• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

For me, something just DOES NOT add up here!

First we are linked with Ancelotti and he is supposed to be signing and then he says he is taking 1 year off from football. A rather strange thing to say unless you were being prevented from taking another job for 1 year for some reason, such as it is written in your previous contract?

Then we are supposedly rejected by Benitez because we wouldn't give him assurances about a £30m transfer kitty, which you would surely expect him to get if we are to sell at least 1 star player for a reported £20m? I mean come on, how can you expect a man to take a job at a club that has allowed 12 players to leave and not expect him to want at least £30m to try to re-build his own squad? I personally didn't think that was asking too much by the FSW.

Then, we are led to believe that Martinez was on his way, although his existing Chairman believed he would stay loyal to him, which turns out to be true with Villa not even getting to the negotiations stage.

Now we are led to believe it will be David Moyes who got nearly 50% of the vote of fans in the original poll.

Now, maybe it's me but wouldn't you have started with Moyes BEFORE you even thought of talking to Martinez? If we get Moyes now, what will that say? Does it mean that we were being advised to go for Martinez because people at the club thought that he was better than Moyes? If so i find that a bit worrying to be honest.

This is my own personal theory. I believe that our original target was Ancelotti and that he wanted the job too but he had an agreement in his contract that forbids him to manage any other club for 1 year after leaving his post at Chelsea. So, with that in mind, Villa search for someone to fill the hotseat for just a year before we are allowed to bring in Ancelotti.

Benitez still has a reputation to keep intact and would obviously want to spend some cash in that time in order to give himself as good a chance as possible to get us up the table and to a decent enough finish to sell himself to another future club. Villa refuse to give such a large amount to a temporary manager and the deal is off.

They then turn to Martinez after being alerted to the fact that he only has 1 year left at Wigan. Maybe the board thought that a deal could be struck that suited both parties. He still has employment for a year and gets the chance to show what he can do at a bigger club in order to sell himself to a bigger club than Wigan when we let him go at the end of the year. He hears about this proposal from his chairman and decides that this is not for him and that he would prefer the stability of a new 3 year deal with his existing club. I mean, come on, why else would he turn down even talking to Villa to stay at such an un-ambitious club? Surely they wouldn't be offering him so much in wages and promised transfer funds that he wouldn't even give us time of day to interview him?

That leaves Villa frustrated and thinking that maybe they are wasting time in finding a man with the right credentials to fill the post for just a year. After all, they would still need to ensure that we are in the top flight at the end of it and would therefore need someone of substantial enough quality to lead us for that time. So then they decide to change direction from their original path and take a permanent manager now and they then turn to the man whom the fans wanted from the very start - David Moyes!

If this is not the case, you have to ask serious questions about Randy and the ambition of the club. Why not look at Moyes before Martinez? Why wouldn't a man like Martinez even give us time of day for an interview?

I don't buy all this shit that we are not a big club. I just think that our aims didn't suit the potential target and maybe we have now had to change tack and look at getting in the main man now instead of in a year's time. At least, I hope that is what is happening!

Wow sorry to point out mate, but there is a hell of a lot of presumptions and fill in the blank moments within this post. None of this really happened, I'm on the Villa website yeh?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's any "perfect" way of doing this. It seems that the club have a short-list of potential managers, and naturally, they'd like to interview them.

Martinez was clearly one of the managers on that list, and in order to get the opportunity to speak to him, we had to make an official approach to Wigan. We did that, but Martinez chose to stay at Wigan.

It's all worked out very well for Wigan and Whelan, who've been very complimentary about us and the way we go about things. Unfortunately for us, it's given Whelan a bit of publicity, and some more sensationalist parts of the media are calling this a snub.

We didn't speak to him, so there can be no rejection or snub is nothing's been offered.

A bit of an anticlimax - but be patient and watch this space.

I think we need to not worry so much. Martinez was one of the managers on the list. Like Bubbadogs post above (or probably 50 pages back by the time I get round to pressing send), I think he chose not to antagonise his chairman, and enhance his reputation for decency by not jumping at the chance of an interview for a job he probably wouldn't get anyway. No ITK knowledge at all, but I just don't think our board are idiots.

I don't think we are an unattractive club to go to, it wouldn't take too much to get us back where we were under MON and hopefully get into a position where we are one of the challengers for the top 4 at some point in the future. We underachieved badly last season, which was always on the cards once MON had left the way he did, and I think it is broadly similar to the Spurs situation when Redknapp came in. I don't think we would have let managers like Jol (who I would have been happy with), and to a lesser extent even Sam Allardyce (who I would have been less fussed on) slip through our fingers if we weren't confident that we would be bringing in someone more suitable. I also don't believe these managers would go to Fulham and especially West Ham if we were seriously interested. We have demanding fans and high expectations it seems, however I seriously doubt any more so than any of the big clubs in the PL. We are a big club - we are capable of being one of the Champions League challengers, we just need the right people.

As others have said, the way we are run, means we don't feed info to the media and they go on a total BS free for all about what is going on at our club. Maybe that is something we can address in a positive way, while maintaining our own high levels of business decency. One of the things levelled at Liverpool with the Barry saga was that they had lost that attribute in their dealings and become classless. I think they are trying to address that with their new owners and Dalglish and I think we have it in abundance.

I am confident that the right person will be found and we will be able to move on and rebuild for the future. Never any guarantees of course, but I certainly still have my faith in the board to find a positive solution.

Bizarrely last week while we were all caught up in the Ancelotti stories (which would have been a magnificent appointment if we could have pulled it off) I dreamed that we got Moyes and Hughes went up to Everton. I would take that :)

There is a manager available who wants the job. He won a trophy and got to the uefa final in his first management job. Then in his next club management job he won the dutch league.

Can`t think of his name.

S TOP

T ELLING US

E VERY POST

V ALHALLA

E VERYTHING YOU

M ENTION IS

C RAP

C ANT BE

L ISTENIN

A GAIN

R EALLY..

E NOUGH NOW

N OB HEAD

The whole thing appears very smoke and mirrors, perhaps I'm being naive or blindly optimistic but it seems like a very clever plan for some kind of bigger picture.

Think about it, how many people will be gobsmacked when we do appoint someone good media and fans of all kinds up and down the country. They might be laughing now but...

smoke and mirror rubbish..its just media..end of.

Villa have said 3 things.

1. were getting a manager

2. be patient

3 its not martinez

thats it. all the rest is us, media and Mystery Man...hahah whoever he is...

Lerner is the best chairman we ever had....O Neill was great until it turned sour...Houliier was a woory but was moving in the right direction. Lets not slag anybody off until we know who it is and then we can all have our say. Me I'd love Rijkaard and have said that from the start...will it be him...according to Mysterman No its Moyes...but for all we know it could be Kenny Dalglish or Barry Fry

As you were quoting my post I'll assume your referring to me slagging off the chairman? Not true. My post was intended positively.

And the media hype is largely created by the way Villa go about things...hence my smoke and mirrors theory.

There is a manager available who wants the job. He won a trophy and got to the uefa final in his first management job. Then in his next club management job he won the dutch league.

Can`t think of his name.

S TOP

T ELLING US

E VERY POST

V ALHALLA

E VERYTHING YOU

M ENTION IS

C RAP

C ANT BE

L ISTENIN

A GAIN

R EALLY..

E NOUGH NOW

N OB HEAD

You spelt (K)NOB incorrectly.

Villarocker your post is sadly wrong on a few points.

Ancelloti did not have the clause that he couldn't manage anyone else.

A temp manager for a year before hiring Carlo? This is madness. Next year Carlo could walk into a top Champions League team and give himself the job.

My God some of us have lost our minds.

Lmao

Valhalla (Kieran Short) had an e-mail read out on SSN

Basically saying how good a manager Steve McClaren is and how the Villa board need to be strong appoint him.

Can`t think of his name.

S TOP

T ELLING US

E VERY POST

V ALHALLA

E VERYTHING YOU

M ENTION IS

C RAP

C ANT BE

L ISTENIN

A GAIN

R EALLY..

E NOUGH NOW

N OB HEAD

You spelt (K)NOB incorrectly.

forgive me.

IMO we have approached say 4/5 people martinez being one approx 9/10 days ago saying you are on a shortlist and we would like to interviw let us know by 1:30 Friday as interviews will be the following week. Whelan has then came out and made it know Martinez is one but will most likely stay at Wigan all others have kept quiet as they would like to speak to the club. Interviews will then be held next week Monday/Tuesda with 2nd intervies Weds/Thurs and a new man appointed either Friday or the following Monday. All my opinion though and as I have mentioned before I think it will be Moyes

Can`t think of his name.

Can we ban this clown. Its hard enough following this thread without having to deal with spam, especially stupid stuff he posts.