Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How reliable is Daily Heil as a source for football?

Not very.

One of their writers Neil Moxley was adamant yesterday that Ancelotti wasn't interested....next day they print that he will join this week!!

:? I thought Ancelotti had 48 hours (sat/sun) to decide if he wants it ? :? :D

My reasons for not wanting him are simple - I think he wasted a hell of a lot of money on some shoddy players and I don't like the way his teams play. I can't say I have much time for Liverpool, but the way he had them set up was a disgrace to their traditions. I didn't like watching our direct counter attacking under MON and fear it would be a return to that under Rafa. And God help us if he introduced zonal marking - like we don't leak enough goals already.

You're right. Your reasons for not wanting him are simple - too simple in fact.

This ended up being Rafa's audition for the Liverpool job:

Do you not like the way his Valencia played?

As for the way Liverpool played, remember he had to build a squad to compete with Man U and Chelsea without ever having their budget. He spent something like £15m a year net. That mean't he had to make compromises. So he built a team to compete first, entertain second (a bit like MON, right?). But it was never counter-attacking football. It was based on controlling the game by dominating possession.

As for zonal marking, don't listen to Andy Gray - it is proven to work. The problem is, when it doesn't work, it means somebody has a free header and a soft goal is conceded. But goals are conceded from man-to-man marking too. The difference is, rent-a-quote pundits don't spoon-feed those to us.

There are 289 people who want ancellotti. How many supporters are there in this world and what percentage is 289 of that.

Does anybody really think that Randy is going to listen to 616 votes on this Forum.

It's an expression of preference. Not a diktat to Randy on who he should appoint. Maybe you are new to this internet thing, in which case probably worthwhile sitting back awhile and seeing how the big boys play before joining in.

How reliable is Daily Heil as a source for football?

Not very.

One of their writers Neil Moxley was adamant yesterday that Ancelotti wasn't interested....next day they print that he will join this week!!

no one really knows. I am always wary of one report - and this was likley printed before the odds on Rafa plunged. however after two hours of Rafa mania - I will believe the daily mail !

There are 289 people who want ancellotti. How many supporters are there in this world and what percentage is 289 of that.

Does anybody really think that Randy is going to listen to 616 votes on this Forum. I think not. So everybody chill out and wait to see who we get. A bit like waiting for your christmas presents :-) :flag:

:D Would he have 'listened' to my email ? :lol::D:lol:

Was it voice mail?

My reasons for not wanting him are simple - I think he wasted a hell of a lot of money on some shoddy players and I don't like the way his teams play. I can't say I have much time for Liverpool, but the way he had them set up was a disgrace to their traditions. I didn't like watching our direct counter attacking under MON and fear it would be a return to that under Rafa. And God help us if he introduced zonal marking - like we don't leak enough goals already.

You're right. Your reasons for not wanting him are simple - too simple in fact.

This ended up being Rafa's audition for the Liverpool job:

Do you not like the way his Valencia played?

As for the way Liverpool played, remember he had to build a squad to compete with Man U and Chelsea without ever having their budget. He spent something like £15m a year net. That mean't he had to make compromises. So he built a team to compete first, entertain second (a bit like MON, right?). But it was never counter-attacking football. It was based on controlling the game by dominating possession.

As for zonal marking, don't listen to Andy Gray - it is proven to work. The problem is, when it doesn't work, it means somebody has a free header and a soft goal is conceded. But goals are conceded from man-to-man marking too. The difference is, rent-a-quote pundits don't spoon-feed those to us.

Pal we don't want your **** cast offs

if he was that good why did you sack him

At this point, the real question isn't why the Browns fired George Kokinis.

Rather, what matters is if Browns owner Randy Lerner will follow up on his promise to hire a "strong, serious, credible" general manager.

But what happened to Kokinis shows why the Browns have to take an entirely different approach to the task.

There are two conflicting whispers about demise of Kokinis. He arrived with the contractual promise of having the final say in football decisions, being a real general manager. But he also was picked by coach Eric Mangini, who essentially was hiring his own boss. This undercut Kokinis' influence, and eventually led to his firing when they clashed over personnel decisions.

The other point of view is Kokinis was almost immediately uneasy in the job, missing the comfort zone of the Baltimore Ravens and the strong leadership of General Manager Ozzie Newsome. It wasn't long before he seemed overwhelmed by the challenges of the Browns.

I'm not sure what view is correct, both probably have some merit.

But I can say that I had several background conversations with Kokinis before the season began, and he was extremely guarded. It wasn't that he refused to say anything. Rather, he seemed unsure of what he should say. He could not articulate a vision for the team, or even explain in any depth the moves that had been made.

The bottom line is soon Mangini was acting as coach and general manager. It also was clear that Mangini was not effective in either role. Just check the results from this 1-7 season.

Those close to Mangini said he is now very open to a real general manager coming on board, that he knows the front office lacks leadership. He knows the status quo can't continue.

Despite the fact that Ernie Accorsi says he wants to stay retired, don't be surprised if the Browns try once more to convince the former Browns and Giants GM to take some type of role -- or at least help pick a new general manager.

Accorsi was consulted before the hiring of Kokinis. He had positive things to say about the former Ravens pro personnel director. But Accorsi's real choice for the job was Giants pro personnel man David Gettleman.

Mangini preferred Kokinis, who also was a friend. Lerner went with Kokinis. How often does hiring a buddy as your boss work out?

Now, Kokinis is gone. The fan backlash against the Browns has not been this severe since it was announced in 1995 that the team was moving to Baltimore. The customers have no confidence in ownership or the football operations....

From http://tinyurl.com/6jhlntr

Although 2009 and talking about American football,Randy said he would hire a "strong, serious, credible" general manager for the Browns. It begs the question that if he wanted to do that for them, he would want to do it for Villa too.

IMO this rules out Martinez and McClown due to the 'credible' bit, and also throws the 'older' and more experienced managers such as Ancelotti and Benitez into the frame.

:detect:

Does anybody really think that Randy is going to listen to 616 votes on this Forum. I think not. So everybody chill out and wait to see who we get. A bit like waiting for your christmas presents :-) :flag:

:D Would he have 'listened' to my email ? :lol::D:lol:

Was it voice mail?

:D Hopefully it was a different voicemail between Ancelotti and Sir Randolph. :D

Ancelotti and Laursen?

Good team?

Laursen?

As in MArtin Laursen?

If Kevin McDonald had any **** sense he should be no.2

Yup.

Ancelotti signed him for Milan (I believe), Laursen is young and a hero at the club, he loves the club and is passionate and also, he is a leader.