Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

About 3000 bites per year, roughly 500 hospitalisations, average of 1-2 deaths per year according to Google.

If you want to torture yourself, someone decided to make a Wikipedia list of all the deaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

So you can enjoy this stuff:

snake.jpg

Thanks!

I guess…

🥺

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, El Zen said:

There, I’ve said it. Goalies are lazy. It’s the only conceivable reason for choosing to play in goal. 

@Stevo985

🥷

This is not it

There are two reasons people play in goal

1. They are shit at football

2. They are psychopths. Goalies are the drummers of the football world

EDIT:

For womens football add

3. They were shit at netball too

1 minute ago, bickster said:

This is not it

I agree with both of these, actually. Fair point. 

My apologies, @GarethRDR. You’re not a lazy word removed.

You’re a crazy psycho and crap at football.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

These are also not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Thank you. 

As you were.

My pleasure. I’m a kind man, really. I live to make other people happy and feel better about themselves. 

24 minutes ago, El Zen said:

There, I’ve said it. Goalies are lazy. It’s the only conceivable reason for choosing to play in goal. 

@Stevo985

🥷

I played in goal because I was good at it and I was shit outfield.

Laziness was a symptom, not a cause :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another fun fact: more Australians die from allergic reactions to bee stings than from spider bites.

(In fact I think I remember that there's been fewer than 5 deaths from spiders since the early 80s or something).

The main danger from spiders these days in Australia is people crashing when startled by one whilst driving iirc.

• Like 1

Mentioning snakes, I always remember watching a documentary on some Australian snake that had what could only be described as overkill venom.

The thing had venom that contained separate toxins that, iirc, caused general muscular paralysis, cardiac paralysis, pulmonary paralysis, anticoagulation, procoagulation, muscular wasting, and a few other things. So the thing was hedging it's bets to make sure you die - first you go paralytic, then your lungs stop working, them if that doesn't kill you it attacks your heart, then if that doesn't work it turns your blood into jelly throughout your body, and if that doesn't kill you it also causes the blood that isn't jelly to pour out of your veins, causing internal bleeding particularly in the brain, and if that doesn't kill you your muscles start to break down which in turn **** your kidneys which cascades to multiple organ failure, and if that, by some miracle, doesn't kill you the combined effects of all of that will leave you so **** you'll wish it did.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Mentioning snakes, I always remember watching a documentary on some Australian snake that had what could only be described as overkill venom.

The thing had venom that contained separate toxins that, iirc, caused general muscular paralysis, cardiac paralysis, pulmonary paralysis, anticoagulation, procoagulation, muscular wasting, and a few other things. So the thing was hedging it's bets to make sure you die - first you go paralytic, then your lungs stop working, them if that doesn't kill you it attacks your heart, then if that doesn't work it turns your blood into jelly throughout your body, and if that doesn't kill you it also causes the blood that isn't jelly to pour out of your veins, causing internal bleeding particularly in the brain, and if that doesn't kill you your muscles start to break down which in turn **** your kidneys which cascades to multiple organ failure, and if that, by some miracle, doesn't kill you the combined effects of all of that will leave you so **** you'll wish it did.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fedbb4c585f46a0cef2c3813011ef90.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Unless you're a honey badger, in which case you have a short nap, get up, laugh in its face, and rip it to shreds. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Even worse for me as I think I'm allergic to snakes, based on getting ill after stroking one at a zoo once.

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

My Sister ate one when she was five, the image of her with the legs sticking out of her mouth has stuck with me ever since 

Never eaten a spider but did once chew a ladybird which had sneaked into my chips as a kid. Totally freaked me out and tasted like absolute shit. 

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

But other than that, is it really that dangerous? 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Never eaten a spider but did once chew a ladybird which had sneaked into my chips as a kid. Totally freaked me out and tasted like absolute shit. 

Just needed gravy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

At uni I briefly was seeing a girl that had eaten tarantula while traveling in the far East. Apparently does taste like chicken.

We were offered it in Cambodia when we were bussing it across the country (I say bus, it was an air conditioned coach). 

I declined. I did eat various deep friend insects and an unspecified meat kebab from a Thai food cart earlier in the trip. I later thought the kebab may be canine in origin.

Edited by Xela

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another fun fact: more Australians die from allergic reactions to bee stings than from spider bites.

(In fact I think I remember that there's been fewer than 5 deaths from spiders since the early 80s or something).

Another fun fact when spiders in Australia are looking for takeout they don’t use  just eat because just eat is called menulog there

*Had no more spider/Australian facts but felt left out 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

Â