Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

It is alright saying get Ancelotti as it will show the ambition the club has but what is the point of ambition if the cash is not there to back it up. Say we wanted to be ambitious and go for CL we would need to spend more than the current 5 or 6 teams to catch up and the overtake them.

Plus it will need higher wage costs at a time when revenues are going down in some areas and wages are over 75% turnover it may a massive risk to the clubs future

well I'm sure Ancelotti wouldn't come without some commitment of funds would he. We have backed the manager haven't we, probably not to the sums you are suggesting but we have been 6th for the last seasons, and with a bad season still 9th. We have some real quality in the squad so doesn't need a massive overhaul so a few key acquisitions and some luck we could go close to fourth place......

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we're going for Ancelotti, but in the backs of our minds know he's a bit beyond us, so have Hughes pretty much ready to join..

Handful of Fulham fans I know have heard Hughes has already completely walked away from Fulham's contract.

If by "we" you mean the club, I don't think Ancelotti is beyond us at all.

I always prefer young up and coming managers, which way why i was against Houllier. I would however make an exception for Ancelotti although he's only 51. He has the ability to take this club to new level in my opinion.

Can we(well Randy Lerner) persuade him, well that remains to be seen, but we have to have a go. He wants to stay in England this is the best job available to him moment, but he also said he wants a break.

Ancelotti was earning £4 million something a year at Chelsea and at Milan was probably on something similar. We can't afford that.

Despite nice things hes said about England id be pretty certain he's waiting for a champs league side to manage again.

I can;t see us affording him or him realistically stepping down a level to risk his own reputation.

Yeah also seems like it's going to be Ancelotti, especially with Kendrick saying so. There hasn't been much he's been wrong about in the past 12 months.

Not overly excited as other people as I don't think it's a simple that because he's a top class manager he will work out well at the club. I'd happily take him though and fair play to the board it'd be a huge sign of ambition.

Looks like we're going for Ancelotti, but in the backs of our minds know he's a bit beyond us, so have Hughes pretty much ready to join..

Handful of Fulham fans I know have heard Hughes has already completely walked away from Fulham's contract.

That's how I read it as well.

Ancelotti first choice (we'd be mad not to try!) and Hughes as back up.

I'm sure Randy is willing to give transfer funds to any manager he appoints. What he clearly hates is when every other player that gets signed on huge wages doesn't get used and the club haemmorhages money. I think if Carlo wants to stay in England then we have a good chance. I have a feeling it will be Hughes though.

That's how I read it as well.

Ancelotti first choice (we'd be mad not to try!) and Hughes as back up.

Me too!

Its what Andy Grey was saying this morning, its only his opinion though, he seems to know nothing concrete.

It is alright saying get Ancelotti as it will show the ambition the club has but what is the point of ambition if the cash is not there to back it up. Say we wanted to be ambitious and go for CL we would need to spend more than the current 5 or 6 teams to catch up and the overtake them.

Plus it will need higher wage costs at a time when revenues are going down in some areas and wages are over 75% turnover it may a massive risk to the clubs future

well I'm sure Ancelotti wouldn't come without some commitment of funds would he. We have backed the manager haven't we, probably not to the sums you are suggesting but we have been 6th for the last seasons, and with a bad season still 9th. We have some real quality in the squad so doesn't need a massive overhaul so a few key acquisitions and some luck we could go close to fourth place......

But the top 6 will strengthen again. If you look at our squad we need about 7-9 players to challenge for Europe that is still £30-60 million in transfers and about 500k-1 million pound a week in wages

My family have connections with another Italian ex premier league manager, so I've asked them to try get some insider info.

Family connections..... Italian "ex-manager?"

**Checks pillow for horses head**

:shock:

If you could see past your anti-Hughes rhetoric and allow for a couple of seconds of clarity, you will find that what I prclaimed was true - £128.5m was spent in his second season. He was only there 18 months - he spent just over £100m during the summer of 2008 and the transfer window in January 2009. The remainder was spent during his second - and last - summer with club.

And, yes, I think you can give Hughes a lot of credit for getting Santa Cruz playing the best football of his career under his management. He's not matched that level of form before or since.

O'Leary, on the other hand, got next to no game time from Laursen as he was injured, playing only one Premier League match during the 2005-2006 season (O'Leary's last). Bouma was absolutely shocking under O'Leary and only started to find form halfway into O'Neill's first season at the club. But, yeah, Milner played well during his first spell here. Not sure what any of that has to do with Mark Hughes though.

are you for real? look at the dates, £128.5 million spent

IN THE FIRST SEASON OF HUGHES AT MAN CITY, NOT THE 2ND WHICH YOU KEEP WRONGLY REPEATING

just for you, because it seems blatently clear you are desperate for a meh manager such as hughes, to the point you are making things up to use as facts.

lets go through the

2ND YEAR OF TRANSFERS

hold tight, here we go, now dont forget, THIS IS YEAR 2.

Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn £17,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Gareth Barry Aston Villa £12,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Stuart Taylor Aston Villa Free 01 Jul, 2009

Carlos Tevez Man Utd Signed 14 Jul, 2009 £30 million

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal £25,000,000 19 Jul, 2009

Kolo Toure Arsenal £16,000,000 29 Jul, 2009

Sylvinho Barcelona Free 24 Aug, 2009

Joleon Lescott Everton £22,000,000 25 Aug, 2009

total £122.5 million

NOT £128.5 which is how much he spent in the FIRST year

see i can see i made a mistake by UNDER ESTIMATING what money he had spunked away, i said it was £230 million, in actual fact it is £251 million

awsome

i have already said i will support who ever we get in, until they **** it up, however blindly pretending someone is better than their previous track record suggests and then ignoring or excusing poor performances by them to make him sound better ?

really?

he is an average manager, nothing so far in his managerial career suggests other wise.

it doesnt mean he is shit it means he will be ok. why settle for ok when the conditions at our club our ripe for a top manager for once, to come in and take the reigns?

IM sure MON was on about £3 million anyway. And if it is true Ancelotti wants a challenge and wants to stay in England, im sure he realises he wont get £4 million a year.

Been chatting to a few Chelsea ST holders at work. They're very disappointed that Ancellotti was sacked - enjoyed his style of play and were, on the whole, pleased with the teams results and the second placed finish. They're big fans of Wilkins, understandably. But maybe that's because he was a bit of a Chelsea bwoy. That CFC job's a poison chalice. No-one's good enough for RA. FWIW, they also fancy Hughes as their next manager.

I'm warming to the idea of MH. Fulham fans definitely want keep him. He's obviously done something right there with a fairly average squad. Top choice would be CA with RW (for his squad handling) for the glamour and style of play. They might just convince SD to stay... and maybe even Webcam.