dudevillaisnice

He's played a lot of games for us already, he's a cracking prospect, with a great attitude and his head screwed on. He has all the attributes needed to be a top, top player. It's upto him how he progresses now but I truly believe he will kick on to become superb and in my opinion, an England regular, maybe even captain, as he was through the junior England ranks.

With the blue specs on AG how was baines tonight? And rodwell will be a star in cm, still not seen him play cb though which is where I originally thought he was a top prospect

Not a good game by a million miles but in the first half Gerrard gave him barely any support, he was often left exposed and they exploited it with 2 on 1. When Milner was moved over, he looked better as Milner worked back.

He was poor by his standards but as Moyes says, he needs confidence put into him as he has such low confidence in his own abilities. A huge part of his game is getting forward and crosses in and he's had little opportunity to for whatever reason. He was pretty nervous and it showed. Still don't think he was much worse than most of the other players to be perfectly honest. Didn't think anyone was very good actually. Totally unimpressed with England.

Mind you, he is such an easy and obvious target so I'm honestly not surprised with the stick he has taken.

Warnock had his chance and bottled it, along with poor club form for the last quarter of the season.

Baines deserves to be on the plane to SA as backup. Both him and Warnock have proven though that Ashley Cole is one of the few untouchable players in our starting 11.

Warnock had his chance and bottled it, along with poor club form for the last quarter of the season.

When? Eight minutes in 2008? Didn't see the game tonight but I assume he didn't come on? Though I agree his form has been poor and probably shouldn't be on the plane.

With the blue specs on AG how was baines tonight? And rodwell will be a star in cm, still not seen him play cb though which is where I originally thought he was a top prospect

Not a good game by a million miles but in the first half Gerrard gave him barely any support, he was often left exposed and they exploited it with 2 on 1. When Milner was moved over, he looked better as Milner worked back.

He was poor by his standards but as Moyes says, he needs confidence put into him as he has such low confidence in his own abilities. A huge part of his game is getting forward and crosses in and he's had little opportunity to for whatever reason. He was pretty nervous and it showed. Still don't think he was much worse than most of the other players to be perfectly honest. Didn't think anyone was very good actually. Totally unimpressed with England.

Mind you, he is such an easy and obvious target so I'm honestly not surprised with the stick he has taken.

I agree, he didn't have the best of games, but neither did a lot of more experienced players. Hopefully he learned from the experience though and will improve if called upon in SA (Warnock's non appearance suggests he won't make it in the plane)

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how much Rooney was sold for and what they subsequently did with the money? (which players they bought?)

AG may be the best to answer this. But I'm just intrigued to see what they could afford when given a huge amount of cash - like we will possibly get for Milner.

Rooney was signed for £25.6m, the next signings they made were..

James Beattie - £6m

Simon Davies - £3.5m

Per Kroldrup - £5m

Mikel Arteta - £2m

Phil Neville - £3.5m

Nuno Valente - £1.5m

Andy van der Meyde - £2m

Andy Johnson - £8.6m

Joleon Lescott - £5m

That toals £37.1m, so it's not all Rooney money, but they did sell Radzinski and Gravesen around the same time they sold Rooney.

Arteta and Neville were good signings.

Johnson and Lescott they made a bit of money on.

The rest were quite poor.

Arteta for 2m was obviously a cracking piece of business.. but there are some piss poor signings there. Perhaps a warning there that when teams know you have money, prices inflate. Johnson for 8.6m? Beattie for 6m? I know Lescott turned out to be very profitable for them, but at the time of signing him you have to say 5m was quite alot.

James Beattie - £6m

Simon Davies - £3.5m

Per Kroldrup - £5m

Mikel Arteta - £2m

Phil Neville - £3.5m

Nuno Valente - £1.5m

Andy van der Meyde - £2m

Andy Johnson - £8.6m

Joleon Lescott - £5m

That toals £37.1m, so it's not all Rooney money, but they did sell Radzinski and Gravesen around the same time they sold Rooney.

Looking at that list makes me chuckle inside. MON gets alot of criticism for his signings on VT. Moyes signed some gash there and some very good players too. It goes to show, they don't all work out.

Arteta for £2m has got to be one of the best signings I've ever seen. Brilliant player. I can't believe he's never won a senior cap for his country. Goes to show the strength of Spain's midfielders, I suppose. Capello ought to be begging him to switch his allegiance to England.

Kroldrup is probably even worse than Balaban. Both cost similar amounts but Krodlrups only appearance was in a 4-0 loss (to us, actually) which doesn't really look good when you're a defender. At least we won games Bosko appeared in. :lol:

James Beattie - £6m

Simon Davies - £3.5m

Per Kroldrup - £5m

Mikel Arteta - £2m

Phil Neville - £3.5m

Nuno Valente - £1.5m

Andy van der Meyde - £2m

Andy Johnson - £8.6m

Joleon Lescott - £5m

That was Moyes worst period for signings, yes. But, Kroldrup, we sold for the same price we bought him for.

Neville, Arteta, Johnson, Valente and Lescott are/was good servants to us. Valente was even appointed as a scout for us upon his retirement.

We made profits on Johnson and Lescott.

Really go through a list of ALL of Moyes signings I could probably count the bad ones on one hand. Yes, I am serious.

Oh yeah and he was sold for 2 installments of £10m plus a bunch of add ons actually. Max earning is £27m - although there maybe is a potential 25% of profit sell on clause too but unaware if this still applys....

The Toffees could earn up to an extra £7m over and above the basic £20m transfer fee as United announced the breakdown of payments.

The additional money is payable if the following events happen over the next five years.

:: £1m if United win the Champions League.

:: £500,000 if United are runners-up in the Champions League.

:: £500,000 if United win the Premiership.

:: £250,000 if United finish second in the Premiership.

:: £150,000 if United win the FA Cup.

:: £1.5m if Rooney extends his contract with United.

:: £500,000 if Rooney earns 20 England caps in competitive games while a United player.

:: £500,000 if Rooney plays a further 20 times for England in competitive games while a United player.

Even if none of those things happen in the next five years the Toffees will receive at least an extra £3m, paid in £1m instalments on August 1 2006 and the same date in 2007 and 2008.

Everton have also negotiated a 25% 'sell-on' agreement, under which they would receive a quarter of any excess sum over all amounts paid in this agreement.

Oh and that Kroldrup only game, we were doing alright til we were mugged off with the 2 handballs in the build up to your first goal. Crumbled then. That 4/5 month period (03/04 exception) was Moyes worst time in charge. We lost 4 nil in 3 out of 4 games (away at WBA - yeah, I know..., away at you lot and at home to Bolton...)

Per Kroldrup remains one of the worst buys in Prem history I think.

As a Villa fan you should know one better.

(....not Heskey!)

He's even worse than Balaban in my view. Probably top 5 worst signings in the Prem. Reasonably big money at the time for Everton, plays once, is absolutely woeful, swiftly packed back off to Italy.

Per Kroldrup remains one of the worst buys in Prem history I think.

As a Villa fan you should know one better.

(....not Heskey!)

He's even worse than Balaban in my view. Probably top 5 worst signings in the Prem. Reasonably big money at the time for Everton, plays once, is absolutely woeful, swiftly packed back off to Italy.

But we made no loss on him so even though it was failed what did it cost us? One result? Can't blame that solely on him considering how dreadful we were at that time anyway.

Van Der Meyde was worse, in my view.

I've got no particular desire to be kind to Everton ;), so I'll stick with saying in my view he's one of the worst in the Prem, no loss or not. He was just an absolute stinker of a signing.

Â