Italian Football

Troglodyte

So I've been looking up on Totti lately..

The guy is 35 Serie A goals away from becoming the top ever scorer in the competition (he's on 240, he needs 275 to beat the current record of 274), do you think he could do it?  He'll be 39 in Sept, but he's still knocking them in fairly regularly (5 this season in 18 apps, with 5 assists).

He's contracted until 2016, so he's got a potential 50 games to do it in.  I can't imagine he'll want to retire with it being that close, him taking the set pieces/pens etc.

One of the last great Italians playing I think, goes down with Del Piero, Vieri, Maldini, Pirlo et al who just managed to keep going and going.

I'll be gutted when he hangs up his boots. 

• Like 1

I think it depends where he's played. He scored 12 goals (and assisted 12) the season before last.

He does seem to be dropping deeper, but I'd keep him as that guy behind the striker.

He basically invented Messi's "False 9" position.

Also, as recently as December, he was quoted as saying:

"I'd be lying if I said that I've never thought about it," the former Italy international told the Corriere dello Sport. "I want this most beautiful record. I know that it will not be easy, but then, they never even thought that I'd arrive at the tally I have today.

"I can reach Piola's record for the number of goals scored."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2014/12/05/6792392/totti-wants-serie-a-goal-scoring-record

Edited by lapal_fan

Why has Italian football gone to shit? It used to be wonderful in the mid 90's.

I know, it's a huge shame in many ways.

I think the fact a lot of people over the years have accused Italian teams of being too defensive, even though you get game high scoring games regularly.

Then you have the corruption side of it, of which I still think is going on, maybe in lesser ways, but sometimes you see things happening and think "no way".

I think a lot of sponsors pulled out because who wants to be associated with cheats?

Then you have the crowd trouble, aging stadiums..

It all adds up.

But in the end, football is the most cyclical thing in the world, they'll have their day in the sun again. Hopefully when that time comes, Milan and Roma will be winning everything in sight! [emoji1]

I think the fact a lot of people over the years have accused Italian teams of being too defensive, even though you get game high scoring games regularly.

Then you have the corruption side of it, of which I still think is going on, maybe in lesser ways, but sometimes you see things happening and think "no way".

I think a lot of sponsors pulled out because who wants to be associated with cheats?

It all adds up.

But in the end, football is the most cyclical thing in the world, they'll have their day in the sun again. Hopefully when that time comes, Fiorentina will be winning everything in sight! [emoji1]

Agreed... :)

• Like 1

It all adds up.

But in the end, football is the most cyclical thing in the world, they'll have their day in the sun again. Hopefully when that time comes, Fiorentina will be winning everything in sight! [emoji1]

Agreed... :)

Shall we just go live in Milan or Rome with each other? [emoji7]

those in the know as to why italian football has gone to shit, how much of an impact does the no reserve league / huge number of players on loan / co-ownership thing impact the league?

there seems to be a huge amount of turnover of players in italy, destro for example, good player, national team player, goal ratio of 1 in 2, roma have loaned him out to milan, doesnt make sense, the other young players in the national team, gabbiadini is at his 6th club at 23, okaka at his 8th at 25, genoa every transfer window seem to have around 10 out and 10 in

You could make an argument that Italian club football's rise to prominence was an artificial construct I guess.   It didn't really take off until English clubs were banned from Europe post Heysel and then it benefited from a post Italia 90 boom.  They had a good run but I think they will continue to lose ground on the leagues ahead of them.  The loss of that fourth Champions League spot to Germany a couple of years back was a huge blow for Serie A. 

for Euro 96 the Premier League boom was probably bigger than Italia 90 but I believe Serie A was still bigger before that, when thye opened up for foreigners backi in early 80s they still had the big players like Platini, Brady, Maradona, Zico, Van Basten going there

It's done a swop with the prem now...in the 90s you had the likes of Zola, Vialli, Ravanelli, Di Canio, Lombardo, Gullit etc all turning up in the prem, great players but all in or coming up to their 30s.

Now the prem gets young players who hit their peaks while Seria A hovers up veterans like Vidic and Evra or players who didn't cut it in England like Gervinho and Podolski.

Â