Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Growing up in Tamworth to Brummie parents if I said 'town' I'd have meant Tamworth town centre.

My Mom & Dad however would say they're going into Tamworth or if they said going to town they'd have meant Brum.

We moved from Brum to Droitwich. It's changed a bit now since lived all over the place but we were like your parents. If we were going to Birmingham we were going to town. If we were going to Droitwich town centre we'd be going to Droitwich. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Erdington is gods country isn’t it?  When you think of villa areas , Erdington automatically comes to mind . 

Absolutely. Pure guesswork but i'd say Erdington would be most Villa part of Birmingham, nowadays. 

19 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Definitely so I’d say . 

Also say Kingstanding as well. 

But apparently small heath are the true 'working class' fans and all Villa fans wear monocles and top hats! 

Edited by Xela

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

But apparently small heath are the true 'working class' fans and all Villa fans wear monocles and top hats! 

It's strange how all their working class jobs always coincide with small heath kick off times.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yep, another area I associate with villa. Well I always thought we had a bit of class about us. No blues drink in Erdington. Mate .

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Yep, another area I associate with villa. Well I always thought we had a bit of class about us. No blues drink in Erdington. Mate .

That's because nearly every boozer in North Brum has shut down . Even I don't drink in the ERD ( But that's because I haven't touched alcohol in 4 years to be fair)

1 hour ago, Xela said:

No idea what you mean. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I am looking for advice VTers. 

I am a man in my 50s who has collected a large number of collectibles and souvenirs in my lifetime.  Its time for a sort out. I want to sell items that have a value but aren't the top end of the market. 

1. What's the best way to advertise these on line?  There seem so many choices. Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved etc.  

2. What the safest way to receive payments?

If anyone does this sort of thing regularly I would love to hear from you.   

But ANY advice would be appreciated.  

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am looking for advice VTers. 

I am a man in my 50s who has collected a large number of collectibles and souvenirs in my lifetime.  Its time for a sort out. I want to sell items that have a value but aren't the top end of the market. 

1. What's the best way to advertise these on line?  There seem so many choices. Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved etc.  

2. What the safest way to receive payments?

If anyone does this sort of thing regularly I would love to hear from you.   

But ANY advice would be appreciated.  

1- Ebay is ok, just be aware that they do take a percentage of what you sell and if you are a first time seller it will be a bit before you get your money. Listing is easy though and can attract buyers from all over the world if you put that you will offer International shipping. Ebay tends to calculate the shipping for you for certain items, but you can do it yourself also. Whenever I have sold something I took the item I was selling to a post office first just to get a rough idea of how much I needed to put for shipping before I listed it. I have used offerup and facebook marketplace as well to sell some stuff and I'd recommend them too.

2-Paypal is only thing Ebay accepts(At least I believe that it is). It is as secure as you can get. With the others I let people cashapp me or if live close enough just meet them and they can give me cash, check, or money order.

Also if you do list something on Ebay make sure you describe every little thing about it. Some buyers will try to send it back or give you negative feedback if they see something wrong it that you didn't put on listing.

Good luck.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

2-Paypal is only thing Ebay accepts(At least I believe that it is). It is as secure as you can get. With the others I let people cashapp me or if live close enough just meet them and they can give me cash, check, or money order.

Do you really still use cheques? I don't think I've seen one in ten years.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

Do you really still use cheques? I don't think I've seen one in ten years.

Lol I know some people that do and I have accepted some last couple years when I've sold something. But yes it is defintely a rarer things overall these days for sure.

3 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Lol I know some people that do and I have accepted some last couple years when I've sold something. But yes it is defintely a rarer things overall these days for sure.

There is an option on most of my banking apps to scan a cheque to pay it in. I think I'm going to start asking people for one so I can see how well they work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

There is an option on most of my banking apps to scan a cheque to pay it in. I think I'm going to start asking people for one so I can see how well they work.

I've cashed a few cheques that way from my mother in law.  She used to send the kids one for their Birthdays etc

Worked a dream, just take a photo of the cheque and upload it it the app. 

Unfortunately she died in March so I doubt I'll ever see another cheque again.  Haven't seen one from anywhere else for years. 

At work we still return most money to clients with Cheques.  For a couple of years we were highly encouraged to request returns electronically but with the amount of crime using false bank account payments it's now gone the other way.  There are so many hoops to jump though to check, recheck and get it authorised that it's just easier to get cheques issued. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, limpid said:

Big Salad is american Limpid. I believe cheques are still a big thing. 

• Like 2

Â