Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What is the battle of the Boyne? And why does it seem to be every other Monday?

When King Billy defeated Catholic King James II therefore laying the foundation for a protestant ruling church in England and other home countries from then on.....or something like that. 

Orange orders do their most fervent marching, flute blowing and drum banging up and down wherever they are on 12th...along with loads of bonfires the night before. 

A lot of my family near the border or just over it tend to keep a low profile around about now.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

James II (and VII of Scotland) was deposed by his Daughter, Mary II and her husband William III (William and Mary were also cousins) AKA William of Orange because he was the sovereign prince of Orange too.

There was a battle across the River Boyne at Drogheda between the two sides. Williams side won. James was a Catholic, William was a Protestant. This virtually killed James chances of retaking the throne yadda yadda yadda and lead to the Catholic / Protestant situation in Northern Ireland that persists to this day.

There's more to it than that but thats the simple version.

As I arrived at work today the throbbers in the club next door had been out and stuck their wanky flags on all the lamposts at the weekend. They'll be marching around tomorrow then going up to Southport to get absolutely pissed, Words removed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Well I'd imagine you'd rack up loads on a visit to VP.   I wonder how many VTers sit near me (L2).

I am L3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

One group of people with an imaginary friend who lives in the sky had a disagreement with another group of people with an imaginary friend who lives in the sky.  

Both sides believed that their imaginary friend favoured them because they worshipped him in the correct way.  They both ignored all the things their imaginary friend had said about not killing, tolerance and forgiveness and tried to kill the other.  

Or was that the Crusades? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Both sides believed that their imaginary friend favoured them because they worshipped him in the correct way.  They both ignored all the things their imaginary friend had said about not killing, tolerance and forgiveness and tried to kill the other.  

I'm not sure that either imaginary friend was in a position to talk about any of those things.

42 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

One group of people with an imaginary friend who lives in the sky had a disagreement with another group of people with an imaginary friend who lives in the sky.  

Or was that the Crusades? 

That’s about as believable as Armstrong put down his trumpet to walk on the moon.

Well the 12th July is here. I will have to endure the whoppers next door to work marching around banging their drums and playing their flutes this morning

There were a small number of flying ants around yesterday, please let today be flying ant day

So I wonder if flying ant day can be predicted?

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How Very environmentally friendly.

That too. However, I think that the biggest issue with them is the decoration with posters of republican politicians, banners belittling massacres/murder that occured during the troubles. Not to mention the health and safety implications (a guy fell from one on Monday and died, last year one collapsed on a fella I think, I saw a video of a human fireball running away from one 2 years ago I think) and then there's the over stretching of the fire services.

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

(a guy fell from one on Monday and died, last year one collapsed on a fella I think, I saw a video of a human fireball running away from one 2 years ago I think)

EQWtPFgXsAA056I?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bickster said:
22 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

(a guy fell from one on Monday and died)

EQWtPFgXsAA056I?format=jpg&name=small

I heard him being referred to as Prod Hull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/07/2022 at 07:55, bickster said:

Well the 12th July is here. I will have to endure the whoppers next door to work marching around banging their drums and playing their flutes this morning.

I was «lucky» enough to be in Belfast on a 12th of July once, maybe 15 years ago now, and witness one of those marches. It was gloriously pathetic. I made a discrete obscene hand gesture in their general direction and walked away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â