Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

American banking is still in the Stone Age.  Last time I went (2017) chip and pin was very rare let alone tap and pay.

US banking has always lagged behind Europe. When we went in the early 90s, cashpoint cards only worked in the ATMs for your own bank (no central clearing system). Dunno if that's changed. My brother in law was having to write cheques every couple of months to pay his utility bills. I was staggered, and I asked him why he didn't just set up a direct debit or standing order. No such thing, apparently. In the home of both high tech and capitalism, I found this remarkable. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

There is an option on most of my banking apps to scan a cheque to pay it in. I think I'm going to start asking people for one so I can see how well they work.

Works brilliantly. I got sent a random compo cheque a few months ago by HSBC, took a photo, money in my account in three working days and as I use a branchless bank it was my only option

• Like 1

I'm not even sure where my cheque book is. Mrs Sidcow still actually carries one around in her suitcase sized handbag. 

Edited to correct grammatical error but I'm blowed if I'll follow the advised correction so changed altogether because I'm small minded like that. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Do you really still use cheques? I don't think I've seen one in ten years.

The ground rent on my house is £1.26 a year. Every 6 months the lease owner would send me a printed invoice for 63p and I had to send them a cheque for the 63p. It would be cheaper for them to just pay the rent themselves… but anyway, eventually I got fed up with having to have a bank account with a cheque book and sent them 10 years rent in advance to save us both the hassle. But they still only take cheques. Knobbers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

When was the Leader board added? Only just spotted this... 

And think I might be reading it wrong as how on earth has @Xela made 27,000 posts this month and @Phil Silvers made 7,000 posts today? Assuming that's lifetime posts? 

Yes it’s the number of posts they’ve ever made, but the leaderboard shows how many likes (or reactions) they’ve received in that month, or whatever time period you’re looking at.

I believe the leaderboard has been there for at least as long as I’ve been here (6 years), and longer than that.

55 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

And think I might be reading it wrong as how on earth has @Xela made 27,000 posts this month and @Phil Silvers made 7,000 posts today? Assuming that's lifetime posts? 

Uh ohhh.  Someone's never won the day. :crylaugh:

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

27,000 posts today. I'm a combination of various Russian bots. 

I doubt it’s possible but I would be mildly curious to know which poster’s content I’ve “liked” the most and who has done likewise with me the most often. 

And I sometimes wonder how many posts I’ve agreed with at the time but wouldn’t do so now. Let alone the rubbish I’ve posted myself.

While I’m thinking of it, I often wonder how many dynamics there are where two posters lock horns in On Topic but they share a mutual interest in Off Topic and so get on perfectly fine there.

• Like 3

I wish it would notify you when you've won the day.  Having just checked I won it 2 days ago, had no idea. 

Now I can feel all superior to other less impressive posters for a couple of hours. 👍👍

Decided to ignore 9 or 10 posters yesterday before todays game to see how different the VT experience would be............ and it is a revelation, never ignored anyone before.

No one has really offended me, I just dislike what some people have to say, whether they are right or wrong. I think I've formed a picture in my head of a certain few and read their posts as I feel they mean me to read them and all I wanna do is say STFU most times, so why read their posts. Works a treat.

Apologies if I do not get back to anyone, I can't read your posts haha.

ps. I've noticed you cannot ban everyone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Decided to ignore 9 or 10 posters yesterday before todays game to see how different the VT experience would be............ and it is a revelation, never ignored anyone before.

No one has really offended me, I just dislike what some people have to say, whether they are right or wrong. I think I've formed a picture in my head of a certain few and read their posts as I feel they mean me to read them and all I wanna do is say STFU most times, so why read their posts. Works a treat.

43 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Test

😉

• Haha 1

Â