Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 02/02/2023 at 13:43, PussEKatt said:

How can teams like Leicester and Wet spam be at the top one season and fighting relegation a couple of seasons later ?

Because sometimes, very rarely these days, the fundamentals of league football still works

• Like 3

Do artists release new material when they are older i.e Shania Twain just released a new album, because there bank balance is running a bit low, or is it genuinely for the love of music and what they do. It's to idealistic to think it's to please there fans one last time, like Shania claims.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 12:43, PussEKatt said:

How can teams like Leicester and Wet spam be at the top one season and fighting relegation a couple of seasons later ?

Very competitive league, fine margins. Momentum of wins/losses. Psychology. 

Take your pick. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Do artists release new material when they are older i.e Shania Twain just released a new album, because there bank balance is running a bit low, or is it genuinely for the love of music and what they do. It's to idealistic to think it's to please there fans one last time, like Shania claims.

My guess is that they want to top up the bank balance,one last time before people stop buying their stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think there is a mix of creative people wanting to get something out there, a cash grab and potentially public need. Shania Twain‘s album after listening to it is probably a mix of all 3. She still is quite a draw live and that where her money comes from. 
You have someone like Johnny Cash who some say put out some of his strongest material at the end of his career at a point where the label, his previous label had turned its back on him. I would argue that the American albums, initially were a cash grab but equally an outlet for his creativity. 
Tom T Hall had pretty much retired, had penned some fairly big songs so in the last 24 years of his life he released one album and that was a labour of love. I think those respected country singers that are older so slow down, they don’t have the need to put out sub par material, versus those that perhaps have lost respect by needlessly releasing horse shit like Giddy up. 

Maybe a 4th factor in the states - the taxman

You see it all the time in the acting world, they need a quick book balancer

Also what some of them do is thrash out an album or release a live album or greatest hits to try and get out of a record deal by fulfilling an obligation, I'm sure one of the oasis albums was for that reason, maybe stop the clocks and then that's why time flies followed it afterwards, it was to get out of the contract

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

For Shania Twain there is a 5th reason.

She got lyme disease at the height of her career and couldn't sing for a long time. Even now she doesn't have the power she used to have. I suspect she feels she has unfinished business.

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Bit crazy that, it'll be like going round Cadbury's world and them asking for a galaxy chocolate bar. 😆

Except that Guinness make lager. Cadburys don't make Galaxy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just how much was Captain Edward Smith (of Titanic fame) an influence on the design of Captain Birdseye.

I’ve never been able to shake the suspicion that Smith was in the minds of the marketing team but whenever I look into the matter I struggle to find any acknowledgment from Birds Eye. Or any commentary anywhere about the similarities between the two.

• Like 3

Â