Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Need him to socre today. had a bet when he signed that he'd score 10 league goal for villa this season. If he does i will use the money for next seasons home shirt with his name on the back. don't let me down darren!

Good article in 442 this month about shot to goal ratios. some notable players

Bent 18.6

Rooney 12.6

Raul 21.1

Ronaldo 11.9

Heskey 11.8

Zlatan 14.8

Inzaghi 18.9

Torres 15.2

Drogba 12.2

Tevez 15.6

Defoe 11.5

Messi 20.9

Higuain 22.2(was the best ratio)

Bent 18.6

Rooney 12.6

Raul 21.1

Ronaldo 11.9

Heskey 11.8

Zlatan 14.8

Inzaghi 18.9

Torres 15.2

Drogba 12.2

Tevez 15.6

Defoe 11.5

Messi 20.9

How is the ratio defined? Shots divided by goals (so Higuain takes 22.2 shots for every goal scored?)? Percentage of shots that find goal? How are penalties accounted for?

Bent 18.6

Rooney 12.6

Raul 21.1

Ronaldo 11.9

Heskey 11.8

Zlatan 14.8

Inzaghi 18.9

Torres 15.2

Drogba 12.2

Tevez 15.6

Defoe 11.5

Messi 20.9

How is the ratio defined? Shots divided by goals (so Higuain takes 22.2 shots for every goal scored?)? Percentage of shots that find goal? How are penalties accounted for?

its over 3 years. I assume its for every 100 shots Higuain took 22.2 were goals. I didnt write it. Call 442 if you have any issues with it

Should probably have squared the ball to Gabby when he was clean through.

I think he shot, which deflected of Reina on to Gabby. Not sure though.

Wasn't really in the game for large parts but that's what you get with him. He also showed some good instinctive play when Petrov's shot was parried away. Oh and the build up play for the goal was excellent, didn't think he could do that.

This thread should be about praising all the work the guy does, not a debate about how good he should be, can be or whatever.

So we should never look for him to improve??

Or point out when he doesnt perfrorm??

Strange how we dont do that with all players??

There really is a will on here to avoid saying anything negative about the fans favourite.

Darren Bent earns 70,000 a week and if he has a bad game, then he should be looking for ways not to have a bad game. Why cant we as well??

I didn't men you can't slate him if he has a bad game, but when has he for us? The times he has been 'poor' so to speak are the ones when he hasn't scored, and he hasn't scored because he has not been given the service that he needs.

What is the point in arguing about him not being the most prolific goalscorer in the PL, when in fact he is in the top 3 anyway, which is far higher than our current position in the table.

I'm trying to say, he won't adapt his game, he has no need to. He isn't the greatest of footballers, he is not like Rooney nor Drogba, but do the majority of us care? I'd say no. He scores goals when he is given the chance and that is good enough for me and a lot of other fans.

He isn't my favourite player at the club but from what I have seen of him so far there is very, very little to slate him about. FWIW, I slate Coker for not being able to play simple passes and not really offering much else other than being a bloody good defensive midfielder.

I bet people aren't giving Hernandez at Utd any stick. Yep, he is slightly younger but he offers the same to Bent. He just has someone around him called Rooney that does his work and his own work so it doesn't look as 'bad'.

Bent would probably score more goals if he was around better players. Oh well, what does it matter to us?

But nobody is slating him? Nobody is argueing over whether he is the best goalscorer in the league.

Were debating whether he is world class or not?

Were debating whether he has different parts to his games

were debating whether he could turn 9 goals in 15 games to 13 goals in 15 games and if so, how he might go about that.

If you and others fail to see that that is NOT slating him then them Im sorry, theres not a lot else I can do because to me its clear as day.

If you dont feel what we are debating is necessary then fine, thats your opinion - dont read the posts.

I happen to quite enjoy the debate as its one which focuses mostly on a positive rather than the drab negatives that flood this site. No ones slagging him off like they do Heskey, or Houllier. No ones saying that he needs to be doing better. Its the Darren Bent thread for god sake, were talking about Darren Bent, and apologies if my opinion is more in depth than 'I want to jizz on his face'.

Rant over

FWIW I disagree with in you in that he didnt score because of a lack of service. He had chances (very good chances) in both wigan games! Thats not me slating him btw, thats me disagreeing with your reasoning for him not scoring in games where he hasnt.

let him take our penalties, that will net him a further 5 goals per season i would guess at least, since he joined we had 3 or 4 penalties none of which he took.

if you 'give' him 3 extra goals for the pens then you would be looking at 12 goals in 15 games, not bad really bearing in mind we were deep in the shit when he arrived.

Wasn't really in the game for large parts but that's what you get with him. He also showed some good instinctive play when Petrov's shot was parried away. Oh and the build up play for the goal was excellent, didn't think he could do that.

he did square it for gabby, it should have been a goal, it would have been if the roles were reversed, gabby doesnt have that poachers instinct like bent has, gabby has explosive pace which is what normally gets him his chances.

he did square it for gabby, it should have been a goal, it would have been if the roles were reversed, gabby doesnt have that poachers instinct like bent has, gabby has explosive pace which is what normally gets him his chances.

Disagree, was just unlucky. Not being in the position is like not being in the actual position of an open goal but being on the edge of the area.

It was just one of those where the squared pass was just inches past Gabby's boot. Right idea, near perfect execution, near unfortunately wasn't quite good enough!

Â