Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I see. I thought it was some foodie pseudery. 

I wouldn't know, I never touch the vile things. 

Yep not a fan of the slimey green shite myself, even chilli powder bunged in it to make Guacamole can't disguise the texture

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yep not a fan of the slimey green shite myself, even chilli powder bunged in it to make Guacamole can't disguise the texture

The texture can be anything from hard and stiff (Kenny) - too hard to smash - to soft and mushy - it just depends on how ripe they are. When they're perfect the texture is excellent. I mean it's like banana people like them at different stages of ripeness, I guess.

I love an Avo on toast, poached egg on top, sprinkling of chilli flakes, or black pepper or even lime juice.

4 hours ago, bielesibub said:

Why I even bother reading some of the VT on-topic threads? Good grief! the inmates are running the asylum!

I can't go in there anymore. Mentally drains me more than my job! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I see. I thought it was some foodie pseudery. 

I wouldn't know, I never touch the vile things. 

Curious if they're smashed purely because they are smashed up just on their own and mashed potatoes involve milk and butter? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

If that's all you add to make guacamole it's no wonder you don't like it.  You must not have tried the real stuff.  I don't like plain avocado, either,  but I love me some guac.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

If that's all you add to make guacamole it's no wonder you don't like it.  You must not have tried the real stuff.  I don't like plain avocado, either,  but I love me some guac.

Yeah @mjmooney and I have touched this subject before. Go to Mexico or even New Mexico in the US and avocados are one of the most buttery delicious almost bacon flavored succulent textured perfect little joy balls you can get in your mouth (KW plz.)
Also mash them up with garlic a little onion and diced tomato into guac and once again they transformed into a side dish/dip/sauce/flavoring as ubiquitous as ketchup and curry sauce in England.

Sadly, all they get in England are evil, flavorless little cannon balls of doom. So until Mike comes and stays over in the West of the US he isn't going to change his mind :( 

But at least now he has 2 places near great fruit and veg he can crash!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

It wouldn't matter what you added to it tbh, I just don't like it, it's not even the taste of it, it's the texture. but there's also something in it that makes me think of eating soap. Me not likey

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Agreed, avocados need at least a generous amount of salt to be tasty.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yeah @mjmooney and I have touched this subject before. Go to Mexico or even New Mexico in the US and avocados are one of the most buttery delicious almost bacon flavored succulent textured perfect little joy balls you can get in your mouth (KW plz.)
Also mash them up with garlic a little onion and diced tomato into guac and once again they transformed into a side dish/dip/sauce/flavoring as ubiquitous as ketchup and curry sauce in England.

Sadly, all they get in England are evil, flavorless little cannon balls of doom. So until Mike comes and stays over in the West of the US he isn't going to change his mind :( 

But at least now he has 2 places near great fruit and veg he can crash!

No garlic. Mashed with olive oil, salt, lime juice, and coriander. Fold in diced red onion and cherry tomatoes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No garlic. Mashed with olive oil, salt, lime juice, and coriander. Fold in diced red onion and cherry tomatoes.

GTFO! 

(The rest is bang on. Maybe a bit of chili.) 

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No garlic. Mashed with olive oil, salt, lime juice, and coriander 

Didn't think you could make that shite any worse, but you just did. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, El Zen said:

GTFO! 

(The rest is bang on. Maybe a bit of chili.) 

How To Make Authentic Guacamole

Turns out, authentic guacamole doesn't have garlic.

Although this maniac uses lemon even though he concedes that lime is more traditional. When I was in Mexico I never even saw a lemon and the Spanish word for it meant lime there.

Edited by fightoffyour

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How To Make Authentic Guacamole

Although this maniac uses lemon even though he concedes that lime is more traditional. When I was in Mexico I never even saw a lemon and the Spanish word for it meant lime there.

If garlic is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

And then I assume smothered in ketchup just in case the smallest avocado flavour leaches through. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brommy said:

At least you can blame your dislike of coriander on your DNA!

I'm really glad I landed on the right side of that line, but I can completely understand why people don't like it. It's very strong. The weird thing is coriander seed is completely different and from a culinary/cooking POV, entirely unrelated.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And then I assume smothered in ketchup just in case the smallest avocado flavour leaches through. 

Not sure how anyone could not like Avocado flavour. It's not particularly strong or amazing, but there's absolutely nothing offensive about it.

Â