Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I wouldent want to eat one of those, specially a second hand one.

If I’m downing half a k of coke in the airport toilets I can’t stomach the taste of straight silicone and lube so I need something nicer or I gag.

I’m sure they used to do tikka masala but I can’t find them anywhere now.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If “laterals” are allowed in American football, why don’t we see rugby tactics used more regularly?

You have posted, so I feel compelled to answer.  It's because it's too high risk. Big difference between rugby and American football is that possession turnover in American football is a comparitively huge deal, whereas in rugby they're exchanging possession quite frequently. So holding onto the ball is much more high priority in NFL and therefore laterals are usually only out of desperation, or if someone is feeling cheeky.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

You have posted, so I feel compelled to answer.  It's because it's too high risk. Big difference between rugby and American football is that possession turnover in American football is a comparitively huge deal, whereas in rugby they're exchanging possession quite frequently. So holding onto the ball is much more high priority in NFL and therefore laterals are usually only out of desperation, or if someone is feeling cheeky.

Yeah that makes sense.

And it's not something I'd expeect to happen all the time.

But I often think if you set up a play to make an offload available before a tackle it would be really effective. But that's from someone who is only casually acquainted with the sport

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that makes sense.

And it's not something I'd expeect to happen all the time.

But I often think if you set up a play to make an offload available before a tackle it would be really effective. But that's from someone who is only casually acquainted with the sport

Another factor is the sheer speed and athleticism in the NFL is on a different level to rugby. So the scope for error is bigger as the ball is moving faster and the opponent is lightning quick. So a double whammy really. A bigger deal if it happens, and more likely to happen if it's tried.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Another factor is the sheer speed and athleticism in the NFL is on a different level to rugby. So the scope for error is bigger as the ball is moving faster and the opponent is lightning quick. So a double whammy really. A bigger deal if it happens, and more likely to happen if it's tried.

nope, they're all fat

there's a lot of things to it, mostly down to each play being pre designed, laterals usually indicate broken plays in desperation, possession is king

I personally don't think the technique is there, there's loads of plays and trick plays where they will offload it short, you look at QBs where they'll dump it off on a screen, flea flickers, tosses, shovel passes, in all the manner of how they throw or release the ball they don't do it in the same way that a rugby player can and achieve the same spiral and speed on the ball

one of the most famous of all time, the miami miracle, if that's in the first quarter the WR takes the tackle and picks up the first down but look at the 2 shovel passes, they're 5 yard floaty drop offs to a guy in motion already, its not like rugby where they hold the line and then can spray it about and then accelerate 

it is maybe surprisingly 2 really different skill sets 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

A rugby player would struggle to handle the NFL environment, but an NFL player would look awesome at rugby for two or three minutes and then be dead on their feet. They are trained for the short sharp play, but cannot handle prolonged activity. Rugby union has very little in common with NFL, which is actually based on Rugby League.

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nope, they're all fat

there's a lot of things to it, mostly down to each play being pre designed, laterals usually indicate broken plays in desperation, possession is king

I personally don't think the technique is there, there's loads of plays and trick plays where they will offload it short, you look at QBs where they'll dump it off on a screen, flea flickers, tosses, shovel passes, in all the manner of how they throw or release the ball they don't do it in the same way that a rugby player can and achieve the same spiral and speed on the ball

one of the most famous of all time, the miami miracle, if that's in the first quarter the WR takes the tackle and picks up the first down but look at the 2 shovel passes, they're 5 yard floaty drop offs to a guy in motion already, its not like rugby where they hold the line and then can spray it about and then accelerate 

it is maybe surprisingly 2 really different skill sets 

Yeah what I was getting at was if you could work out a play where a receiver was supported by 2 or 3 other players so that when he received the ball he'd have people who could form a line, similar to rugby, and then the rugby style play becomes less risky.

I've probably just made that sound way easier than it would be in reality 

(PS this isn't coming from somewhere like "oh rugby is much better, NFL is shit" at all. I like NFL, it's just always something that I wonder (hence the thread title))

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is it me or does there seem to have been a big drop off in Islamic terrorism in the west?  Is it a coincidence that it's happened just as the Saudis have decided to spend a fortune on western footballers?

It does seem that way.

Maybe if we ever have a huge problem with them in the future, we could catapult footballers into the Burj Khalifa.

On 10/09/2023 at 18:22, Stevo985 said:

If “laterals” are allowed in American football, why don’t we see rugby tactics used more regularly?

Further to all the other answers.  

Rugby has an offside rule which prevents defenders being forward of the ball.  That rule does not exist in NFL once the play begins, 

Defenders in the NFL can "mark/cover" players likely to be receiving the ball wherever they are on the pitch.  The offside rule in rugby prevents that very close marking. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Rugby has an offside rule which prevents defenders being forward of the ball.  That rule does not exist in NFL once the play begins, 

Defenders in the NFL can "mark/cover" players likely to be receiving the ball wherever they are on the pitch.  The offside rule in rugby prevents that very close marking. 

Ah thank you for filling in a rugby knowledge gap for me :thumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Yeah that makes sense. Again I wasn’t suggesting it was something that would happen all the time. Because as you say it just wouldn’t work. 

But as a trick play of sorts I could have seen it being used 

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that makes sense. Again I wasn’t suggesting it was something that would happen all the time. Because as you say it just wouldn’t work. 

But,would they use it ?

I watched SF play Falcons ( I think ) and the SF player passed the ball,as in Rugby but the recieving player had a player inside him ( after running 15/20 yards or so ) and he "did not " pass ( it would have been an easy touchdown ) instead he ran another yard and got tackled. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As an ad-hoc desperation play or a trick play it's fine. 

The rugby ball holder does not have to worry about an opposing player standing between them and the ball receiver.  That player is offside by definition.  In the NFL it's a standard tactic to place players there.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How often do you hoover ? I’ve got pretty bad ocd for wanting to hoover up . It clears my head and makes me feel better once I’ve hoovered .

Probably once a week, if the bastard grandchild or bloody dog decide to cause carnage I will do a spot hoover. 

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Probably once a week, if the bastard grandchild or bloody dog decide to cause carnage I will do a spot hoover. 

I have to fight with myself not to hoover once a day most of the time . The day after I’ve hoovered and mopped which I do once or twice a week  the following day I’m ok but yeah I like hoovering . My wife banned me a few weeks back because I get all irate and worked up when I’m hoovering and I’m a bit snappy once I’ve finished. Two dogs ,cat,  three kids plus me and wife is my excuse to hoover everyday.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I have to fight with myself not to hoover once a day most of the time . The day after I’ve hoovered and mopped which I do once or twice a week  the following day I’m ok but yeah I like hoovering . My wife banned me a few weeks back because I get all irate and worked up when I’m hoovering and I’m a bit snappy once I’ve finished. Two dogs ,cat,  three kids plus me and wife is my excuse to hoover everyday.

I used to have a collie cross so hoovered daily but now my dog doesn't really shed so on the whole, no need. 

Â