutching at straw with regards to McClaren too.

I don't know about that.

To be honest, Carlo was always out of our league. Steve seems to be the more realistic candidate. I'm sure I read somewhere that Randy actually favours him. There's also the fact that the board may refuse to listen to the fans and stick with their decision like they did with Houllier.

A very foolish thing to do. The fans buy tickets and merchandise and if Lerner appoints a dud again then he will reap what he sows.

Rijkaard has done nothing to even be considered for the job of our ladies team, let alone being the main man of our great club. Rijkaard was a great player of this I have no doubt, however this doesn't make him a good manager. Far too often in todays games former greats get jobs at big clubs on name alone. Moyes was my first vote aswell as my second and will be my third as well as my fouth.........

Rijkaard won the Champions League as manager and was voted UEFA Manager of the Year - not too shabby!

Spot on. There's only 1 man who's going to get us Champs League in the next 4 years and that's Moyes. He needs a club that he can take to the next level, I think he knows he's never going to be able to do that at Everton.

A source close to Friedel said: “Brad’s mind was made up for him when Villa were left managerless. He would have stayed – even if Gerard Houllier had been in charge.

“He wanted to talk to the man who would be taking the team but Villa are two to three weeks from an appointment and the Spurs chance could have been gone.”

Well the only thing that has ruled out Ancelotti so far is a small Italian newspaper article which was using quotes from a few weeks ago. Nowhere has there been an official statement from him and of course he did accept a reduced payoff from Chelsea to remove that clause that said he couldn't work for 12 months, making it strange for him to then say he won't work for 12 months anyway. It's not that unrealistic to think it might still be on.

Surprised moyes is now a runaway favourite on the poll. I think martinez is the really interesting candidate. Would be a bit of a gamble but I think he could really build something great at villa. I think the fans would appreciate the style of play too.

Well the only thing that has ruled out Ancelotti so far is a small Italian newspaper article which was using quotes from a few weeks ago. Nowhere has there been an official statement from him and of course he did accept a reduced payoff from Chelsea to remove that clause that said he couldn't work for 12 months, making it strange for him to then say he won't work for 12 months anyway. It's not that unrealistic to think it might still be on.

Now why did u go and say all that for lol

It makes sense and now I'm so excited I can't sleep lol

I think people are clutching straws with Ancelotti. More chance Wolly coming in...
You're probably right, but I think people are clutching at straw with regards to McClaren too.

I don't know about that.

To be honest, Carlo was always out of our league. Steve seems to be the more realistic candidate. I'm sure I read somewhere that Randy actually favours him. There's also the fact that the board may refuse to listen to the fans and stick with their decision like they did with Houllier.

McClaren is just as unrealistic as Ancelotti. I really don't think it's going to happen, especially when you have the likes of Hughes and Benitez available.

Yeah well a fair few fans didn't want Houllier gone during the season where as it's almost unanimous that no one wants McClaren.

I don't think Mourinho, with Wenger as an assistant manager, would take us to the next level in the next 2-3 years. If we have a good (next) season we might finish 7th, excellent season and 6th (if two of the top7 struggle). But I believe even Benitez or McClaren could do that (50/50).

Moyes is the big favourite now but I can't vote for Moyes, I don't think he is available. What I want, realistically, is to be comfortably a top8 club playing attractive and exciting football. No more top4 illusion for me, the next manager won't take us there whatever his name is (unless he is the new Wenger or Sir Alex and builds a dynasty in the next 5-10 years). But if we challenge the top4 then great we challenge the top4 but my expectations are not that high. Martinez or Zola for me, if not then I'm happy with Benitez or McClaren.

Is there a reason why we haven't been linked to Quique Sanchez Flores and Louis van Gaal. Are the board that limited in vision?

I'm not sure whether you are joking or not but we have been liked with Sanchez Flores..

Where? It can't be that strong seeing as he's 200/1 on betfair.

How do links in the media (or lack of) have any bearing on what our board are doing ? The media in general have no More of an idea about the manager situation than you or I do, that's why so many journo's read these forums.

Don't believe everything you read or discount what you don't read, and give the board some credit.

Moyes won't happen, can't see it at all, If an approach was made for Moyes it would have hit the press in some form. When you look at the remaining candidates it has to be Benitez. Forget the Liverpool connection and look at this record in football, he has managed 3 big clubs - you don't get appointed if you are that shit. What he did with Valencia was so underated and has since not been done in Spain since.

As much as Benitez made dodgy signings he made some good ones, you can't discredit him that. You got to take stock of where we are as club, Benitez left liverpool and went Inter the season after tjhey won champs league, for him to come to us has to be seen as some kind of coup. The closest we have got to anything since Randy took over is 3 6th place finishes , a semi final and a final - so we haven't actually got that cup winning title challenging pedigree. When you look at this as an unbiased fan, which is hard - you have to recognise what a good signing this would be.

Cue the Benitez/Liverpool haters.

Now why did u go and say all that for lol

It makes sense and now I'm so excited I can't sleep lol

Once again...

“I have been coaching non-stop since 1995. I will take a year off and look around, study how my colleagues work.”

It's Carlos birthday on Friday 10/6/2011 (52) Happy Birthday and Welcome to Villa Park. :lol: