• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I voted for Moyes. I would have martinez, but only with Houllier upstairs with his knowledge and buying players. However dont think it will happen.

Still have a sneaky feeling Ancelotti will be appointed before the end of the week regardless of the apparent year break he is supposed to be taking..

I hope you are right about Ancelotti as I backed him at 33/1 last Wednesday.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Moyes. I would have martinez, but only with Houllier upstairs with his knowledge and buying players. However dont think it will happen.

Still have a sneaky feeling Ancelotti will be appointed before the end of the week regardless of the apparent year break he is supposed to be taking..

Strange as how Randy flew in today to hold talks and Carlo flew in last night to sort out his personal life.

Well I was told CA is still very much in the frame this afternoon as I said in the previous thread...but I voted for Moyes as in the first poll.

Nanny McPhee to sort out the dressing room spoilt brats... Now you're talkin!

I have to say I agree with you there, maybe CA was trying to take the spotlight of him so he could finalise a deal with Villa, I mean there was a lot of speculation over the weekend and the DM seemed certain he was coming, there was also the planned meet at Villa Park to try and entice the board to get him. Now he says this on the day this is supposed to happen is a little wierd, I think he was covering his tracks until RL is in the country and they can negotiate properly, I think they are stuck in talks and each holding out for a better deal!

Probably totally wrong but thats my take on things!

I voted for Hughes - realistic & solid manager - think he would be perfect for us at this moment in time.

I didn't vote for him because I want one of those unrealistic jelly like managers just for a change. LOL

LOL - I meant there is realistic chance of us getting Hughes (although.....)

Sorry I don't believe Moyes is realistic - and Hughes has done similar at many different clubs.

Definitly not Benitez or Mclaren.

Frank Rijkaard has emerged as an unexpected candidate for the vacant Aston Villa manager's job as Fulham close in on bringing Martin Jol back to English football.

Both Premier League sides are currently without coaches after Gerard Houllier resigned his post following serious health problems last week and Mark Hughes exercised a clause in his Fulham contract that allowed him to leave the club.

Villa were initially expected to invite Hughes to replace Houllier, but senior club officials insist that they have no intention of appointing the Welshman. Hughes, who has now gone through three Premier League managerial positions in four years had angered Fulham by courting the more affluent clubs while still under contract at Craven Cottage.

The 47-year-old was not Fulham's first choice to succeed Roy Hodgson last summer. Instead the club offered the position to Jol, under the mistaken understanding that the popular former Tottenham Hotspur manager was free to leave Ajax Amsterdam. Jol, who led Tottenham to consecutive fifth-placed finishes, has subsequently left Ajax and is interested in a return to London where he still owns a house.

Rijkaard returned Barcelona to Champions League success during a five season spell at the Camp Nou in which he also won two Spanish titles.

The former Netherland international contacted Villa last week to express his interest in replacing Houllier and is understood to have received a positive response.

Paul Faulkner, the Villa chief executive, has been charged with drawing up a shortlist of candidates for the position that is expected to also include Jol, Steve McClaren and Rafael Benitez. The club are also know to know admirers of David Moyes. The Scot has worked successive seasons at Everton without a transfer budget and could conceivably be tempted by Villa were the Midlands club to offer a long-term contract with significant funds to restructure their squad.

Hughes is represented by Kia Joorabchian, a controversial figure who has drawn the ire of several English and overseas clubs. On Friday, Joorabchian insisted that his client had not resigned from Fulham in the expectation of taking over at Villa. "He wants to go to club where he can fight for titles, whether that is in England, Spain, Italy or Portugal," Joorabchian said. "If that means he has to be out of management for a year then that is the case. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations.

"I stick by what we are saying - we were not talking to anybody. No other club is in consideration. The timing may have influenced the press and public that he's headed in a direction. That's not the case."

Link

I know this forum is all about feelings and opinions, but please people - lets forget Ancelotti. It aint happening

You don't know that. Remember the article where Ancelotti said he would manage West Ham and he loves British football. What made him change his mind?

We are the one of the best teams outside the top 4, with some money and a great youth system. My personal opinion is this Italian article is total rubbish and the english media have jumped on it and everyone believes it!

I believe and hope optimistically he will be our next manager based on what we know.

I know this forum is all about feelings and opinions, but please people - lets forget Ancelotti. It aint happening

We can live in hope. A lot of the other options are very depressing and the past season was depressing enough so until the vacancy is filled I would rather delude myself that Ancelotti is still an option than face the thought of McLaren or Hughes or Rafa or some of the other poll options.

I think people are clutching straws with Ancelotti. More chance Wolly coming in...
You're probably right, but I think people are clutching at straw with regards to McClaren too.

I don't know about that.

To be honest, Carlo was always out of our league. Steve seems to be the more realistic candidate. I'm sure I read somewhere that Randy actually favours him. There's also the fact that the board may refuse to listen to the fans and stick with their decision like they did with Houllier.

Out of that list you have to go for Rafa....he's the only one that's won anything.

Houllier won the treble and he was shite - Rafa won the CL with Houlliers team.. Do the math.

1) As bad as Houllier did last season, it would have been a lot different with his own signings and a pre-season.

2) Rafa still had to win the thing even with Houllier's players.

3) Rafa has won more than just "Houllier's CL". Including La Liga (2) and UEFA Cup with Valencia. FA Cup with L'pool. Got them to another CL final. LC Final. 2nd place in Prem.

Rafa is the only one of the list with Prem experience (which was a big thing last time) that has won stuff.