Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Yes, I've seen 2 weeks become 3, 4 even 6
And I've often seen 2 weeks be just that - 2 weeks. The season doesn't start for just under 4 weeks. I think Bent will be fit for that.

Exactly, no rush at the moment so let him be!

Darren Bent insists Villa are going on the attack this season, on the orders of boss Paul Lambert.

Bent admits he's been thrilled with the rhetoric coming from Lambert in the first three weeks of pre-season.

Villa's star striker, talking to AVFC.co.uk as he toured the Portland Trail Blazers basketball training facility, revealed Lambert addressed the troops on the opening morning to deliver a 'thrill the crowd' rallying call.

Bent says the players were ecstatic about the positive philosophy and now can't wait for the new campaign to begin.

He said: "It's been great. The atmosphere has been amazing. Since the manager has come in, everyone has been buzzing.

"Everyone can't wait for the season to get going. There's real optimism about the season ahead.

"We first felt the optimism in our first session when the gaffer came in and told us how he wanted us to play. It was great because he said he wanted us to play with a real freedom.

"He wants us to be really dangerous and create loads of chances. That's exciting for us. We're really enjoying things and we can't wait to show that.

"He wants us to be an attacking outfit. He has a philosophy where he says 'if we're going to get beat, we're going to get beat having a go.' He wants us to have a right good go at every single team. That's how it should be.

"We have attacking players in the team who can cause real damage and he's told them to go out and do their stuff. So far in pre-season and in training, they have certainly responded.

"It's certainly going to be a dream for me playing that way as a striker.

"Obviously last season was difficult. We were playing 4-5-1 at times and you can become isolated but in this formation that's impossible because it's so attack-minded.

"We have the back four, two who sit in front of the back four but then the other four go and do their stuff. I really feel like it's going to be a good season.

"He never, ever has a go at any player who's in the attacking third, has a go and then gives it away.

"You have Charles and Stevie and he's telling them to just go out and do their stuff. He tells the strikers to get in the box and score goals. It's exciting times.

"It's a new day and a new dawn now for Aston Villa. We have a new manager and players who are really optimistic about the coming campaign. We're behind him 100%.

"We are ready to back him and we'll do whatever he wants us to do. We are all for it and ready to go."

Avfc.co.uk

Sounds good what Lambert is telling the players on how to play.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we going to waste our record signing? Are we going to look back and think we got a good return for the money spent?

We saw how lethal he could be when quality players were around him the first few months of his career. Although his goal to games ratio was decent last year, we also saw how poor he can be with no support and in a team set up to defend.

Now this season as it stands looks like it could be another frustrating one for Bent and another year of wasting one of the best goal scorers in the league.

It's alright saying Lamberts project is long term but it's no good if we wait till Bent is 30+ before bringing in the quality he needs.

It was an amazing signing when it happened but I do wonder if we will look back on him as a success.

Straight swap for Andy Carroll would be a good move for all parties.

...except for Aston Villa

This all day long.

Swap a proven Aston Villa goalscorer for a 35m flop ... TRANSFER GENIUS at it's absolute best!

If you think Bent suffers from a lack of service, cast your mind back to last season when Carroll actually had ample service and was missing sitters by the truck load. He'd **** love it playing for our wingless wonders

:lol:

Straight swap for Andy Carroll would be a good move for all parties.

No It really wouldn't.

This is a quote from RAWK

I reckon there'll be mass suicides across the globe if Carroll becomes first pick or the fulcrum of the attack, even worse finisher than Suarez.

And Suarez is probably one of the worst finishers in the league, Andy carroll is not the answer to our scoring problems.

Â