Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I don't see Bent being picked off any time soon. The main issue being - who buys him? He's not going to a CL team, because he's not good enough. And who else is out there who can afford to throw the money we'd want to sell him already at us? The moment he went for the money he did, to us, he was basically secured as not really going anywhere for a while at least.

In a couple of years time, different story, as I said.

I don't see Bent being picked off any time soon. The main issue being - who buys him? He's not going to a CL team, because he's not good enough. And who else is out there who can afford to throw the money we'd want to sell him already at us? The moment he went for the money he did, to us, he was basically secured as not really going anywhere for a while at least.

Pretty much how I feel, the bid would have to be at least £30m for us to be even interested.

He will stay, we will buy quality to replace those who leave anyway.

agreed but i very much doubt that we will replace young and downing with players of the same quality

You probably doubted that when Barry left and we moved Milner inside and bought in Downing with the Barry money. I would argue that Downing > Barry and we improved as a side.

Admittedly, we did not replace Milner although that money effectively bought Bent I suppose and he was what we needed.

We can use the money to bring in players that can be better and cam improve the team.

He will stay, we will buy quality to replace those who leave anyway.

agreed but i very much doubt that we will replace young and downing with players of the same quality

You probably doubted that when Barry left and we moved Milner inside and bought in Downing with the Barry money. I would argue that Downing > Barry and we improved as a side.

Admittedly, we did not replace Milner although that money effectively bought Bent I suppose and he was what we needed.

We can use the money to bring in players that can be better and cam improve the team.

i meant like for like replacements though, i think our only option is to sign a young, up and coming replacement such as matt philips and hope that he will reach the level of young or downing

i meant like for like replacements though, i think our only option is to sign a young, up and coming replacement such as matt philips and hope that he will reach the level of young or downing

Maybe it is not a bad thing that we can't go like for like. A lot of people are a bit disenchanted with the 4-4-2 counterattacking wing play and fed up with getting overrun in the middle. Maybe this gives us the opportunity to change our style somewhat? Or then again we may end up with The Zog and Albie out wide - not far behind the two mentioned IMO and gives us £25m left over for another winger and an ACM.

Bent is pleading with Young and Downing to stay for another year. Kendrick Twitter
I hope he is successful and I hope the rapid appointment of a top quality new manager and a couple of exciting class players also helps the persuasion

I hope.

after the comments from downing, it leaves a horid taste in the mouth. I think he knew he would of burnt a lot of bridges with the fans with the comments and maybe he is forcing a move, only time will tell.

As for Bent, he has a very handsome contract and I think he will be here for few years. its usually when the player has 2 years left theat they send out the vibes they want to leave, meaning with 12 months left, they get sold for risk of the selling club letting them leave for nothing.

What makes me feel better is that there are better replacement out there, if ash and downing go.

But he is good enough. What does the man have to do?

Have a better all round game. If he was good enough, he'd be playing for them now. I think these days it takes more than just goals to be a big money player for a top team, which is part of the reason I think when we bought him the talk comparing him to Rooney and Drogba, whilst accurate, was slightly disingenuous.

Bent, unfortunately for himself, finds himself in an odd niche, imo. He scores enough to be compared to the very best, but that is the pinacle of his game and the rest of it is lacking behind. Because of that though, and his being English also working in his favour, he's in demand amongst a lower tier of clubs, clubs who simply desire a goalscorer, and because of that his price and his stock has risen to the point where the big clubs, who might have liked a simple proven goalscorer at the right money now look and think he's too expensive to justify what else he brings to the table.

IMO, basically because of his appeal to a small niche of clubs who will pay over the odds for a goalscorer alone, he'll be stuck below that elite tier until he either runs a contract low enough to become considerably cheaper, or until he becomes a much more well rounded footballer. Otherwise, he will carve out a (good) career at the likes of our level, not at the very top but more often than not in the also rans of top half football.

Its for that reason that I think he'll probably move on from here in a couple of seasons. Someone around our kind of level, maybe a little lower, with a bit of cash, will approach us for him with a decent offer that we take in the hope we can invest in a striker that has that little bit more to his game.

Aston Villa have smashed their transfer record in signing Sunderland and England striker Darren Bent in a deal which could eventually cost them £24m.

The 26-year-old has completed a medical and his deal will tie him to the West Midlands club until June 2015.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/9364092.stm

So he signed till June 2015 - a four and a half year deal

Could we have not pushed him to sign till June 2016 - a five and a half year deal?

Like talkshite its too easy a story to come out that Bent could leave as we all know that the London Media hate the thought of an England striker playing in the Midlands and though I agree the next manager is important I still think Randy is aware of what he must do and Mclaren would not even be on his short list in my opinion as its not as though he will make the players want to stay.

Â