Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Laursen even want to go into coaching?

Kevin MacDonald would be ideal no.2 imo but he doesnt want to do it - the fool

On what are you basing this ? Kevin MacDonald was a fish out of water with the first team (apart form the fact they liked having him around), and has no relationship whatsoever with Ancelotti, and i guess does not speak Italian.

I think the Op was declaring Laursen as an option for No. 2 as he has a relationship with Villa and Ancelotti, which kind of makes sense to me.

My reasons for not wanting him are simple - I think he wasted a hell of a lot of money on some shoddy players and I don't like the way his teams play. I can't say I have much time for Liverpool, but the way he had them set up was a disgrace to their traditions. I didn't like watching our direct counter attacking under MON and fear it would be a return to that under Rafa. And God help us if he introduced zonal marking - like we don't leak enough goals already.

You're right. Your reasons for not wanting him are simple - too simple in fact.

This ended up being Rafa's audition for the Liverpool job:

Do you not like the way his Valencia played?

As for the way Liverpool played, remember he had to build a squad to compete with Man U and Chelsea without ever having their budget. He spent something like £15m a year net. That mean't he had to make compromises. So he built a team to compete first, entertain second (a bit like MON, right?). But it was never counter-attacking football. It was based on controlling the game by dominating possession.

As for zonal marking, don't listen to Andy Gray - it is proven to work. The problem is, when it doesn't work, it means somebody has a free header and a soft goal is conceded. But goals are conceded from man-to-man marking too. The difference is, rent-a-quote pundits don't spoon-feed those to us.

Pal we don't want your **** cast offs

if he was that good why did you sack him

I presume the forum would prefer you spoke for yourself and not on their behalf.

I could answer your question but there's no point, is there? You don't want to hear it.

My reasons for not wanting him are simple - I think he wasted a hell of a lot of money on some shoddy players and I don't like the way his teams play. I can't say I have much time for Liverpool, but the way he had them set up was a disgrace to their traditions. I didn't like watching our direct counter attacking under MON and fear it would be a return to that under Rafa. And God help us if he introduced zonal marking - like we don't leak enough goals already.

You're right. Your reasons for not wanting him are simple - too simple in fact.

This ended up being Rafa's audition for the Liverpool job:

Do you not like the way his Valencia played?

As for the way Liverpool played, remember he had to build a squad to compete with Man U and Chelsea without ever having their budget. He spent something like £15m a year net. That mean't he had to make compromises. So he built a team to compete first, entertain second (a bit like MON, right?). But it was never counter-attacking football. It was based on controlling the game by dominating possession.

As for zonal marking, don't listen to Andy Gray - it is proven to work. The problem is, when it doesn't work, it means somebody has a free header and a soft goal is conceded. But goals are conceded from man-to-man marking too. The difference is, rent-a-quote pundits don't spoon-feed those to us.

I presume the forum would prefer you spoke for yourself and not on their behalf.

I could answer your question but there's no point, is there? You don't want to hear it.

You presume right Redman. Smetrov turn it in, there's no need to talk like that to people, especially when they are offering reasonable argument.

I think Rafa could be a decent alternative to Ancelotti. Great career win % and doesn't lose too many games either! Liverpool had a great defensive record under him, so this talk of his zonal marking not working is a little wide of the mark IMO.

But Rafa didn't compete really did he? I mean he was up there in a few seasons but he took a side which won the champions league and took it to 5th in 5 years. And in that time he added a world class striker to the side. liverpool fans bleat on about the board but they don't manage what happens on the pitch. That squad should have easily been able to get champions league. So if he can't get champions league with a side like that how's he going to get it with our's? And then you add into that the fiasco at Inter. He took another champions league winning side and took them to 6th in a sub-standard serie A.

I would guess the number at the top of the page indicates he expresses the opinion of most of the forum contributors, that number saying rafacts -2%.

How much could someone bet on a manager, based on some inside info, without getting in trouble?

I got Rafa at 18-1 earlier in the week, so tell me it's him and make me very happy........

Sorry, was watching the match...didn't mean to be a tease. David Moyes.

I got 19-1 on BetFair which is pretty good I think.

How much could someone bet on a manager, based on some inside info, without getting in trouble?

I got Rafa at 18-1 earlier in the week, so tell me it's him and make me very happy........

Is this THE insider or a different one?

I don't really want Rafa but I would be behind him 100% if he were appointed. My fear is that he wont have the backing of a lot of fans from the beginning primarily because he managed Liverpool recently, which is a pretty silly reason if you ask me.
My fear would be that people would back 100% an appointment that was wrong and failing and defend it at every point they could regardless of evindece contrary to their spoutings.

Most managers have the majority of the supporters backing them when they get appointed. It tends to be events that are within their (the manager) control that turns fans against them.

Well whether an appointment (whoever that may be) is "wrong" is purely opinion. If Rafa does become our manager then we all have two choices: we can either moan about him being appointed when there's nothing we can do about it or get behind the new manager and the team at the beginning of the season.

In the last 4 hours there has been £104 placed on Moyles on betfair so i don't think any alarms will be going off there just yet!

Is this THE insider or a different one?

This source does not have a beard :)

In the last 4 hours there has been £104 placed on Moyles on betfair so i don't think any alarms will be going off there just yet!

25 of which are mine heheeeeeeeee.

But Rafa didn't compete really did he? I mean he was up there in a few seasons but he took a side which won the champions league and took it to 5th in 5 years. And in that time he added a world class striker to the side. liverpool fans bleat on about the board but they don't manage what happens on the pitch. That squad should have easily been able to get champions league. So if he can't get champions league with a side like that how's he going to get it with our's? And then you add into that the fiasco at Inter. He took another champions league winning side and took them to 6th in a sub-standard serie A.

Of course the board manage what happens on the pitch.

When your manager and top players sign contracts on the proviso that they'll soon be joined by more world class players, how can they be expected to stay motivated when it transpires they were lied to?

There reached a point when Liverpool stopped being run by football people and started being run by financiers with the remit to reduce debt whilst making the club as attractive as possible to potential investors/buyers. For the whole of 2010, nobody was interested in what was happening on the pitch. The bank wanted their money back, the owners wanted their profit, the supporters wanted the owners gone and the players wanted to leave.

And in the middle of it all was Rafa.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he made mistakes at Liverpool. But there is a mountain of mitigation.

When your manager and top players sign contracts on the proviso that they'll soon be joined by more world class players, how can they be expected to stay motivated when it transpires they were lied to?

There reached a point when Liverpool stopped being run by football people and started being run by financiers with the remit to reduce debt whilst making the club as attractive as possible to potential investors/buyers. For the whole of 2010, nobody was interested in what was happening on the pitch. The bank wanted their money back, the owners wanted their profit, the supporters wanted the owners gone and the players wanted to leave.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he made mistakes at Liverpool. But there is a mountain of mitigation.

Do you think he would have the hunger and passion to start a long term project again, or do you think the last few years has taken a lot out of him?

So you would have Rafa back?