Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

we have two possibles pencilled in for next year:

rent a place with a pool on Gozo, or hotels around Northumberland

it's all good and you're very lucky if you can have any sort of holiday

we have two possibles pencilled in for next year:

rent a place with a pool on Gozo, or hotels around Northumberland

it's all good and you're very lucky if you can have any sort of holiday

Exactly. Both of those are good options, in different ways.

I went down to Devon 2 weekends ago and loved playing sports on the beach. Got the same tan I'd get anywhere else.

Sometimes a holiday isn't about location. It can be about just going somewhere else.

isn't there a touch of irony that a poster that moans about the amount of foreign aid we give , would rather spend his money on foreign shores though

or is it just me .....

I did post this, but swiftly removed it to be safe :D

• Like 1

I know I couldn't go on holidays and do nothing. Which kind of means I can't go away to relax. I go away to experience. My attitude is very much that I can quite easily and cheaply 'do nothing' on my arse at home. Why the hell would I waste a foreign country by vegetating in it? Nah, it's not me.

Exactly this.

I don't feel as though I am on holiday unless i'm outside of the UK. That's what i want to get away ideally. I can't seem to relax properly and unwind unless i'm in a different country.

In terms of 'doing nothing' on holidays, I was never a fan of the beach/pool holidays.. but now, I love them! A week doing **** all in Sharm is one of the best ways to spend a week. 40 degrees, lying by the pool, sipping beer and cooling off by rolling into the pool every now and again! Perfect. Never drink to excess on these breaks, but enough to completely relax.

That being said, I couldn't spend all my holidays doing that (try to get away 3 - 4 times a year) as I do like to explore cities etc and even do a bit of trekking/walking as well. Its all about variation. 

I know I couldn't go on holidays and do nothing. Which kind of means I can't go away to relax. I go away to experience. My attitude is very much that I can quite easily and cheaply 'do nothing' on my arse at home. Why the hell would I waste a foreign country by vegetating in it? Nah, it's not me.

Exactly this.

I am starting to feel a bit like this in every day life too.  I feel like I'm wasting my life if I'm just sitting there needlessly scanning channels.  I feel as though I ought to be on a constant quest for knowledge or at least filling my head with something meaningful.

Question for the oldies... Does life get easier as you get older??

Like I'm only 26 so only been working properly for 5 years with a few months travelling Europe then Asia in between.

Those 5 years I've been working seem like 30 years. So I still got 30 years of work left and more. I work in an office which makes the work days seem even longer.

I believe the 'work to live' thing but as time goes on it feels more like we 'live to work'. Get up, go to work, go home, go bed, repeat. hope it gets easier but I just can't see it when I have wife, kids, mortgage all adding to the sense of entrapment. (quite like idea of wife and kids but means stuck in 9-5).

This is no emo post by the way. I'm happy with my lot such as long term girlfriend, good friends, healthy family. Just the whole working for the next 30 years plus thing is starting to scare the shit out g me.

Edited by donnie
  • Like 1

yeah, it's a lot easier once you've got a few people depending on you not to fark it up and lose their home

But never mind the house, earn sufficient money to fund a family mobile phone plan and two cars and shoes for school and organise yourself on a Sunday so that there is food for kids on a Monday and clean pants for everyone but don't forget to keep cheerful and have outside interests that stop you being a dull work drone and don't forget to fix the shower and saturday is teach yourself wiring because even if you find a sparky to fix the dodgy light in the hall he will want £40 just to come and look at it - next Thursday.

It's all about mindset, I know plenty that couldn't hack it, personally I love the rewards more than I fear the risks and chores.

Not sure if I'm an oldie like BOF and Bickster, but here goes...(and just joking, I have no idea how old those two are)

Career-wise things definitely do get easier if you stick to something you're good at. With experience you can be more assertive and more confident generally at work, which makes it more fun, or at least less of a pain in the arse.

Mortgages, etc. do add a bit of a sense of entrapment. And women tend to have little sense of humour about bills getting paid once kids come along.

But on the other hand, having a mortgage that's paid off will be pretty liberating: It's something that nobody can really take away from you. As far as kids go, I don't know anyone who regrets having them, but seeing how they most certainly do tie you down, I think the best is to delay them as long as possible until you're with a woman who's absolutely worth giving up your freedom for.

That'll be two cents, please... :)

I know I'm arriving late to the travel discussion, but one of my favourite holidays was when me and my parents flew to London, rent a car and drove around in the english country side. First we drove to Salisbury and saw Stonehenge. It is is Salisbury, isn't it? Stayed at a motel there, then further on. Followed some of the footsteps of the mythical king Arthur. Visited the monestary where he's meant to be buried with that chapel/tower high up on a hill. Another hill which by the locals is said to be Badon Hill. Then crossed a bridge to get to Wales where we visited an old castle almost at the foot of the bridge. After that we went to Brum and stayed at a motel outside the city for two nights. That was my first visit to VP, though it was during the summer so no games. But I got to buy my second Villa kit. :) And before that we'd stayed at real countryside B&B. Then back to London to visit that city for one day too, and then back home.

When I lived in Hull I visited York two times and it is a lovely city.

I still hope to come to Scotland one day to see the Highlands. The problem is that my missus is afraid of flying which makes it harder to do.

So all in all, I can sure understand why someone would take a holiday in England and GB. There's plenty to see and do.

But I also like to have a holiday in the sun, preferrably Greece. And this summer I visited Poland, which was nice too.

I've always fancied the road trip holidays to really see the countries you visit. I hope to be able to do that in the US someday.

I know I'm arriving late to the travel discussion, but one of my favourite holidays was when me and my parents flew to London, rent a car and drove around in the english country side. First we drove to Salisbury and saw Stonehenge. It is is Salisbury, isn't it? Stayed at a motel there, then further on. Followed some of the footsteps of the mythical king Arthur. Visited the monestary where he's meant to be buried with that chapel/tower high up on a hill. Another hill which by the locals is said to be Badon Hill. Then crossed a bridge to get to Wales where we visited an old castle almost at the foot of the bridge. After that we went to Brum and stayed at a motel outside the city for two nights. That was my first visit to VP, though it was during the summer so no games. But I got to buy my second Villa kit. :) And before that we'd stayed at real countryside B&B. Then back to London to visit that city for one day too, and then back home.

When I lived in Hull I visited York two times and it is a lovely city.

I still hope to come to Scotland one day to see the Highlands. The problem is that my missus is afraid of flying which makes it harder to do.

So all in all, I can sure understand why someone would take a holiday in England and GB. There's plenty to see and do.

But I also like to have a holiday in the sun, preferrably Greece. And this summer I visited Poland, which was nice too.

I've always fancied the road trip holidays to really see the countries you visit. I hope to be able to do that in the US someday.

Out of interest was it a mostly tumbled down castle in the heart of a nice town? (Chepstow, Where I live)

Or a reasonably well preserved castle in a park area? (Horrible Caldicot)

Edited by Shillzz

Â