Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Despite Birmingham being the second largest city in the UK, why do we still call the City Centre where all the blues fans drink as Town?  We became a City in 1889 so it's not even as if anyone has a parent who would have known it as a Town. 

How much carbon is involved in growing, transporting, planting and nurturing a carbon offset sapling and how many are then eaten by deer or snapped by kids?

Would we possibly have been better off not buying that NFT with bitcoin in the first place?

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Despite Birmingham being the second largest city in the UK, why do we still call the City Centre where all the blues fans drink as Town?  We became a City in 1889 so it's not even as if anyone has a parent who would have known it as a Town. 

I suspect all cities are the same. Certainly here in Leeds, people say 'going into town'. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

How much carbon is involved in growing, transporting, planting and nurturing a carbon offset sapling and how many are then eaten by deer or snapped by kids?

Would we possibly have been better off not buying that NFT with bitcoin in the first place?

The world would be a much better place if not of that shite had ever existed. Future generations will marvel at how we decided, just at the moment that the planet was heating beyond our control, to develop a series of Ponzi schemes that will not only ruin the lives of most who touch them, but also do it in the most absurdly energy-intensive way possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

What Mike said but it reminded me that it can also cause confusion.

What happens when the smaller place you are in is located between two much larger places?

Where I used to live (Formby), if I go to the station and ask for a "return to town please," I'm very often replied to with... "Sorry, do you mean Liverpool or Southport?" Because around here the mix is 50/50 ish between people who are Lancastrian and Scousers and a lot of those Lancastrians will associate "town" as being Southport and not Liverpool. I've trained myself to be more specific in this situation as it used to happen with great regularity at either of the stations and lots of the staff

If I do the same where I currently live (Hightown), one stop down the line, I will encounter no misunderstanding and receive a ticket for Liverpool every time

• Like 2

Growing up in Tamworth to Brummie parents if I said 'town' I'd have meant Tamworth town centre.

My Mom & Dad however would say they're going into Tamworth or if they said going to town they'd have meant Brum.

Edited by Wainy316

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Growing up in Tamworth to Brummie parents if I said 'town' I'd have meant Tamworth town centre.

My Mom & Dad however would say they're going into Tamworth or if they said going to town they'd have meant Brum.

Damn right too.  If you were going to Tamworth you should say "I'm going to the village" of course.  If going to Kingsbury you would be going to the hamlet.  My wife grew up in Hurley, she would just go to the shop.

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Birmingham is definitely town for me. Sutton, the suburb of Birmingham (since 1974) I live in, would be called by its name. 

:trollface:

But yes, same for this Great Barrite, Sutton was Sutton, West Brom was f***ing West Brom and the city centre was town

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

:trollface:

But yes, same for this Great Barrite, Sutton was Sutton, West Brom was f***ing West Brom and the city centre was town

Sorry, I mean to say the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield 👑  ;) 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Cripes you can't even do that correctly. It was the Royal BOROUGH of Sutton Coldfield :mrgreen:

7Jb3Mvl.jpeg

🧐

To be fair, Sutton is embracing its kidnap by Brum, as it now resembles Erdington in a number of areas! 🤪

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you know where the Sutton bit comes from?

Something to do when it was in Mercia but wouldn't know without looking 

Â