• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought but what would people think if we'd appointed McLeish from Rangers when he'd just beaten O'Neill's Celtic to the title on the last day (was it 2004?) with pretty much the same resources as O'Neill had if not less.

I'm not on the wind up here - just trying to see something positive in this appointment if it happens.

Actually, if you look through AM's wikipedia entry it does make for interesting reading. As I'm an eternal optimist, I thought it might be worth pointing out the following positive things from AM's managerial career to date:

Motherwell: Finished runners up to Rangers in his first season (worth noting that they finished 6th last season)

Hibernian: Couldn't prevent them from being relegated in 1998, got them back up on first attempt, 2000-2001 finished 3rd in the table and reached the final of the Scottish cup (worth noting that they finished 10th last season)

Rangers: Won the Scottish cup and Scottish league cup in his first season, won the domestic treble in his second season, lost a few top players the next season so failed to win anything but won the title again the season after, took Rangers into the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time ever, went on to take them to the last 16 (furthest a Scottish side has got since 1993).

Scotland: Recorded a famous victory against France and came incredibly close to qualifying for Euro 2008

Birmingham: Arrived too late to avoid relegation in his first season, got them back up on the first time of asking, won the league cup in his third season but couldn't prevent the team from being relegated due to having an injury plagued squad.

Now, i'm not exactly pro-McLeish, but I think he has a pretty decent CV and if the last club was anyone other than Birmingham I doubt there would be such significant protest against his appointment. I know his teams have played shit football in the past, but he's never managed a side that has decent attacking players, and I'd be interested to see how he sets the side up here given some of the players we have available.

At the very least i'm willing to give him a chance, he's not exactly a hardcore bluenose after all, he only managed them for a couple of seasons. This might turn out to be a good appointment.

this is like United appointing Dalglish as manager !!!

And at least he has pedigree

McLeish is a useless clearing in the woods. I pray that this is not true - MON has his moments, Houllier was a disaster but this really would be taking the piss!

It's a hell of a co-incidence that RL's jet went to Corsica twice this week. I remember it going to Corsica twice in the run-up to GH's appointment. It was what prompted me to lump on at odds of 20/1.

I reckon this is all much ado about nothing.

But do we even know for sure that McLeish was in Corsica? I heard he was in Greece.

Don't forget that it could have been innocent stuff to do with Houllier.

According to Pannu McLeish was indeed in Corsica

MatKendrick Mat Kendrick

#avfc WILL talk to Alex McLeish about managerial vacancy http://t.co/tXdUlS1 see today's Birmingham Mail #launchesgrenadeanddivesforcover

Interesting the bit about constructive dismissal. I guess the board know all about that from recent events. The implication is that AMc has been tapped up by Villa (Corsica) and that AMc has walked out and will claim constructive dismissal thus Villa won't have to pay compo.

I imagine someone like Neil Moxey would be disgusted if this is the case.

Is it true though?

It's on page 540 of this thread for all to read.

McCleish has always been on very good terms personally with everyone at Villa Park as was Steve Bruce.

MON actually said how appalled he was for the way Steve Bruce had been treated by the former board of BCFC.

I'm not that bothered that he's left BCFC but my biggest angst would be their style of play was worse than MON's by far

Awful and he's hardly a big name to attract players neither.

I will be absolutely gobsmacked if Randy Lerner appoints McCleish.. the Browns have a history of a coach leaving them to go and

set up a rival team and the bitter rivalry that has caused is legendary. Many Browns will concur I would think.

It will also go against every ITK I am aware of because he would be definitely a back up plan and not a main contender.

I am heartened that MM posted earlier.............. "It's not McCleish"

Calm down guys, it isn't done. Have some faith in our board, why would they appoint Mcleish? That would be insane! I have nothing against him for managing BCFC, he is just a poor manager - or at the least a manager that we should in no circumstance aspire to get. He was good at creating a solid team that didn't concede many goals, using this as a base to stay up each year. Except he failed at this in the end and got relegated twice! Why would Lerner appoint him? I really liked Houllier and still do, that made sense - this does not.

McCleish has always been on very good terms personally with everyone at Villa Park as was Steve Bruce.

MON actually said how appalled he was for the way Steve Bruce had been treated by the former board of BCFC.

I'm not that bothered that he's left BCFC but my biggest angst would be their style of play was worse than MON's by far

I will be absolutely gobsmacked if Randy Lerner appoints McCleish.. the Browns have a history of a coach leaving them to go and

set up a rival team and the bitter rivalry that has caused is legendary. Many Browns will concur I would think.

It will also go against every ITK I am aware of because he would be definitely a back up plan and not a main contender.

Sorry but you all hang on this mysterymans every word but he clearly knows nothing.

Mcleishes shock resignation, randys jet in corsica where mcleish was confirmed to be, the generals comments tonight and now kendrick saying we WILL be talking to him about the job. Its all starting to make sense and im physically shaking right now.

Just a thought but what would people think if we'd appointed McLeish from Rangers when he'd just beaten O'Neill's Celtic to the title on the last day (was it 2004?) with pretty much the same resources as O'Neill had if not less.

I'm not on the wind up here - just trying to see something positive in this appointment if it happens.

Actually, if you look through AM's wikipedia entry it does make for interesting reading. As I'm an eternal optimist, I thought it might be worth pointing out the following positive things from AM's managerial career to date:

Motherwell: Finished runners up to Rangers in his first season (worth noting that they finished 6th last season)

Hibernian: Couldn't prevent them from being relegated in 1998, got them back up on first attempt, 2000-2001 finished 3rd in the table and reached the final of the Scottish cup (worth noting that they finished 10th last season)

Rangers: Won the Scottish cup and Scottish league cup in his first season, won the domestic treble in his second season, lost a few top players the next season so failed to win anything but won the title again the season after, took Rangers into the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time ever, went on to take them to the last 16 (furthest a Scottish side has got since 1993).

Scotland: Recorded a famous victory against France and came incredibly close to qualifying for Euro 2008

Birmingham: Arrived too late to avoid relegation in his first season, got them back up on the first time of asking, won the league cup in his third season but couldn't prevent the team from being relegated due to having an injury plagued squad.

Now, i'm not exactly pro-McLeish, but I think he has a pretty decent CV and if the last club was anyone other than Birmingham I doubt there would be such significant protest against his appointment. I know his teams have played shit football in the past, but he's never managed a side that has decent attacking players, and I'd be interested to see how he sets the side up here given some of the players we have available.

At the very least i'm willing to give him a chance, he's not exactly a hardcore bluenose after all, he only managed them for a couple of seasons. This might turn out to be a good appointment.

Just admit FFS you want him to be our next manager - Grow some balls man you been positive about him all night. It's plain and simple you want him just admit it.. It's an open forum and your entitled to your opinion..

To you and Big Ek my friend.. :cheers:

As much as I value the opinion of anonymous 'ITKs' on internet messageboards, I think the statement in support of McLeish from General Krulak shows that it most definitely is McLeish!

I can't believe this, We are approaching McLeish. I'm just shocked.

GET THE **** OUT OF MY CLUB RANDY LERNER. **** OFF BACK TO AMERICA. YOU DONT DO THIS OVER HERE.

you just believe everything you read. you wanna lay off the liffey water.

God i'm fed up of this. This has taken over my life the past 2 weeks. Alex **** Mcleish - jesus wept. My dad is 55 years old and has been going down the villa for half a century and he is so upset over this - he is heartbroken that his beloved club is doing this - what the **** is going on