Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Downing said he was definitely staying at this point last season, he even said he owed us a debt of gratitude for the way we bought him and treated him when he was injured... remember what happened next?

Words really do mean nothing, it may not even be Bent's choice if he stays and goes, he may be next season's transfer kitty and McLeish's redundancy package all rolled into one

dont think bent will go in the summer... won't be able to command a price at which we would consider selling him...

on andy carroll, i think he's going to have a scorcher of a season next year... last few games i've seen him play, he's been fantastic, and i think he will cause defences real problems... in a game with very few successful big men, defences just aren't set up to cope with that sort of threat...

would love to have him here, although not at the expense of bent...

Liverpool has been injury stricken and I think a fully fit liverpool will give Carroll plenty of chances. I think Liverpool will be fine with the racist, Carroll, Kuyt and Gerard next year. Plus I hear rumors that Hulk will be coming to play for Liverpool so Downing will most likely be playing in their reserves where he belongs so Carroll will get better service.

Darren Bent has pledged his future to Aston Villa and promised the squad will get behind the club's new manager.

The 28-year-old, who missed the last three months of the season after rupturing ankle ligaments, was linked with a move away in January.

Villa struggled without Bent, who scored 11 goals, and their 16th-place finish only two points above the relegation zone cost Alex McLeish his job as manager after one season in charge. But despite the upheaval this season, after key players departed, Bent insists he remains committed to the club he joined in January 2011.

"People have asked if I was mis-sold the dream when I signed and if I'm honest I didn't think Ashley Young and Stewart Downing would leave in the same summer," he told the Birmingham Mail.

"But I signed for Aston Villa because I wanted to be here and I still do. I was linked with a transfer out of here all through January and I didn't want that then and I don't want that now.

"It's not been a great season but this is a massive club and we've got to make sure it is a blip that doesn't happen again. It is still a time of transition and we need to do our best to get behind the new manager."

McLeish faced a wall of opposition from fans having been appointed from city rivals Birmingham last summer, and when the club was dragged into a relegation battle the criticism worsened. Bent feels McLeish's sacking may actually have come as something of a relief to the former Birmingham manager.

"The manager wouldn't admit it, I'm sure, but maybe it's a bit of a relief to him after the fans' reaction. Aston Villa fans aren't used to seeing this football club in this position and you can understand why they have got frustrated.

"When they see us down there in the table they will get annoyed and obviously the Birmingham thing didn't help either. But it's all about results and Aston Villa and relegation shouldn't even be in the same sentence. The players must take responsibility too, including me."

Here in the Grauniad

Obviously nothing's ever certain, but 10X better than that fuckhead Downing's end-of-season quotes imo.

• 1 month later...
Yeah the Logic i'm going for is that if Lambert can get Holt to score 17 goals for norwich, then bent should get at least 20, if not 25... He's going thrive big time, he just needs the service.

Come on lads!! haven't you heard the way forward is to sell this muppet and "rebuild" :winkold:

Yeah me too , can't wait to see him back to his best!

Yeah the Logic i'm going for is that if Lambert can get Holt to score 17 goals for norwich, then bent should get at least 20, if not 25... He's going thrive big time, he just needs the service.

Come on lads!! haven't you heard the way forward is to sell this muppet and "rebuild" :winkold:

Yeah me too , can't wait to see him back to his best!

Haha, Yeah I was never one for selling Bent, think he just an invaluable asset that is guaranteed goals, which is hard to find these days...

Â