Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 11/09/2021 at 12:37, Wainy316 said:

American banking is still in the Stone Age.  Last time I went (2017) chip and pin was very rare let alone tap and pay.

Yep I went in 2019 and don't think I used chip and pin anywhere.

It was all swipe and sign

The other night I was sat in the living room and could easily see the moon go across the sky over a few hours about halfway up the window. Tonight you have to bend down slightly to see it.

I know the moon does 'move' in the sky but seems really weird for it to have moved so much in just a couple of days.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

The other night I was sat in the living room and could easily see the moon go across the sky over a few hours about halfway up the window. Tonight you have to bend down slightly to see it.

I know the moon does 'move' in the sky but seems really weird for it to have moved so much in just a couple of days.

OMG OMG OMG. 

YOU HAVE TO BEND DOWN TO SEE THE MOON!! 

image.png.f1b6da0e1aa2f6dd0a35d8a4c240e068.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Moon's orbit is not aligned to Earth's rotational axis. It orbits at over 2,000 mph and averages 250,000 miles away. The speed and the angle mean the Moon looks like it moves quite a bit when viewed from a single observation point on the Earth in a short amount of time, especially when your reference frame is "a couple of days".

For anyone interested in more information on the moon, the Small Faces album, Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake has one side devoted to finding out how and why  the moon changes in the sky. Spoiler: there’s nothing to get too worried about.

15 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

If the moon can influence the oceans and tides, then who's to say it can't move us in some way, given that we are made up of so much water?

It is moving you in some way. Just not to an extent you can distinguish. Similarly, your head is subject to slightly less gravity than your feet by virtue of being further from the earth. Just not by any easily measurable amount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

If the moon can influence the oceans and tides, then who's to say it can't move us in some way, given that we are made up of so much water?

Lunar - Lunacy. Don’t like the word and the connotations of it but it’s a word that has its historic roots in the way people believed the phases of the moon affected peoples minds. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Lunar - Lunacy. Don’t like the word and the connotations of it but it’s a word that has its historic roots in the way people believed the phases of the moon affected peoples minds. 

Women's menstrual cycles say 'hi'. 

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Lunar - Lunacy. Don’t like the word and the connotations of it but it’s a word that has its historic roots in the way people believed the phases of the moon affected peoples minds

Origins of the werewolf myth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

TrailBLAZING one's way to understanding the cosmos requires the HIGHest levels of competency in all things space cadet, thanking you kindly.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Thanks, was unawares to that.

"Abracadabra" is from the Aramaic, "Avrakehdabra" which literally means, "I will create as I speak". To cast a 'spell' with our spelling.

Edited by A'Villan

4 hours ago, BOF said:

It is moving you in some way. Just not to an extent you can distinguish. Similarly, your head is subject to slightly less gravity than your feet by virtue of being further from the earth. Just not by any easily measurable amount.

Thanks for this, food for thought. 

16 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

"Abracadabra" is from the Aramaic, "Avrakehdabra" which literally means, "I will create as I speak". To cast a 'spell' with our spelling.

According to Wiki that is a folk etymology  ie  Avrakehdabra is from the Aramaic but wiki gives  your translation from the Hebrew; we need to be a little bit circumspect about the rest.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Similarly, your head is subject to slightly less gravity than your feet by virtue of being further from the earth. Just not by any easily measurable amount.

And you head experiences time at a different rate to your feet.

Â