Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

His all round Game is awful but i think most people knew that anyway. Was he worth what we paid? Imo no he wasn't but if we can provide him with enough chances he will get us goals so i see no reason why we should be selling him, Its not like anyone would pay what we would want for him anyway.

The thing with Darren is that just when everyones of the opinion he's a bit surplus to requirements here, he pops one in just to remind us WHY we paid all that money for him.

I trust Lambert to realise sooner rather than later that if you put the ball at his feet, six yards from goal, we score.

Get the supply right and the goals will flow.

Goal scorers always get tagged with statistics, it goes with the territory.

The problem with statistics is that they can be interpretted to suit most arguements which can lead on to prove very little.

Darren Bent averages c 1 goal in 3.

yet in 13 seasons he has scored 20+ goals 3 times

It is debatable that you could call him a 20 goal a season striker.

Of course it does follow that the top goalscorers usually play for the best teams.... so supply and interplay is of paramount importance.

Was he worth the money we paid? Definitely. As his goals in that first season kept us in this division. Pure and simple.

Is the way he plays frustrating? Definitely. All the more frustrating because against Newcastle and Swansea he proved he CAN drop deep and get involved with the game, instead on standing on the last man for 90 minutes as a spectator. Why doesn't he do that every game? None of us know. Is he following instructions? Is he lazy? Everyone can make up their own minds.

But, as others have said, with the current lack of quality out wide can we really afford to have him in the team? He scored yesterday so I would give him a little run in the side with Andy and see how things go. But just because he is our marquee signing I would not be afraid to drop him if needs be.

I love db, wanted him at this club for years just not sure we can set ourselves up in such a way to get the best out of him, either because we do not have the players or we cannot actually play the way he needs.

I also think that Lambert could do with 10 or 15m to spend in other areas of the team.

Time will tell

The way to play with bent is with ash just off him and downing and Albrighton banging in crosses. I think that's as good as he's ever been.

He's certainly not above criticism and as THE, if not one of, the top earner at the club his return to wage ratio should be as heavily criticised as Ireland's is if you ask me.

Whether it's all him, the players around him or a combination of both he's simply not doing enough at present to demand what must still be a significant portion of our wage budget.

Tough one for the manager though, nobody in our squad has a record anywhere near as good as Bent's, and his value is only going to decrease on the bench, so I guess you keep picking him in the hope that the chances are created and taken.

But if it was a choice between paying DB9 or Berbatov £80k a week I know which would seem better value for money.

If by supply-line you mean Young, Downing & Milner then it wasn't exactly willing sales in any of those examples. They jumped. Understandably, and in Young's case a deserved move, but it's not like Villa had much choice. And in fairness to them most fans demanded N'Zogbia as Downing's replacement at the time and we got him. Hasn't worked out but them's the breaks and that's football.

Exactly.

Any club that is not getting CL footy regularly will struggle to keep hold of it's top players if the big clubs come sniffing, in fact I'd say the only reason we still have Bent is because none of those clubs want him.

The only thing we can hope for is that the money raiseed from such sales is reinvested in players that are able to at partly fill the gap left behind.

I'm a bit undecided on Darren; he probably would have put away all those chances Benteke had today, but then again, he could have been completely isolated and failed to get involved in the build up play that lead to those chances. We need to play with wingers to play to his strengths, but Albrighton is not good enough to play that role. His crossing was shambolic again today and Bent wouldnt have lived off any of the service from that area!

I don't think we necessarily need wingers. In the first half today the midfielders were generally popping up all over the place and Gabby would run into the channels. With that kind of work ethic and movement you can afford Bent to play up front just sniffing around the box. I don't think he's anywhere near as lazy as people let on anyway. He's pretty much at a goal every other game this season already I think, we need him in the team.

So much nonsense being spoken in this thread. Pure, complete and utter guff.

The whole team was poor today and Bent was no worse than anyone else. The way he won his header for the goal showed real commitment.

How many years did we cry out for a goalscorer at this club? Finally we get one of the best in the business and now people say they want him sold? Shocking. People complain about the lack of loyalty from footballers in the modern era. I find the lack of loyalty from the fans much more depressing.

As I'll repeat till the end of time, we simply signed Bent at the wrong time.

He would've been great in an MON team with crosses coming in from Young and Milner every 5 seconds. Instead MON gambled on Carew and Gaby being great for the whole season. Carew was always likely to be injured at some stage, Gabby is always shite second half of the season.

Bent was the missing link to us getting top 4 during one of those seasons imo.

He'll continue to score goals this season as he's always done but we simply don't have the quality of player we had just three seasons ago so it won't be as good as it could've been, for us and him.

Didn't look a happy bunny in the post match interview today. Didn't smile once. In a way im glad to see it as it shows he wants to play. So Gabby and Bent next match up front.

He was clearly fired up. Bent could sometimes do with getting nastier and being more aggressive in his play.

Good management from PL. Let's see him kick on from here.

Albie's return and Zog's glimmer of form should also help Dazzler.

Â