• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The McLeish situation is different because we have direct quotes supporting the information. We have quotes from McLeish stating that he was interested in the job, quotes from the board members at BCFC stating that we've been in contact with them and that they are seeking compensation for McLeish quitting and now we've had a lengthy post defending McLeish from a member of our own board! (Assuming it's genuine that is).

Either everyone involved is conspiring in the worlds greatest diversionary tactic, or we really are getting McLeish in.

What we have is a despicable club airing their laundry in public view (Birmingham, that is - not villa).

The only other club to go public was Wigan - because that was always going to look good for them.

Why does that imply that Martinez and McLeish are the ONLY managers they have approached? Have a little faith.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'd be a pretty good appointment, not the great appointment others like Ancelotti or Moyes would have been, but certainly not the disaster McClaren or Rafa would have been either.

This! Fact is that he's proven himself successful wherever he's gone. We might not like him because he's ex-blues, or because his teams play turgid football, but you can't deny that the man knows how to succeed.

Im sorry but what the hell have you two been smoking? Id snap your hands off for Rafa over most people. Hes Won the CL and been a runner up and won a fair bit more with Liverpool, not to mention he did well at Valencia. How is it a good appointment?

Successful? Blues were a pretty okayish midtable team before he took over IIRC. Hes got them relegated twice, how is that good? Or am I being levelled into this reply and Im missing the joke somewhere.. I dont even care what he did in Scotland either, its the SPL.

It doesn't bother me hes managed SHA, it bothers me that hes a **** shit manager.

/Rant.

I can't believe Villa are seriously approaching McLeish. That's fookin suicide. Drove his former club to relegation.

Villa are the most attractive jobs in the country, on par with Tottenham I'd say. You don't need to appoint shite like him.

Wouldnt say were on par with tottenham at all, not anymore and this saga has just proved it. If we were that attractive we'd probably have a manager by now but as it stands were scraping the bottom of the barrel for names like mcleish.

Can't understand it myself. You have one of the better stadiums, a good history, a rich owner, good fans, and you're in a good city.

Not long ago we were fighting for a CL spot.

You deserve someone like Ranieri, not this tosser.

The McLeish situation is different because we have direct quotes supporting the information. We have quotes from McLeish stating that he was interested in the job, quotes from the board members at BCFC stating that we've been in contact with them and that they are seeking compensation for McLeish quitting and now we've had a lengthy post defending McLeish from a member of our own board! (Assuming it's genuine that is).

Either everyone involved is conspiring in the worlds greatest diversionary tactic, or we really are getting McLeish in.

What we have is a despicable club airing their laundry in public view (Birmingham, that is - not villa).

The only other club to go public was Wigan - because that was always going to look good for them.

Why does that imply that Martinez and McLeish are the ONLY managers they have approached? Have a little faith.

The fact we've even approached McLeish is the more reason not to have faith.

Can't understand it myself. You have one of the better stadiums, a good history, a rich owner, good fans, and you're in a good city.

Not long ago we were fighting for a CL spot.

You deserve someone like Ranieri, not this tosser.

Couldnt agree more tbh the days of top6 were amazing and its dawning on me that its definitely not happening again anytime soon. Some posters here are talking about over-reaction but were all entitled to an opinion and IF we appoint mcleish its the start of the downfall of the club i love imo.

I agree.

we were forced to declare interest in martinez due to David Whelan being very vocal.

I believe all this business with McLeish is fairly substantial however i don't think he is 100% getting the job. After reading what Krulak has said i believe that McLeish has got an interview or has had an interview with the club however im certain we have interviewed many managers and that randy has told them that he will let them know whether they have been sucessful or not.

I think that the way things look ATM is we can't rule out McLeish coming to villa yet their are other candidates which are in the view for the job and after randy has finished interviewing everyone the board will sit down and decide which candidate has stood out and will be best for the job.

I'm going to bed soon... I think I'll wake up in a cold sweat having had the worst nightmare ever.......

It's Thursday 2pm live on SSN....

Just after watching Ashley Young draped in red, white and black standing on the pitch of Old Trafford live on SSN

PC at BMH more chairs than usual behind the desk............

In walks PF to introduce Aston Villa's new ginger haired Scottish manager..... Welcome Daviiiiiii...erm I mean Alex McCleish

along with Villa's newest player Phil Neville!

NOOOOOOO!!!

Peter Pannu is really shouting his mouth off about us in tomorrow papers

Really unprofessionally in my opinion. I hope Villa take him to the cleaners, even if we don't appoint McLeish. No doubts the papers will spin the shit out of it to cause maximum crap for both clubs. This will run and run unless Villa do something quickly, such as appoint another Manager.

Peter Pannu is really shouting his mouth off about us in tomorrow papers

Yeah but there's a really good write up about it all from Jonathan Fear.

Pannu links

No where as Pannu said we have approached BCFC to speak to their manager All he is saying is that we replied to an email off him from our legal department.....

All sounds a very odd way of doing business for AVFC to suddenly change the way we conduct business...... when Whelan has publically stated that the club had written to him honourably to ask permission in order to speak to Martinez 2 weeks ago?

If we seriously had wanted McCleish why not wait until July 1st so compensation would be halved or indeed why didn't RL write to BCFC in the same manner as he handled matters with Wigan???!!

Why also would the first contact we had over AM, if he was wanted with BCFC be from the legal dept?

I think people need to get over the fact of all these divertionary tactics as GK was once in the marines. Like someone mentioned, it would be highly unfair on McLeish wouldn't it? Using him as a pawn in our battle to keep the media in the dark?? I know we hate the blues, but come on; that is taking things a little too far.

With regards to Krulaks comments on facebook. They were real. They have been confirmed by a guy who was chatting to him on facebook believing it to be a private conversation on his wall, only to be bombarded with fellow Villa fans joining the dicussion. The comment was then removed by the guy is question who is on twitter.

AVFC_Meakin richard meakin

@ @Cheesy_Combo i left him a comment on his wall in which he replyed to as a comment, others from VV joined the convo

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

@ @Coop_86 @jw248 @Cheesy_Combo Yes ! lol ..... Feel bad for GK now, if he wanted it public he will post in a forum , so i deleted them.

@ @VitalVilla nope me, look at all the stick it has caused .. I have posted in the thread sayin why , just out of respect

@ @jw248 @Cheesy_Combo he answered summat i posted on his wall, but i have now deleted it, didnt think that many ppl would notice lol

Personally, I won't be best pleased if we do appoint McLeish. Firstly, If he was on ONE of our primary list of targets initially on who matched the criteria of RL and the Villa board; it would make me very concerned. However, at least it would explain the silence and the secret meetings in Corsica & why Villa have been so quiet throughout this whole process. But, for me that is no consolation. If infact he was NEVER on our SHORTLIST, then this spells desperation and a lack of contingency plans set out before Houllier left; something which I have been applauding & commending them for over the past 10 days.

I will NOT stop supporting Villa because of this. I live and breath Aston Villa. But, I will be very disgruntled , bewildered and quite frankly perplexed at the direction RL & PF believe the great club of ours is going. It would signal one thing, that, although we knew it was a time of re-building; it is more of a sign that we are not a club moving in the right direction.

McLeish has managed two places: Scotland and Birmingham City, i.e. his only experiences are the utter lowest forms of football known to humanity. This appointment would make no sense on any level.

And Rangers, where he managed to do quite well. Even made it to the Final 16 in CL, which is no small feat with a SPL team.

This would seem to be a natural progression in his career. He's pretty much proven himself everywhere that he can win.

I meant Scotland in general! He's yet to prove anything outside Scotland from what I've seen. I don't see the 'natural progression' from relegation to an ambitious top 8 side.

Well, I certainly cannot defend the fact that outside of Scotland, there hasn't been a huge success for him. However, I think his time in sha is better than perceived. He happened to be the manager when they first got relegated, cannot hold that against him. Also, didn't have ambitious owners yet still got them a cup and a good position in the league. I think he deserves a better shot.

Is he the man for Villa? I cannot nor can anyone answer that question until we see results. And I'm not going to say one opinion is greater than the other. I think there are guys with better pedigrees out there, but I wouldn't say that McLeish would be the death of Villa like some are acting.

Yeh the "smokes And mirrors" thing - sorry i aint buying taht anymore.

Its increasingly sounding like we ARE interested in McLeish. At least in talking to or considering.

I still think him leaving Blues had nothing to do with us . He left due to them wanting to sell Johnson , money problems , maybe even signing players he didnt want etc..ie- he fell out with the Blues board.

But its increasingly looking like we are interested in speaking to McLeish . That in itself is a real head scratcher for me.

This is fast becoming the biggest mess I can remember as a Villa fan. As I posted earlier, there is not one single reason why Alex McLeish should even be considered. It's completely illogical, from a football point of view and a financial point of view, not to mention the morale implications.

If this happens I will honestly be speechless. They're surely not that stupid? Surely? :?

Taking into account alot of different factors not to mention this situation is getting a bit messy. I personally think McCleish won’t become Villa manager.

I can see similarities to the Martinez scenario, McCleish is on our shortlist, we have simply approached the club asking about the availability of the manager. Panu's response, McCleish is'nt currently available without compensation (rumoured £2m - £5m). So unless Randy is desperate to get McCleish, I would guess he won't be proceeding further just like he did with Martinez.